Sorastro

Sorastro's Painting

13 minutes ago, VAYASAN said:

Hmm, only watched without sound as im at work...but arnt they grey?

Except for white scars Armour the citadel app basecoats all whites in a light grey, so highlights stand out better i presume

Im only going by the last bits in the vid (and with no sound as I say) but they look grey?  Can see the White highlights but they still look grey?

Im all for saving time doing Troopers, just did some more IA heavy Troopers and I forgot how faffy the white is after the nuln(even watered down) was :)

Edited by VAYASAN

20 hours ago, yellowSkin said:

@Sorastro - I must be honest. I was skeptical when everybody complemented you about beginner + advanced techniques.  Not that I didn't believe that you can paint, more that it is not easy to address address the 'needs' of both of these groups of painters (beginner vs non-beginner).

Then I watched the Rebel painting tutorial...

You are one of my favorite painting heros since today. The zenital (?) highlighting technique for example is super easy to achieve yet still an advanced technique when you maximise the effect with the brush. 

Thank you so much!  I'm working harder than ever with this series to reach a wider range of painters which is a tricky thing to pull off so I'm very grateful for your kind feedback :)

15 hours ago, VictoryLeo said:

I've been painting miniatures for years but your videos are great sir! Saw some new tricks to use and your videos are relaxing as ****. Like a warm hobby blanket. Keep it up!

Lol - thanks VictoryLeo :)

14 hours ago, Timinater said:

Image result for Get well soon

Thanks Timinater!  I'm still not feeling 100% but I think the worst is over :)

9 hours ago, Rammstein117 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mA41pvjiXw

Considering this style for stormtroopers, seems cleaner than using nuln oil which has too dark of a shading look.

Thanks for sharing this Rammstein117!  I've been experimenting with a range of techniques for painting the Stormtroopers - including more localised shading of the recesses like we can see here.  I've not yet come to a final decision on how to approach mine but I think this approach certainly has merits :)

Edited by Sorastro

I started painting again because Sorastro's IA videos inspired me to believe I could be good at it.  2 years later, I am a Sorastro Patreon, I paint a few nights a week, and I'm loving bringing those mini's to the table.  Thanks man!  I can only urge you all to support him via his Patreon channel!

8 hours ago, yellowSkin said:

Thank you for this, I have been struggling with white for a long time and this seems a very easy way to shade white. 

Thanks! 

Sorastro's Heavy Stormtrooper video uses zenithal highlight and a thinned nuln oil that greatly increases the speed and quality at which you can paint the stormtrooper armor.

Pure white primer and a straight nuln oil are indeed a pain to paint.

For those interested on rust painting, Sorastro's rust and chipping effects are great.

I did similar with my AT-STs from IS, but I use oil based paint effects to enhance the streaking and grime effects.  I don't dry brush or wash at all, though, and instead use the "panneling" or "modulation" technique to get shade and color gradients.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B56l29DzQL6ieE1TTnpoa1NhZDA/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B56l29DzQL6iSkhtWW5rQ2tDa2s/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B56l29DzQL6iclY5eEkxbW11U00/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B56l29DzQL6iUjBPS1BwcXp6QUE/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B56l29DzQL6iYnVtQ1ZEdHM5N2c/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B56l29DzQL6iY3VjMm4zNXhyQ1E/view?usp=drivesdk

3 hours ago, Zrob314 said:

Question, how are you guys posting more than one picture?

I try to post more than 1 in 25 hours and it says I'm out of space.  

Help?

links from a hosting site

On 1/3/2018 at 8:49 AM, Sorastro said:

Ha ha!  The only ETA I can offer is "soon" and yes, I'll be covering the Stormtroopers next, followed with the speeder bikes then Vader :)

Hey Sorastro how are things coming? Do you have any update to this ETA?

20 minutes ago, NukeMaster said:

Hey Sorastro how are things coming? Do you have any update to this ETA?

Hey NukeMaster! 

I've been sitting on the next episodes for a couple of weeks now but can't release them until they pass through an approval process that is beyond my control.  Rest assured I'll release them as soon as I can (they'll cover the Stormtroopers and the Speeder Bikes, with Vader to follow later in March). :)

8 minutes ago, Sorastro said:

Hey NukeMaster! 

I've been sitting on the next episodes for a couple of weeks now but can't release them until they pass through an approval process that is beyond my control.  Rest assured I'll release them as soon as I can (they'll cover the Stormtroopers and the Speeder Bikes, with Vader to follow later in March). :)

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to them.

15 minutes ago, Mep said:

**** you Disney and your desire to have this never happen again.

hqdefault.jpg

Note: reprinting of this historical image was not Disney approved.

Ok...I'm confused

2 minutes ago, Nihm said:

Ok...I'm confused

From wikipedia: Edited by me just in case there is a word filter on the forums 

"Controversy arose regarding the artwork for the cover for the Classics VHS cassette when the film was first released on video when close examination of the artwork revealed an oddly shaped structure on the castle, closely resembling a human "member". Disney and the cover designer insist it was an accident, resulting from a late night rush job to finish the cover artwork. The questionable object does not appear on the cover of the second releasing of the movie"

1 hour ago, Mep said:

**** you Disney and your desire to have this never happen again.

hqdefault.jpg

Note: reprinting of this historical image was not Disney approved.

Would have thought the rescuers recall would have been the driving force......