Sorastro

Sorastro's Painting

On 1/3/2018 at 9:21 PM, Thevshi said:

Jack, I think Sorastro's painting guide for Finn Signis from Imperial Assault gives a pretty close base for painting rebels in the box art theme.  It at least could provide some basic ideas that you could build on.  That was what I was planning to use to help try to guide painting a squad of rebels.

Thanks for the advice! This could definitely help as far as figuring out the colors and techniques for the light, and dark browns, as well as the skin and gun. He does resemble one of the legion rebels, so this video could really help.

23 minutes ago, Kojib said:

@Sorastro when ‘thinning’ any colours, for example when you thin the black+brown mix for the boots of the rebel soldiers, what do you use?

would water suffice when thinning down paints?

M

Im curious too because I know some people uses distilled water (specially when airbrushing) but normal is fine to thin paints IMO.

10 hours ago, Kojib said:

@Sorastro when ‘thinning’ any colours, for example when you thin the black+brown mix for the boots of the rebel soldiers, what do you use?

would water suffice when thinning down paints?

M

Hi Kojib!

Yes I usually just thin with regular water.  Having said that, there would be nothing wrong with mixing in a drop or two of Lahmian Medium or Glaze Medium if you like.  I know some people thin all their colours with medium, although I personally think it's a good idea to learn how to thin with just water so as not to become "dependant" on the use of a medium all the time :)

25 minutes ago, Sorastro said:

Hi Kojib!

Yes I usually just thin with regular water.  Having said that, there would be nothing wrong with mixing in a drop or two of Lahmian Medium or Glaze Medium if you like.  I know some people thin all their colours with medium, although I personally think it's a good idea to learn how to thin with just water so as not to become "dependant" on the use of a medium all the time :)

You’re a marvel Sir! Thanks

30 minutes ago, Sorastro said:

Hi Kojib!

Despite being a pretty experienced painter, I discovered your vids on Imperial Assault when I bought it last year and have been a huge fan and follower since (must get round to patroning :))

While I often thin paints, I find it difficult to paint using the level of thinning you appear to use in your paint pallet, they look so watery and when I go that thin my paint is all over the place on the model.

I take it with Legion approaching, IA stuff will now take a very much back seat or even be finished, I bought Heart of empire last week only to discover to my horror there was no Sorastro vid for the models :D

Cant wait for more Legion stuff!!

41 minutes ago, VAYASAN said:

Despite being a pretty experienced painter, I discovered your vids on Imperial Assault when I bought it last year and have been a huge fan and follower since (must get round to patroning :))

While I often thin paints, I find it difficult to paint using the level of thinning you appear to use in your paint pallet, they look so watery and when I go that thin my paint is all over the place on the model.

I take it with Legion approaching, IA stuff will now take a very much back seat or even be finished, I bought Heart of empire last week only to discover to my horror there was no Sorastro vid for the models :D

Cant wait for more Legion stuff!!

Thanks Vayasan! 

Yes I do go pretty thin with the consistency for some of the highlights for sure.  To help avoid flooding the minituare when the paint is thin like that, try unloading some of the paint from the brush on some paper first; that should make it easier to control.

Although I’ve had to pause the IA stuff to help work though the core box of Legion, I will definitely be doing some more very soon (I was actually scheduled to do Ahsoka Tano this week but have been unwell) :)

Guys, what's the best way to clean brushes? Particularly incredibly small ones? I feel like I'm going to destroy the bristles by touching them. 

I picked up the Army Painter Hobby Brush Starter set... and the brush is SO SMALL. I tried my first bit of painting last night on an IA Stormtrooper, and had a great time. Then I came to the realization that I really didn't know how to properly clean my brushes. 

I soaked in water, and tried to wipe off thoroughly on a paper towel by rolling the brush to maintain the point (as I saw in a YouTube video) but what else should I be doing? Particularly with the detailing brush - that one has me worried!

1 hour ago, Copes said:

Guys, what's the best way to clean brushes? Particularly incredibly small ones? I feel like I'm going to destroy the bristles by touching them. 

I picked up the Army Painter Hobby Brush Starter set... and the brush is SO SMALL. I tried my first bit of painting last night on an IA Stormtrooper, and had a great time. Then I came to the realization that I really didn't know how to properly clean my brushes. 

I soaked in water, and tried to wipe off thoroughly on a paper towel by rolling the brush to maintain the point (as I saw in a YouTube video) but what else should I be doing? Particularly with the detailing brush - that one has me worried!

Luke warm water and hand soap work pretty well for acrylics paints.

There are also specific brush cleaning soaps that include conditioners for the bristles.

@Sorastro - I must be honest. I was skeptical when everybody complemented you about beginner + advanced techniques.  Not that I didn't believe that you can paint, more that it is not easy to address address the 'needs' of both of these groups of painters (beginner vs non-beginner).

Then I watched the Rebel painting tutorial...

You are one of my favorite painting heros since today. The zenital (?) highlighting technique for example is super easy to achieve yet still an advanced technique when you maximise the effect with the brush. 

1 hour ago, nungunz said:

Luke warm water and hand soap work pretty well for acrylics paints.

There are also specific brush cleaning soaps that include conditioners for the bristles.

Thanks! Hopefully one use without the conditioner hasn't hurt my brushes. 

How can I ensure I am careful with the incredibly tiny detailed brush. Any additional advice for keeping its tip as fine as I need it to be?

13 minutes ago, Copes said:

How can I ensure I am careful with the incredibly tiny detailed brush. Any additional advice for keeping its tip as fine as I need it to be?

There are a few things I try to do and help me keep a good tip:

1. Try to store the brush flat (i.e. horizontal);
  2. Don't get too much paint on the brush (i.e. it may not reach the metal part);
  3. Use brush cleaner once every week or so (when painting on a daily base). 

Hope this helps. Note that the quality of the brush also extends brush life + brush tip. 

9 hours ago, Sorastro said:

Thanks Vayasan! 

Yes I do go pretty thin with the consistency for some of the highlights for sure.  To help avoid flooding the minituare when the paint is thin like that, try unloading some of the paint from the brush on some paper first; that should make it easier to control.

Although I’ve had to pause the IA stuff to help work though the core box of Legion, I will definitely be doing some more very soon (I was actually scheduled to do Ahsoka Tano this week but have been unwell) :)

Image result for Get well soon

5 hours ago, Copes said:

Conditioner isn't needed all that often.

Overall, try not to load the brush with paint all the way to the heel (base). You only really need to load up to the belly ("fat" part in the middle).

Rinse the brush often (Do not let then sit in the water) and dry by just brushing the water off on a paper towel.

Either store horizontally or upright if you want, you can put the plastic protector cap on (not all brushes are sold with this).

When washing, you can gently rub the bristles between your fingers and then shape the tips to points. Let then air dry after washing with soap and rinsing.

If you want, brush conditioner can be left in without rinsing, but you'll want to give a light rinse before the next paint session.

9 hours ago, Copes said:

I use juice box straws to cover the tips and bristles while in storage bins

Edited by Nihm
Added info

Water is not always pure, if you drink ground water or get treated water the various additives in the water could affect your painting in a bad way.

I am not too sure what the acceptable range of Ph values there would be before it affects your painting. But I would question the need to distill tap water for painting, if it is OK for you to drink!