bigbake132

I'm *Luke* Warm on Legion

I've been a big fan of FFG products for years now playing Star Wars LCG, X-Wing, Imperial Assault, Descent, Runewars, Game of Thrones LCG, Lord of the Rings LCG, Battlelore, etc. and was initially very excited about a "proper" Star Wars miniatures game to compliment the squad and RPG ish Imperial Assault but not anymore. I wasn't happy about the new scale but many weren't either but there's more problems with it. The miniatures just don't seem to have that "wow factor" that is found in other FFG games. That miniature or card that makes you want to buy the game. I just haven't really seen it yet. There isn't a cool mechanic that I'm interested to try out or a tactic that I could use on an opponent. I've visited the Legion page many times and reading the updates but the game just seems rather formulaic and uninspiring so far. Polished but sterile. I know I'm not the only one to feel this way and I honestly do want a truly AWESOME Star Wars miniatures game to play on a tabletop, but sadly this just isn't it for me unless something changes down the line.

Edited by bigbake132

Umm.. ok... good for you?

Im not sure what your after with this post to make it constructive? Do you want us to convince you that you should play it?

There has been enough negative posts on this forum lately that we really dont need another. Contribute to the community in a positive way, or if you don't like the game, just don't post and spend your time in communities of games you do like

Literally before this game was announced me and a friend was saying if they made a SW mini game that allowed customisation and used a Warhammer/Bolt Action style play it would make a fortune.

I think they only thing I am not really a fan of is the us of cards and upgrade cards. But I can see why they have done it, when it helps you keep a track of abilities / equipment you have bought for the squads.

I am very happy with everything announced so far, I don't care about scale that allows FFG to make official Star Wars terrain to make the table top look more authentic 

I think the game carries the same purchase attraction that x-wing and Armada does. Getting a fully ready and customisable squad, with all cards and tokens it required, all packed nicely in one very beautiful box has me worrying how the **** im gonna be able to keep expanding x-wing AND get into Legion at the same time...

I also think its safe to say that within a year or two were gonna see FFG release a ground combat game that scales to 10mm or similar, with ATATs and all. Its gonna be to Legion what Armada is to x-wing. And im gonna have to buy into that as well.....

12 minutes ago, Soulless said:

I think the game carries the same purchase attraction that x-wing and Armada does. Getting a fully ready and customisable squad, with all cards and tokens it required, all packed nicely in one very beautiful box has me worrying how the **** im gonna be able to keep expanding x-wing AND get into Legion at the same time...

I also think its safe to say that within a year or two were gonna see FFG release a ground combat game that scales to 10mm or similar, with ATATs and all. Its gonna be to Legion what Armada is to x-wing. And im gonna have to buy into that as well.....

I understand, but I just feel they might have missed the ball here with their choice. 10mm or something similar would have been nice right now. The game is called Legion and should conjure images of massive battles in the Star Wars universe but instead it feels more like Platoon in Star Wars, akin to Bolt Action from Warlord Games. 

I'm already invested in Imperial Assault and Legion just doesn't feel too different. Maybe I'll get into the 10mm version of the game when it comes out...

I am looking forward to a 10 or 15 mm game as well. But it doesn't change that legion is shaping up to be an awesome game!  There is also plenty of room in the market for lots of mini games.  Otherwise they're would have never been any other worker placement games after Agricola!  Or no tile laying games after Carcassonne.

18 minutes ago, devin.pike.1989 said:

I am looking forward to a 10 or 15 mm game as well. But it doesn't change that legion is shaping up to be an awesome game!  There is also plenty of room in the market for lots of mini games.  Otherwise they're would have never been any other worker placement games after Agricola!  Or no tile laying games after Carcassonne.

As it stands now, this is FFG 9th Star Wars related game, their 6th miniatures game, their 4th Star Wars miniatures game, and their 2nd Star Wars ground miniatures game and they decided to go with LARGER scale miniatures? There is only so much Star Wars and miniature related games I can support and its just puzzling why they chose this. Sure, they can make a 10 or 15mm game down the road but you have to wonder when the breaking point is and how much longer can this be sustainable.

Thing is...smaller scale games generally don’t sell well outside of historical systems. At all.

You can count the number of actually successful/profitable 15mm or smaller sci-fi games on one hand...and that hand belongs to a catastrophically clumsy bandsaw operator.

I can think of basically Dropzone Commander.

Theres plenty of other games, some of which I even love, but they are all dead, or so niche they wouldn’t possibly be acceptable for FFG.

Battletech - one of my favourites, but dying for a long time now and makes basically no money whatsoever

Heavy Gear - Great, but has less people in it than a Lib Dem party conference.

Halo- Dead

Epic - The big boy once upon a time, but now a dead system (or at least on fan created life support only) which probably wasn’t actually profitable.

Theres others around (Gruntz, Dirtside etc), and possibly a major one that I missed. But nothing big, popular or successful, and certainly nothing that would suggest that it’d be a remotely good idea for FFG to head that route with what is probably a very expensive licensed IP.

That’s my view anyway. People say they want it, and it’d certainly sell to a small hardcore audience....but business-wise its not smart based on trends.

1 hour ago, bigbake132 said:

As it stands now, this is FFG 9th Star Wars related game, their 6th miniatures game, their 4th Star Wars miniatures game, and their 2nd Star Wars ground miniatures game and they decided to go with LARGER scale miniatures? There is only so much Star Wars and miniature related games I can support and its just puzzling why they chose this. Sure, they can make a 10 or 15mm game down the road but you have to wonder when the breaking point is and how much longer can this be sustainable.

Lets see about these games. They are:

RPG, LCG, CCG, stand alone card game, board game, fleet combat, dogfight, dungeon crawl/brawler, skirmish game. These nine games fill nine different niches within the gaming community.

Edited by Orcdruid
Forgot some games

1 hour ago, bigbake132 said:

Ill admit im suffering some form of Star Wars fatigue, its just too much exposure that im hardly interested at all where the story goes, its done and over for me already.

Whenever i see something branded StarWars i roll my eyes...then i roll them right back, looking for something that will keep me from buying it... :wub:

8 hours ago, devin.pike.1989 said:

I saw a couple of interviews with Alex Davy, and I THINK this is designed to be a game where it's easy for beginners to paint their squads, hence the larger scale.

13 hours ago, VirMortalis said:

Literally before this game was announced me and a friend was saying if they made a SW mini game that allowed customisation and used a Warhammer/Bolt Action style play it would make a fortune.

I think they only thing I am not really a fan of is the us of cards and upgrade cards. But I can see why they have done it, when it helps you keep a track of abilities / equipment you have bought for the squads.

I am very happy with everything announced so far, I don't care about scale that allows FFG to make official Star Wars terrain to make the table top look more authentic 

I fully agree with the unhappiness with the card mechanic.  I play Infinity as well, and it's great in that the online builder is run by the company so if they have to adjust some things, then they just do it.  Seriously, it's one of the best balanced games out there, at least partially because of that.

On 1/1/2018 at 11:03 PM, Audio Weasel said:

I fully agree with the unhappiness with the card mechanic.  I play Infinity as well, and it's great in that the online builder is run by the company so if they have to adjust some things, then they just do it.  Seriously, it's one of the best balanced games out there, at least partially because of that.

I concur with the card mechanic.. Beyond reference I dislike keeping track of cards.  I disagree with Infinity as one of the best balanced games.  Miniatures are nice and have improved in the last 36 months..    

+1 for Infinity being maazingly well balanced IMO.

On topic though, I don’t mind cards. The only drag is needing multiple copies of certain cards if you want to enter official events. That got annoying in x-wing.

1 hour ago, Extropia said:

On topic though, I don’t mind cards. The only drag is needing multiple copies of certain cards if you want to enter official events. That got annoying in x-wing.

That doesn't seem to be a problem with this game so far. Everything you'd want on a unit comes with that unit.

My problem with the cards when I played X-Wing is that there were some upgrade cards that were really necessary for competitive play but were only found in one or two ships and they seemed to not be ones that most people played very much. A miniatures game should just be miniatures without cards needed. 

Edited by bigbake132

38 minutes ago, bigbake132 said:

My problem with the cards when I played X-Wing is that there were some upgrade cards that were really necessary for competitive play but were only found in one or two ships and they seemed to not be ones that most people played very much. A miniatures game should just be miniatures without cards needed. 

FFG has said there isnt going to be the chase of cards like in x-wing.. We shall see...

On 1/1/2018 at 9:24 PM, Extropia said:

Epic - The big boy once upon a time, but now a dead system (or at least on fan created life support only) which probably wasn’t actually profitable.

Epic was actually quite successful (think it rivaled their main lines at the time), until Epic 40,000 (essentially their 3rd edition). It represented such a big change from what had been before that it turned off many players (even if in many ways it was a much more elegant system), and I think they ballsed up the release schedule and didn't support it that well and so it faded into a game for very niche players (many of whom actually stuck with the earlier rules sets). They tried to re-release Epic several years later with an even more updated rule-set (Epic Armageddon), but by that point the player base was gone and it never got any further than being a niche game (I don't think Games Workshop in a company was that interested in supporting it either). It is a shame, as it was arguably a better game than warhammer and 40k (but given it was a much more modern system that isn't hard to see why), and it suits the large scale battles much better than playing bloody 40k Apocalypse. 

So... I guess my point was that there was a possible market for a large scale (as in for large scale battles, but with very small scale miniatures) sci-fi game by a company large enough that it can market it properly, and that supports it properly, but I think you are right that it would be hard to break into the market. Also don't actually think a 6mm(ish) scale game like Epic would be appropriate for Star Wars really. Massive battles aren't actually that common outside the Clone Wars, it being much more small scale fights (even Hoth is... what a couple dozen vehicles at most, plus a scattering of infantry on each side).

On 1/2/2018 at 5:03 AM, Audio Weasel said:

I saw a couple of interviews with Alex Davy, and I THINK this is designed to be a game where it's easy for beginners to paint their squads, hence the larger scale.

If they wanted it to be really easy to paint their soldiers they should make it 6mm! Basecoat, ink and then drybrush and you're pretty much done (did a whole Ultramarine army this way)! 15mm aren't even that hard either. However, it wouldn't necessarily be very interesting for those who want to do the modelling/painting part of the hobby. 28mm actually takes more to paint as they have more noticeable detail (which makes it more interesting for those that like painting, and look much better than smaller scales if painted well). Ok, I guess if you are going to try pea-dot on a 15mm miniature that would be an exception, but then 1) you are a mad person and 2) that isn't what a beginner is going to be trying.

Edited by borithan

I've been on the fence about it for some time.  I went deep into X-Wing and my enthusiasm dropped off after wave 7 or 8.  I bought Imperial Assault, but I couldn't get a group together so I just sold it off last week.  I still am going strong with Armada.

Legion feels a lot like the other offerings out there and I wonder if I'd just be happier buying into a new IP.

I'm waiting for the 1-2 punch that finally gets me to preorder it.  Them not releasing it before Christmas was a terrible move.  I didn't have anything to ask for from my family, so I got nothing.  If they had released it, I probably would have asked for it and then bought in because I'm a creature of habit.  If you can get me in the door, I'm hooked for life.

5 hours ago, ricefrisbeetreats said:

I've been on the fence about it for some time.  I went deep into X-Wing and my enthusiasm dropped off after wave 7 or 8.  I bought Imperial Assault, but I couldn't get a group together so I just sold it off last week.  I still am going strong with Armada.

Legion feels a lot like the other offerings out there and I wonder if I'd just be happier buying into a new IP.

I'm waiting for the 1-2 punch that finally gets me to preorder it.  Them not releasing it before Christmas was a terrible move.  I didn't have anything to ask for from my family, so I got nothing.  If they had released it, I probably would have asked for it and then bought in because I'm a creature of habit.  If you can get me in the door, I'm hooked for life.

You quit x-wing, and sold off imperial assault. Then you state that once you start you are hooked for life.....