Sorastro

Sorastro's Painting

What do you mean when you say it's alright if it looks a little rough at this point? I think it was during the base coat section.

Also do you have a video that covers shading technique? I mean what you're looking for and trying to accomplish. What you can do if you don't have the budget to buy a bunch of colors and matching shades.

2 hours ago, Sorastro said:

Ha ha!  The only ETA I can offer is "soon" and yes, I'll be covering the Stormtroopers next, followed with the speeder bikes then Vader :)

You weren't kidding when you said "soon." I'm used to that meaning "it'll get here eventually" from people.

43 minutes ago, NukeMaster said:

What do you mean when you say it's alright if it looks a little rough at this point? I think it was during the base coat section.

Also do you have a video that covers shading technique? I mean what you're looking for and trying to accomplish. What you can do if you don't have the budget to buy a bunch of colors and matching shades.

Hi NukeMaster!  

I just mean that it's OK if things are a little inaccurate in the early stages of the painting as there will still be further highlights and weathering etc. to go on top.

The shading I've used for these figures is very simple - I'm just covering the whole mini with the shade which is designed to settle more in the recesses than on the flat or raised areas; this is just a nice easy way to bring definition to the model and some depth to the shadows.

Regarding reducing the number of paints required, just remember that it's not essential to use my exact colours.  So I mixed two colours for the base tone of my AT-RT for example, whereas - as mentioned in the video - you could use any pale grey colour you like.  That means you only need to use a single colour instead of two.  I also suggest that the highlights aren't essential, so by skipping them you'll also be reducing the number of colours required.  My advice to people just starting out in the hobby is to just buy the paints needed for one particular model or group of models at a time, and build your paint collection up gradually so as not to hurt your wallet too much in one go.

I hope this helps! :)

Another great video. I am dying for your Empire videos... can't wait to see them. I just bought brushes and was going to dive into my IA Stormtroopers based on the guide you have, however perhaps now I'll wait and see what you do for the Legion troopers. 

Now that you've (presumably) painted the figures for the 6 videos you mention, any thought on which set is easier for beginner painters - Rebels or Imperials? Also, should I dive into my IA Stormies now (my first mini - a prep for Legion) or wait to hear more from you? ;) 

Awesome Sorastro... While I am a long time painter.. I see the benefit in painting tutorials.. Every one can always learn something new..

Additional advice I would give to new painters.. are this...

Paint with Friends..

Know when to quit painting.  

Only you has to be satisfied with the paint job..

You don't have to use the exact paints he does..  but priming is important..

Aces...

1 hour ago, NukeMaster said:

What you can do if you don't have the budget to buy a bunch of colors and matching shades.

I bought a 24 acrylic paint set from A.C. Moore a few months ago and simply mix my own colors, and dilute it with water. It's daunting at first not having all the colors you want, but not that big of a deal when you realize other people won't care if you used name brand paints. 

Mixing your own paints can also stretch each tube even farther because you use a little of a few colors, which ends up making a lot once you add some water. Add a little tan/white/yellow to brighten the color, or add brown/grey/black to darken it. It's really effective because you can create a wide gradient of colors from your base coat.

The only bad thing is the pigment is unique each time so you won't have consistency with a color scheme. It's best to buy a specific pot of paint and use that as your base, and mix other cheaper paints to create a gradient. I recently bought a Citadel grey color for $4, and that pot will last for a few years because I mix a small amount with my other paints.

I'd suggest you pick up Nuln Oil, or an equivalent wash. It really brings the minis to life once you shade it. That's around $4-$7 normally and will last a very long time if you mix it with water.

16 minutes ago, Copes said:

Another great video. I am dying for your Empire videos... can't wait to see them. I just bought brushes and was going to dive into my IA Stormtroopers based on the guide you have, however perhaps now I'll wait and see what you do for the Legion troopers. 

Now that you've (presumably) painted the figures for the 6 videos you mention, any thought on which set is easier for beginner painters - Rebels or Imperials? Also, should I dive into my IA Stormies now (my first mini - a prep for Legion) or wait to hear more from you? ;) 

Hi Copes! 

I'm planning to experiment with some alternative approaches to painting the Stormtroopers to make them as easy as possible (given how many of them there are!) so it might be worth holding fire until I get the video finished.  If I'm successful then I anticipate the Empire being a fair bit easier to paint than the rebels, expect perhaps for Darth Vader! :)

@Lord Ashram

Have you ever been to a con where FFG has there huge demo and branding team?  It helps to interact with them, as they want to put there best foot forward.

There may have been some very, very early Sorastro fans who interacted with FFG staff at cons (bribed, plied with drinks, threatened with ice pics) to take a look at the Maestro’s early work on IA.  And since he puts a lot of care into his work, which easily shows through, it takes very little proding after that. 

Also, some of the of FFG team themselves are very dedicated painters and hobbyists.

It’s not the only way but it’s one way to get on their radar.

I have a friend who was just hangging out as a fanboy at Weta during The Lord of the Rings, but his persistence got him a job with them and years later not only was he working for Weta on The Hobbit, he got to be IN The Hobbit as an extra.

I myself help with running about 400+ volunteers for another gaming company yearly, much in part through meeting people at cons.

Much luck in your endeavors.

Edited by Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

32 minutes ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

@Lord Ashram

Hide contents

Have you ever been to a con where FFG has there huge demo and branding team?  It helps to interact with them, as they want to put there best foot forward.

There may have been some very, very early Sorastro fans who interacted with FFG staff at cons (bribed, plied with drinks, threatened with ice pics) to take a look at the Maestro’s early work on IA.  And since he puts a lot of care into his work, which easily shows through, it takes very little proding after that. 

Also, some of the of FFG team themselves are very dedicated painters and hobbyists.

It’s not the only way but it’s one way to get on their radar.

I have a friend who was just hangging out as a fanboy at Weta during The Lord of the Rings, but his persistence got him a job with them and years later not only was he working for Weta on The Hobbit, he got to be IN The Hobbit as an extra.

I myself help with running about 400+ volunteers for another gaming company yearly, much in part through meeting people at cons.

Much luck in your endeavors.

Hey man!

No, never gone to one... I only get to maybe one con a year, and I generally go to the wargames ones, like Historicon or whatever... there isn't usually a lot of crossover.

I'm not really looking to get involved, I don't think... but it might be a lot of fun.  I've been doing toy soldier stuff for a lot of years, and would love to tackle some Star Wars projects!

Anyway, thanks for the advice!:)

Jack, I think Sorastro's painting guide for Finn Signis from Imperial Assault gives a pretty close base for painting rebels in the box art theme.  It at least could provide some basic ideas that you could build on.  That was what I was planning to use to help try to guide painting a squad of rebels.

Edited by Thevshi

1 hour ago, Undeadguy said:

I'm also curious about this. Sorastro, for the AT-RT, you use a nail polish brush. Did the glue bottle come with this or your own doing?

Hi folks!  For the AT-RT episode I was using a superglue by Loctite that comes with brush applicator.  In Episode 2 I was using some small tubes of GW stuff.  I think most super glue would be fine to be honest :)

3 hours ago, Mep said:

That is so frickin good. It even has frickin trees that will break off half way through the first game.

Lol Mep! 

I have actually played a game with my painted Rebel forces and not only did I thrash the Empire (although Vader made sushi out of Luke), but the trees held their ground.  The part you need to worry about is that long aerial on the top which is very brittle and incredibly easy to break :)