golsero

Where should a beaten stubborn detective go?

I played Roland in my first game and got into this situation that I was able to get rid of the stubborn detective from me. Should he go to the encounter discard pile, or investigator discard pile, or to be removed from the game? There is no instruction regarding to this. If anyone has a clue or can make a clarification on it, please let me know with the supporting ideas or information.

Ownership and Control
A card’s owner is the player whose deck (or game area) held the card at the start of the game.
A player controls the cards located in his or her out-of‑play game areas (such as the hand, deck, discard pile).
The scenario controls the cards in its out-of-play game areas (such as the encounter, act, and agenda decks, and the encounter discard pile).
• Cards by default enter play under their owner’s control. Some abilities may cause cards to change control during a game.
• If a card would enter an out-of-play area that does not belong to the card’s owner, the card is physically placed in its owner’s equivalent out-of-play area instead. The card is considered to have entered its controller’s out-of-play area, and only the physical placement of the card is adjusted.

You are the owner of the Stubborn Detective (since it started in your deck), so it goes into you discard (even though the scenario controls it because it is an enemy).

Thank you so much, Khudzlin.

That gives me a clear idea. I have one more question that has just come out from my second solo play.

In the Gathering scenario, after first round during which I was able to gather enough clues to advance the act, I drew a monster out of the encounter deck which directly engaged to me since it was not a spawn monster nor had a prey (In the Mythos phase). In the Investigation phase, I spent those clues to advance the act from 1 to 2, which triggered the each enemy in the Study location and the Study location itself to be discarded and removed, respectively. 

This little monster engaged to the investigator belongs to him or to the location? Should it be discarded, or moved with the investigator to the Hallway?

14 minutes ago, golsero said:

Thank you so much, Khudzlin.

That gives me a clear idea. I have one more question that has just come out from my second solo play.

In the Gathering scenario, after first round during which I was able to gather enough clues to advance the act, I drew a monster out of the encounter deck which directly engaged to me since it was not a spawn monster nor had a prey (In the Mythos phase). In the Investigation phase, I spent those clues to advance the act from 1 to 2, which triggered the each enemy in the Study location and the Study location itself to be discarded and removed, respectively. 

This little monster engaged to the investigator belongs to him or to the location? Should it be discarded, or moved with the investigator to the Hallway?

You, and Enemies engaged with you, are considered to be at your location. So it would be discarded.

A point of clarification: Prey has nothing to do with where an enemy enters play. Only Spawn.

Thank you so much, Network57.

Then, would you answer another question? Some events cards with Fast keyword, why do they have cost value on them? (for instance, Lucky! card has 1 cost, and Look what I found! card has 2)

Are there any situations that we spend the cost to play those cards? They seem to be used 'mostly' using Fast keyword, which won't take an action. 

1 hour ago, golsero said:

Thank you so much, Network57.

Then, would you answer another question? Some events cards with Fast keyword, why do they have cost value on them? (for instance, Lucky! card has 1 cost, and Look what I found! card has 2)

Are there any situations that we spend the cost to play those cards? They seem to be used 'mostly' using Fast keyword, which won't take an action. 

You always have to spend the cost to play the card. Fast does not take away the cost requirement, it just means you don't have to spend an action. You still have to pay the cost when you play the card. Resource cost to play is separate from action cost.

Edited by mwmcintyre

Thank you, mwmcintyre.

Upon your advice, I checked the Rule Reference page 11 for Fast. Yes, you are right. If only they mentioned 'But, you still have to pay its cost' added on it to make it clear.

Thank you, anyway.

If the Act card had the action symbol to spend the clues (most do not) then doing so would have triggered an attack of opportunity from each engaged enemies.  This Act card doesn't require spending clues to advance so you didn't have to worry about it at this point, just something to mention since attacks of opportunity are often things people get tripped up on the first few times.