Sorastro

Sorastro's Painting

8 minutes ago, jgibbs2 said:

hey @Sorastro curious as to why you chose to prime the scout troopers differently than the stormtroopers? 

Hes done almost all of the different stormie eps differently (check his ia stuff). Doing the same thing every time isn't really teaching much or would make for rather short vids

24 minutes ago, jgibbs2 said:

hey @Sorastro curious as to why you chose to prime the scout troopers differently than the stormtroopers? 

Hi!  Good question!  A Corax White prime for the scout bikers would be OK but I chose a darker grey just to create more depth in the shadows - especially under the visor (which the Stormtroopers don't have).  The Stormtroopers have a lot more white on them so I wanted to use a paler grey that would create a more subtle gradation to the pure white.  I think using Mechanicus Standard Grey on the Stormtroopers followed with white from above could produce some rather obvious (and possibly grainy-looking) transitions between the tones - especially for the large, curved surfaces of the thighs for example.  :)

21 minutes ago, Ralgon said:

Hes done almost all of the different stormie eps differently (check his ia stuff). Doing the same thing every time isn't really teaching much or would make for rather short vids

This is true!  I hope I never stop searching for new or better ways of doing things :)

5 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

Out of curiosity, if you remember, for the stormies which method took less time, relatively? 

The Legion method looks to be optimized for least amount of time/detail. I'll probably be using method 2 until I can't do it anymore before switching to this method.

8 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

Out of curiosity, if you remember, for the stormies which method took less time, relatively? 

Hi!  That does partly depend on how much work you wish to put into the "optional" extras - such as the grey lining and the highlighting - but overall I think the method I used for Legion is a fair bit quicker (and easier!) :)

5 hours ago, Dave Grant said:

Sorastro - just a note to say really impressed with the videos: Clear, easy to understand and professionally done.

Well done sir

Thanks a lot Dave!  I really appreciate that and I'm glad you're enjoying the guides :)

1 hour ago, Zephyr444 said:

Sorastro, you are the reason I'm buying Legion.  I love your videos like everyone here and I can't wait to use your methods.  I have to ask though:  what's something you want them to put into Legion so you could paint it?  

Thank you Zephyr! 

Oh wow that's a good question... I grew up with the original trilogy so all of the key characters from those movies are close to my heart and I'd love to have a go at painting them in new poses and with the increased "Legion" scale.  Aside from characters that I've already painted for IA however, I'd love to paint a Yoda!  Ackbar would also be cool.. (I'd also like to paint a Legion Emperor - even though I haven't yet painted the IA version!)

There are characters from the newer movies that would also be fun to paint - Phasma for example, or Poe in his orange flight suit perhaps, or K-2SO...  I also like some of the trooper colous schemes from Rogue One... The list goes on! :)

1 hour ago, Sentry71 said:

I'm really looking forward to seeing how you do a T-47 airspeeder. Do you know (and can you share) if you will be doing the further expansions beyond the core set?

Hi Sentry! 

I certainly will be covering further expansions post launch!  I won't be able to cover everything in the videos, but certainly the most exciting and interesting figures. :)

On 02/03/2018 at 3:09 PM, KalEl814 said:

@Sorastro Any chance of a pic with an IA Stormie and a Legion Stormie side by side? Not sure if you need Lord Mouse’s approval for such things, but it doesn’t hurt to ask!

Google works...there are some out there. I've been begging for an AT-ST comparison with Bandai :(