DarkTrooperZero

Space Ship Terrain, Toys, Models etc

Have been looking, checking measurements and general internetting in order to find suitable scale ships to use as terrain and thought I would start a topic where we have all the info we find together.

So far we know Legion is approx 30-35mm scale and an average human man height is say 1.8m which means Legion is approx 1/48 scale. The below lists are models and toys that I have found fit approximately into this scale. Note real world measurements for ships have been taken from Wookieepedia, lets not argue on different actuals scales, also I have generally rounded scaling and m/feet, cm/inch etc

>> Scale model kits

- Tie Interceptor 9.6m (31.5') long, 1/48 = 20cm (8"), MPC/ERTL Tie Interceptor = 15.5cm, (6") Probably slightly too small but would work fine (not next to slightly too large models)

- AT-ST 9m (29.5') tall, 1/48 = 19cm (7.5"), Bandai 1/48 AT-ST  = 18cm (7") Spot on considering the legs are adjustable

- T-47 Snow Speeder 5.3m (17'), 1/48 = 11cm (4.3"), Bandai 1/48 T-47 Snow Speeder = 11cm (4.3") Spot on

>> Toys

- U-Wing 25m (82') long, 1/48 = 52cm (20.5"), Hasbro U-Wing 3.75" series = 54.5cm  (21.5") Fits perfectly

- Tie Striker 17.2m (56'), 1/48 = 36cm (14"), Hasbro Tie Striker 3.75" series = 43cm (17") Too large based on my photos below, 7cm to long isn't too bad but the cockpit bulk is considerable

Edited by DarkTrooperZero

I need to measure the wings, but I bought some broken Star Wars ship model pieces of eBay last week. Two of which were Tie interceptor wings and the middle cockpit, as well as some Arc pieces which I'm just gonna use for buildings. 

Im intrigued by the interceptor though, does anyone know how long the wing should be in 1:48 scale? The length should be 9.6m, how do I do the conversion?

Edited by Kojib

2 hours ago, Kojib said:

I need to measure the wings, but I bought some broken Star Wars ship model pieces of eBay last week. Two of which were Tie interceptor wings and the middle cockpit, as well as some Arc pieces which I'm just gonna use for buildings. 

Im intrigued by the interceptor though, does anyone know how long the wing should be in 1:48 scale? The length should be 9.6m, how do I do the conversion?

I got an MPC interceptor kit for x-mas, as well as the two TIE ertl kit from back in the day. Both are roughly 1:48 (they come with pilots, making the comparison easy!). 

Also they are darn close to the same scale as the "value" TIE striker toy. 

So I’m looking at a boxed set of 3 droid starfighters from episode 1. 

Wooliepeddia is saying a droid ship measured at 3.5m long, which as far as I can tell seems incredibly small for a ship. And would measure 7.3cm in the legion scale.

Id be breaking them down and turning them into scrap and cover anyway, but that strikes me as small nonetheless. Thoughts? Will they look odd or out of place next to the legion scale? 

Revell’s new Resistance A-Wing model is 1:44.

I got one last night 50% off at a chain craft store.

The pilot’s head could be swapped out for my IA Fenn Singus or a Rebel Trooper without scale problems. His legs are much longer, but from the waste up he fits the IA minis really well, and I doubt his legs will be visable anyway.

2 hours ago, Kojib said:

So I’m looking at a boxed set of 3 droid starfighters from episode 1. 

Wooliepeddia is saying a droid ship measured at 3.5m long, which as far as I can tell seems incredibly small for a ship. And would measure 7.3cm in the legion scale.

Id be breaking them down and turning them into scrap and cover anyway, but that strikes me as small nonetheless. Thoughts? Will they look odd or out of place next to the legion scale? 

I have 9 of these we use in Star Wars RPG that I'm okay to use in house rules here.

So was out shopping today and came across a discounted Hasbro tie striker, so bought it as you do when things are cheaper than normal.

Here's some photos of it for you. Slightly too big as per the OP but should be fine if used as broken terrain to limit the huge surface area it takes up which is probably the biggest problem at 43x34cm

X-wing tie and striker for size comparisons and space marine for cockpit scale. 

gallery_26570_7800_141127.png

gallery_26570_7800_236691.png

gallery_26570_7800_53650.jpg

gallery_26570_7800_188238.jpg

Hmmm, sadly everything straighter wise for the clone wars that I’m finding is either above or below those numbers. I suppose if it’s getting wrecked and torn apart that doesn’t matter quite so much.

im currently looking at an At te that I could take apart. 

Would need to be 45cm across and 21cm in height. That strikes me as pretty huge, but I guess those walkers were pretty chunky

3 hours ago, Kojib said:

So we think something at scale 1:39 is going to look horribly out of place?

I think it depends on a few factors. How much bigger than 28mm are these figures going to be? How much work are you willing to do on the piece/toy/model to help it fit in? How easy will it be to tell it doesn’t fit (an X-wing would be really easy on this board, but a modified Sherman tank in 1:35 scale might fit in easy)?

Example (these aren’t mine).

novacorp_wip-3645.jpg

The miniatures are 28mm scale. The Hummers are 1:43 (although they appear smaller to me, but scale is often relative to box size more than reality) and the jets are GI Joe toys built for 3.75 inch action figures.

novacorp_orca-3659.jpg

This is the same jet and figures after a repaint. Notice how effectively painting the canopy changed how you perceive the scale of it. It goes from a one man fighter in something around 1:24 scale to a 1:48 drop ship quite nicely.

These images came from Nate Miller’s Tabletop Games blog. You can find a lot more inspiration of this type there.

http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/?m=1

Edited by TheRedSon

14 hours ago, DarkTrooperZero said:

So was out shopping today and came across a discounted Hasbro tie striker, so bought it as you do when things are cheaper than normal.

Here's some photos of it for you. Slightly too big as per the OP but should be fine if used as broken terrain to limit the huge surface area it takes up which is probably the biggest problem at 43x34cm

X-wing tie and striker for size comparisons and space marine for cockpit scale. 

gallery_26570_7800_141127.png

gallery_26570_7800_236691.png

gallery_26570_7800_53650.jpg

gallery_26570_7800_188238.jpg

Yeah, wrong one.

The "Value" Striker and X-wing are about right though. I've got one, and it's almost identical in scale to the MPC and ERTL TIE fighter and Interceptor model kits.

CtsRViIUAAAd3mp.jpg

2 hours ago, Ghostofman said:

Yeah, wrong one.

The "Value" Striker and X-wing are about right though. I've got one, and it's almost identical in scale to the MPC and ERTL TIE fighter and Interceptor model kits.

I read somewhere that one was 10" long? Which would be more smaller than the big one is larger than to the scaled measurements in OP. But yeah might not take up so much table space and generally look not as huge.

Edited by DarkTrooperZero

The exterior of the Hasbro Millenium Falcon toy is apparently in 1:48 scale.

It would take up nearly half of a 3’ by 6’ play space, but it is the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs. Might be worthwhile.

So this photo is fuzzy because I had to shrink it to upload...

This is the fuselage (and landing gear) of Revell’s 1:43 A-wing model next to some of my Imperial Assault miniatures. The A-wing’s pilot is seated on my pot of black paint there behind the Royal Guard. Not counting his base that RG is about 35mm from toe to crown.

355A5265-AA63-4B2A-B795-180EC61E4A11.jpeg

10 hours ago, TheRedSon said:

So this photo is fuzzy because I had to shrink it to upload...

This is the fuselage (and landing gear) of Revell’s 1:43 A-wing model next to some of my Imperial Assault miniatures. The A-wing’s pilot is seated on my pot of black paint there behind the Royal Guard. Not counting his base that RG is about 35mm from toe to crown.

355A5265-AA63-4B2A-B795-180EC61E4A11.jpeg

Hmm, if  1:43 fits that well I should add them to my list. Thanks.

4 hours ago, SunDancerGE said:

Hmm, if  1:43 fits that well I should add them to my list. Thanks.

If you are in the US, Michael's had ... not sure if they still do .... this model on clearance a week ago.  By the time you add on the 50% off you are leaving having spent about $5.  I bought the Walker from TLJ, as a test model, and it came to $5.  

1 hour ago, Dash Two said:

If you are in the US, Michael's had ... not sure if they still do .... this model on clearance a week ago.  By the time you add on the 50% off you are leaving having spent about $5.  I bought the Walker from TLJ, as a test model, and it came to $5.  

That’s where I got it.  I paid about $15 though (that was the 50% off price).

I wish I had picked up another one now though. Had I known how well it would fit in before opening it I would have.

It’s listed scale is 1:44 btw. Sorry I misquoted. 1:43 is a very standard scale. This is the only model I’ve seen in 1:44. Not that the difference between the two is very great.