Karneck

Why can't EA make a Star Wars Space Sim

I know I've spoken on this before, but it would be great if another company, licensed by Disney/Lucasfilm, could do a remakes of X-wing/TIE Fighter/X Wing vs TIE Fighter/X-wing Alliance for consoles in VR.   And definitely with better controls than EA's crappy "Battlefront II" controls for starfighters.   (Yes, ultimately, the controls for starfighters in BFII still suck.)

9 minutes ago, Visovics said:

Disney seems to be controlling EA after Battlefront 2 actually... They are the ones that pressured EA into greatly reducing the price of heroes and removing microtransactions, I think they are keeping a tight control of them at the moment

I wish Dusney would just buy them and clean house. 

Edited by GrandAdmiralCrunch

4 hours ago, Visovics said:

Disney seems to be controlling EA after Battlefront 2 actually... They are the ones that pressured EA into greatly reducing the price of heroes and removing microtransactions, I think they are keeping a tight control of them at the moment

Wasn't that more about putting the kibosh on any ongoing negative publicity on the eve of their huge new film than a yearning for greater control over what they're doing at EA? I'm sure the license agreement gives The Mouse a considerable amount of control to begin with.

The microtransactions didn't make it in the game in the first place without licencor approval.  

11 hours ago, E-Man720 said:

That looks like it's a Mod  for a game called Rebel Galaxy.

That's the company who made the pitch. They heavily modified their current engine to show what it was capable of.

6 hours ago, Karneck said:

That's the company who made the pitch. They heavily modified their current engine to show what it was capable of.

I saw a video about it afterwards. Such a shame as it would have been amazing.

On 03/01/2018 at 0:03 PM, martok2112 said:

I know I've spoken on this before, but it would be great if another company, licensed by Disney/Lucasfilm, could do a remakes of X-wing/TIE Fighter/X Wing vs TIE Fighter/X-wing Alliance for consoles in VR.   And definitely with better controls than EA's crappy "Battlefront II" controls for starfighters.   (Yes, ultimately, the controls for starfighters in BFII still suck.)

Tbh the controls aren’t that bad. They’re simple enough that beginners can try, yet complex enough that pros can really fly

1 hour ago, Jabby said:

Tbh the controls aren’t that bad. They’re simple enough that beginners can try, yet complex enough that pros can really fly

The new system in Battlefront II is incorrectly named. It is a sort of mashup of arcade and advanced. The craft roll when you use yaw plus there is a roll control that's as much a "Let's try SPINNING!" control (easy barrel rolls) as actually changing the orientation of the craft. Even with the advanced flight controls "off" you can still find yourself "upside down." I couldn't use it and had to go back to the basic system as the yaw roll and actual roll control kept crossing my wires. 

Edited by Frimmel

I can fly the ships decently if I don't have to really do a lot of jinking/banking/rolling.

The problems largely lie in the control configuration, and in the imbalance of the stick sensitivity.     There needs to be a greater degree of sensitivity for yaw.  I know that depending on your configuration, another attribute is placed along with it just like on the other stick, but the problem is, if you are in combat, you have to push the yaw all the way over to one side or the other just to "start" yawing, and inadvertently, whatever other maneuver/speed characteristic is paired with it on that stick ends up coming into play....and that can result in overcorrection/overshooting/falling behind/winding up bassackwards, and a lot of missed shots.  Thia has occurred no matter which configuration, and how many adjustments I've tried.

Again, fully customizable controls would be a good answer, but some companies seem to balk at allowing a player to customize the controllers to their liking.   If I was able to, I would set up my controls like Ace Combat 6, or even Jedi Starfighter.     If the ships handled like they did in the VR Xwing scenario, that would be great. :)

Edited by martok2112

My other big issue with the Battlefront II system is that you fly the cursor and not the craft. You're I think meant to handle all the vehicles the same way you handle a soldier. The starfighter mode is still fun and certainly an improvement on the last game but I wanted to fly the ship and that's not what you're doing. 

I tend to think the point of the system was to intentionally cross up flying compared to other games. I've seen many complaints about not being able to use joysticks from PC players. 

4 hours ago, Frimmel said:

My other big issue with the Battlefront II system is that you fly the cursor and not the craft. You're I think meant to handle all the vehicles the same way you handle a soldier. The starfighter mode is still fun and certainly an improvement on the last game but I wanted to fly the ship and that's not what you're doing. 

I tend to think the point of the system was to intentionally cross up flying compared to other games. I've seen many complaints about not being able to use joysticks from PC players. 

That had not occurred to me, but I do believe you are right.  Well told. :)

For anyone who has played the VR Xwing mission from the first Battlefront, I think this supports Frimmel's summary.   In the Xwing VR Mission, you can actually target enemy fighters with the dogfight targeting scanner in the cockpit, ala the way the pilots lined up their targets in ANH.    The ship's flying just felt right....and it was flying the ship, not the cursor/reticle in the canopy.   Once you got an enemy in your sights in the canopy, you could look down and adjust your angle for the kill shot on your targeting scanner.  

Edited by martok2112

The big thing that also gives me that idea is the "shoot here" lead indicators on enemy craft. Typically that indicator is a part of your own HUD indicating where your shots are trailing behind your "aim."

Perhaps a more flight sim typical approach was too difficult for the uninitiated. It is still a pretty cool mode.