Sign in to follow this  
lordannoyed

Other sources of Tannhauser?

So I wasn't really sure I got what "Weird wars" was all about and the CRB is really brief when describing Tannhauser.  I got the first novel yesterday and haven't put it down (being sick helps me to get some reading done.)  I was wondering if anyone has seen any other sources for this particular game other than the 3 novels.  And has anyone else read them?  Just wondering if the other two are as good.  I'm planning on buying them after I get through the first book.

The first I heard of it was the board game...

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/25261/tannhauser

So are the books good? I have some of the Cthulhu and Android ones... but still have not read any of them. I kind of hated the board game. It was like a Deathmatch game with no respawn. I felt it needed a respawn mechanic... and be point based. Who knows though... I played that like 5+ years ago. I could completely have a different take on it now.

The atheistic of it is very cool however.

Edited by BrashFink

I guess I should also expand the answer. Being a bit older... the concept of a "Weird War" has been around all my life.

There were comics when I was a kid, like WEIRD WAR TALES which were kind of related to Weird West comics that were also popular. The Weird West moved into RPGs with DEADLANDS obviously. The first real weird war setting I saw was WEIRD WARS... Savage Worlds has moved into a number of other wars also for different eras.

Weird West and Weird War were kind of related. Both were usually horror based alternate histories.

I think their popularity in games was also expanded by a number of "alternate WW2" products from all areas... (Command and Conquer, Dust, Etc)

Edited by BrashFink