byurick48

need thoughts and opinions on Power of The Dark Side Class Deck

I am thinking about going with this deck, wanted to know if it was good and what cards can be skipped or are must buys. and if anyone has any recommended buying order. Thank you

Just finished a campaign using this deck. The deck itself was pretty effective, I would rate it above average but it isn't the strongest deck.  I won every mission in the campaign (my Rebels didn't want me to go easy on them) but the Imperial class deck wasn't the only factor that caused the landslide.

My build order was:

1. Dark Resurgence (1xp) - was facing Verena so thought it would help minimize Close Quarters.  Often ended up using it early in the first round to get a bit of a lead in missions.
  2. Unnatural Abilities (3xp) - my Rebels found it to be too OP when combined with AT-DP so I did not use it on AT-DP for the rest of the campaign.  I often used it on single figure deployments but in hindsight it was not overly effective because Mak was able to pierce through the extra defense and do decent damage even with the evade.
  3. Power of Passion (4xp) - very good when used on the right figures.  Particularly Sentry Droids and Riot Troopers but I found the best combo was Elite Riot Troopers.  Reliably getting that +2 damage surge and being able to use Manifest Aggression to gain 2 damage tokens at the start of the round - those guys can deal some serious damage.
  4. Supernatural Vigor (2xp) - only had this at the end of the campaign so hard to judge how effective it would be if picked up earlier.  I was actually considering the other 2xp card (Embrace Anger) but my Rebels were already feeling like they were getting wounded too quickly and this would have only accelerated that (albeit at a cost).

I would strongly recommend Dark Resurgence and Power of Passion.  Unnatural Abilites can be great if used correctly but does somewhat depend on what heroes you're facing and what items they have.  I think Supernatural Vigor could be skipped in favor of something else.

Embrace Anger is the better 2xp card I'd say. Trade your figure damage for extra damage on the Rebels if you are trying to go for a wound

Surprised at your evaluation of Power of Passion. With only unnatural abilities and starting card to give tokens, seems hard for you to get more than +1 surge out of the card a round (rebels killing the figures you put tokens on, unnatural abilities doesn't kick in for a full round)

On 1/2/2018 at 6:16 PM, frotes said:

Embrace Anger is the better 2xp card I'd say. Trade your figure damage for extra damage on the Rebels if you are trying to go for a wound

Surprised at your evaluation of Power of Passion. With only unnatural abilities and starting card to give tokens, seems hard for you to get more than +1 surge out of the card a round (rebels killing the figures you put tokens on, unnatural abilities doesn't kick in for a full round)

I agree on Embrace Anger.  I was going to get it but my Rebel players were already complaining about how quickly they were getting wounded. 

Like I mentioned in the post above, Power of Passion with Elite Riot Troopers can deal an insane amount of damage and are difficult to remove in a single activation, especially if deployed in way that makes it difficult to get two attacks onto them.  That's the reason I was getting great value out of it.  Granted, Military Might has easier access to getting the +2 damage surge (Shock Troopers) but I found Power of Passion really increased the amount of damage I was able to deal.

Did you skip Power of Passion?  I could see there being decent builds that forgo it.

18 minutes ago, machfalcon said:

Did you skip Power of Passion?  I could see there being decent builds that forgo it.

No, I haven't gotten that far yet in my HotE. I was thinking more that Embrace Suffering would be the better 4xp pick. The guys at BoardWars seemed to have been gushing over this card after using it in both their campaigns and I see a lot of potential in it late game. Turning the Rebel's own T3 weapons against themselves, using their abilities and spending their strain/focus.

1 minute ago, frotes said:

No, I haven't gotten that far yet in my HotE. I was thinking more that Embrace Suffering would be the better 4xp pick. The guys at BoardWars seemed to have been gushing over this card after using it in both their campaigns and I see a lot of potential in it late game. Turning the Rebel's own T3 weapons against themselves, using their abilities and spending their strain/focus.

Yeah, Embrace Suffering is definitely one of the better if not best threat to use cards but I generally shy away from using threat for class abilities.  I could see a focused Mak doing some insane damage with Ambush and a Tier 3 weapon.  One nice thing about Embrace Suffering is that I believe you could use threat gained during "End of Round" effects since it is the same timing window which is already after the Deploy/Reinforce step.  The downside is that you could reinforce a regular Riot Trooper for that same cost which can fairly reliably deal 2-3 damage per round and takes 1-2 actions to remove.  I'm sure an Embrace Suffering attack could easily deal 6+ damage but that damage could be recovered (unless of course you manage to wound the Rebel which is actually fairly likely).  Hmm... now I want to play another campaign and try this...

Yes you can use end of round threat gains from events (or normal threat gain at beginning of status phase)

The usefulness of the card varies depending on which heroes the Rebels have and what abilities/weapons. Just the fact that it's on the board will force the Rebels to reconsider how they position and use their abilities (otherwise you could take advantage of it). Also almost any attack ability that causes strain will make them suffer more. And if a Rebels gets a stun weapon, you can use it to stun them

2 threat is high but 1 threat would have been too cheap for the card. A riot trooper would be the best use case for 2 threat but most of the time you are just getting 4hp worth of figure that will die before it gets to go late in the campaign. Of course this can depend on the situation. Also you can always use the top part of this card to move a Rebel away or out of position