wurms

Your Year in Review

2017 is over. How was your Xwing year? Did you git gud? What was your favorite list you flew in 2017? What ship released this year do you love/hate? Whats your 2018 New Year Xwing Resolution?

For me, my 2017 was a huge growth in terms of piloting skill. Really feel I improved tenfold.

Went to three regionals in 1st qtr. Placed 23rd, 21st, top8. Got my dice, so that was my highlight moment.

During store champ season I went back to my imperials. Got couple top5 finishes.

Regionals in December had me flying triple wookiees, and took 12th place.

Favorite list I flew was Swarm Leader Backdraft, x7 Vessery, Inquisitor. So fun and so deadly. Went 4-1 at store champs with it.

Hated Nym, cant believe it made it passed playtesting with genius and bomblet.

Love the Striker. Thought it was a balanced ship (aka not broken) making it competitive and really fun to fly.

For 2018, I would love a top 16 system open, or to win a store champs. Feel like those are doable.

Edited by wurms

12 minutes ago, wurms said:

2017 is over. How was your Xwing year? Did you git gud? What was your favorite list you flew in 2017? What ship released this year do you love/hate? Whats your 2018 New Year Xwing Resolution?

I just started playing beginning of may of 17. Went to one store championship and placed 12 (out of 26). I have improved a lot since then. I flew imperial firespray, BD and OL. Really enjoyed the list but didn't know enough to utilize it. And the firespray is not that great of imperial ship. Don't think I have an outright favorite list that I flew. 

So far I have enjoyed all the ships. I don't have a striker yet, but just aesthetics and potential I really like it. 

My 2018 resolution is to top 8 a regional and/or win my next SC.

Edited by CasoPrime

I attended my first event - a very small (8 people, 3 rounds of swiss and that was it!) tournament at a local store - (at least, I think that was this year...) and won it with Angry Chewie (TFA Chewie with Expertise, EU, Bistan and 4 Bandits).  It was fun.

I also attended my second event - the store championship at OCX.  I took angry chewie and learned how much 2 attack ships HATE wookiees!  I went 1-3 but had a blast and met some cool people (OCX-ers and SPARTA!).

My local store closed so I've been working on starting a group with some friends so hopefully we can make playing at my place a regular occurrence.  Hoping to stream it too.

Been working on xhud (my overlay generator) and libxwing (the backend) as well.

Still loving this game even though I don't get to play it much.

In February, I went to my first regional a year to the day after my first tournament ever. I was aiming for 3-3, with a stretch goal of dice. I ended up 2nd in swiss and 2nd overall. I learned that 12h+ of X-wing in a day goes a bit over my threshold of fun. Ok, quite a bit. Having had a crazy time at work and feeling like I should just sleep instead, a month later, I bombed at Naboo, going 3-4. I had fun, but was starting to feel the burnout. Another month goes by and I went to the PTL Open with my 7 y.o. son, my only goal was to watch him play and enjoying people getting really surprised that he can actually play. He went 3-3, I went 4-2 with a high MoV, getting me 11th or so and 39th out of 68 for him. If only I hadn't face him in the 5th match, he might have gone 4-2 as well.

I then won my first store kit in May, surprising me, since I wasn't feeling it. Store champ season rolled around, and I went to, again, watch my son play. I wanted to fly my repainted Kath, and I figured a Kath/Ketsu list would end matches quickly. I was surprisingly wrong, and I actually won that Store Champ, shocking the **** out of me. At that point, I was feeling pretty much done with the competitive roller-coaster, but I still wasn't bored of seeing my son enjoying playing grown-ups, so I actually agreed to take over the TO duties at my FLGS.

Being more laid back has been tons of fun since then. I fly jankier lists, and never the same thing twice (which was part of why Naboo so bored me, the people were great, but my list wasn't new to me). I still love the game, but I've come to term with the fact that I don't actually care about winning or not, or rather, that I can be competitive and not care about results at the same time.

My high point was setting up a random list tournament and enjoying the heck out of trying to make randomly generated junk work. I've been playing those types of lists against my son since and you learn crazy new things you'd never think of otherwise because you don't need to with a decent list.

I still love X-wing, but I love seeing my son having a blast while tabling X-wing celebs more :) Or, as we hear around here *Crackshot!*

My year went great!  Wife popped out the daughter in February and she's already 11 months old and I can't.... oh, right, xwing year...

My x-wing year didn't go as good as years past.  I only played in 3 of 12ish store champs, but placed top4 in all of them  (I did win a store champs, it was just for Imperial Assault).  I did run a SC which was neat!  Might have been the largest in the area too with mid-30's attendance.  I also TO'd locally for Campaign against Cancer, 36 I think in attendance, and later in the year I kicked off the Walker Classic which was 32 for x-wing and also had IA, Destiny, and Armada, as well as side events.  Probably would have done a lot better had that first bit not happened, but honestly at some point she'll be able to join in the fun.  Better to get started with that now than later!

And I became far more of a fan of Cubanboy's Friday posts.  Viva la casuals!

Edit:  Favorite list I flew was my regional list of Vader/Duchess/NewPalpShuttle.  ALmost made the cut at regionals with it!  Coordinate is a fun mechanic.  My favorite release has been the gunboat though I haven't put it on the table near enough.  And next year my resolution is to expand the tournaments around here with more people.  

Edited by jonnyd

2 hours ago, wurms said:

Great topic. I started playing almost a year ago and haven't been able to get enough of the game since! I honestly don't even know if I got gud. Sometimes I have games I'm proud of, other times I flop. Favourite release is the StarViper Mk. II. Hate? Eh, I don't understand the bomb matchup, but that's because I've only played against them like twice. Actually, I'm still just getting used to 2016's tractor beams ... they're my feel-bad right now. My resolution is to find out if I have any potential in this game, and to play as much as possible, particularly trying out Vassal, since I'm not available store night. If I can figure out the logistics, I might go to Nationals in March, not because I think I can compete, but for the experience. Currently trying to figure out a list.

Another meh year for me. Went to two store championships, was 2-2 at both. No regionals as I had one November 2016 and next one is March 2018.

Only highlight I guess was making it to inner rim in my 3rd season of vassal league.

It's frustrating for me as a player that I probably get better at the game with each passing year, but competitively my results have stalled since my first year or so playing which was 4 years ago. I blame the meta since while it gets bigger with each year, it also means you're at a bigger disadvantage if you're not running meta lists, which I dont.

The other factor being that my favorite ship is the firespray, and it's always the focus of my competitive lists. Since it keeps falling below the curve with each passing wave that also is another hurdle for me to overcome.

2017 became the start of me wanting to try out competitive play more seriously after my first Regional at the end of 2016 where I felt I had a successful 1st showing at 4-2 (25th). I ended up playing a lot of Ketsu/Bossk well into the Store Championship season until Nym came out and I tried my hand at Miranda/Nym. I unfortunately didn't achieve a Store Championship (2nd place was closest finish). Even though I haven't played it in awhile, I'd say the Ketsu/Bossk was my favorite (especially with Boba Fett crew on Bossk). New ship wise, I don't really LOVE or HATE any of them. I'm moderately disappointed in the U-Wing in how poorly it turned out. I guess I liked Nym even though he was hated by many. My 2018 X-Wing resolution is to make a top cut at a regional or higher event and earn dice from any major event.

I like this topic!

Once again, I didn't go to any tournaments or championships this year. I just couldn't bring myself to try to fly something actually good. I did host a tournament and a couple campaigns (similar to HotAC but a little different) at my FLGS though - those went great! I also played lots of HotAC with friends, and I finally got the last two FFG Star Wars games - I'd already played this, Destiny, Rebellion, Armada, and the RPG, and I bought the LCG this fall and Empire vs. Rebellion for my brother for Christmas! 

As far as X-Wing goes, I reignited my passion for the TIE Bomber, spamming Cruise Missiles all over the board. And then GUNBOATS came out, and that's probably all I'll fly for the next couple of months! I also had a lot of fun coming up with builds for various things, and I made it my goal to use all the new cards for all the waves this year at least once. There's still probably a few I haven't used, because this year has been a busy one as far as X-Wing is concerned. Oh well, I guess that can be my New Year's Resolution! 

So yeah, next year I'll make a resolution to use every single card released in the new waves at least once! And maybe also try to use each ship I have at least once too... now where did I put my E-Wing? 

Edited by Kieransi

This was my year to git gud. I started strong in the Q1 Tourneys, placing in the top 4's. It all went downhill from there. :( Midyear I was placing about halfway, and took **** near last place at the Evergreen Cup. (Local event, very fun. 3 person teams, format requires list switching between team members)
I did alright for the Store Championships, got my range 3 ruler, but not the 1-2's.
In hindsight, I was coasting on meta lists and not improving my all-around game, so when Dengaroo and Parattani fell out of favor, my game went south.

Favorite list:
Norra Wexley — ARC-170    29, Push the Limit    3, Tail Gunner    2, R2-D2    4, Alliance Overhaul    0, Ship Total: 38
Gold Squadron Pilot — Y-Wing    18, Twin Laser Turret    6, R3-A2    2, BTL-A4 Y-Wing    0, Ship Total: 26
Horton Salm — Y-Wing    25, Twin Laser Turret    6, R2-D6    1, Expertise    4, Ship Total: 36
3rd place, Q1 Tourney out of 21 players. Quite proud of that one.

Favorite relase was the Skurrg. I bought 3, and painted one in Nym's colors.

hg0vDk0.jpg

I think I'm good for Regionals in February. I've analyzed my game and done a lot more practice.
My goal is to make the cut at one of the two Regionals I'm able to attend.

Edited by Koing907

Q1-Q3

I've struggled hugely with motivation to play during 2017.  The game wasn't fun for me for pretty big chunks of time, especially when life events like becoming a father meant I played much less frequently so the times I could play often felt more like a punishment for not practicing several times a week.  Skipped almost every major tournament in 2017 as I had no inclination to spend a lot of money having a **** time.

Q4

The nerfs were good when the FINALLY (my god, finally) came and I'm enjoying the metagame we have at present.  I'm  ending the year having won the last few tournaments I played in, which is nice but also suggests that the game is heading back to the sort of style of play that I enjoy.

In the single regionals I went to, I faced hard counters to my list three times, yet beat two of them and enjoyed watching my opponents agonise over the choices my gunner+ion cannon turret ghost gave them.

My piloting ability has remained at the "great, but only if I think about it" level, mostly due to a lack of games.

My list building ability has really improved though - I've created some monsters for my local meta.

Overall, a god year, and a good yea for the game too, after the wave 8 blunder-pocalypse in the form of the JM5K.

Most exciting thing for me was getting a second Striker and playing various Scarif scenarios.  Those ships are so cool flying in formation.

Second most exciting was getting the Silencer and a second TIE/SF.  This enabled me to play an Epic First Order list with some diversity.  All the black is just beautiful.

For 2018 there are discussions in the store of linking X-Wing, Armada and Legion into one massive campaign. :)

So I started playing in March 2017. Attended 2 store champs and a couple of other small tournaments. 

Finished 3-3 in first (68player) store champ which was awesome as my target was to win 1 game. 

Joined local league, got promoted from the bottom division

went to second store champ - went 4-1 and missed cut on MoV won range rulers and a ton of alt arts and other acrylic things

This year I’m headed to a regionals January (150 players eep), system open in March (500+), and probably a few store champs later in the year. 

Loving the game, the community and the hobby as a whole. 

Started playing in January. Built up an imperial-only-collection to completion until now, flew every available pilot (with the exeption of the Silencer) at least once and fell in love with the game over the fact that I had fun with every single one of them. Yes, even Fel's Wrath, whom I flew in an all Saber Squadron list led by our favorite Baron himself.

Played over 150 Matches of X-Wing this year, which is more than any other tabletop game I have ever tried and emerged even more hungry for more games. I know this is nowhere near the reps of some on this very forum, but I really bent my freetime to its limits for this and do not regret it.

Happy new year, everyone. We got ourselves one awesome hobby.

Edited by DampfGecko

6 hours ago, Celestial Lizards said:

I started playing the game. I'd say that's pretty damm awesome.

You also managed to make 1,700+ posts since you started playing the game this year. That alone is pretty impressive! :) Look at the post counts for all the other guys that have started this year. Heck, look at me- I’ve been playing X-Wing and browsing the forums for 4 Years now and I just barely passed 1k. 

As for my year, I won my first tournament (a store championship) this year! :) It was a little odd, in that I was also TOing the event, but I don’t feel too bad because the only store championships I ever play in are the ones I TO, and I followed all the rules for TOing and playing. I had a decently competitive list without being broken (Palp + 2 defenders, but it was AFTER the nerf), I was playing with the primary goal of having a fun game for both me and my opponent,  I flew well and luck favored me the couple of times it was critical, I wasn’t a jerk about the rules or missed opportunities or anything, and well, things just worked out. :) So that was cool. 

Lots of fun new ships this year, and so far I’m really enjoying the new wave. 

But best of all- I’ve logged 4 years of regular play in this game and I still love it. I haven’t gotten burned out or tired of it in the slightest. That’s largely due to the fact that my FLGS has a great group of guys that come regularly, and that group has been growing lately. :)

Looking forward to regionals in two weeks and a great 5th year of X-Wing! :D

I started to try to git gud. For the first time  I really practiced a list, played it >10 times and it was awesome! And I wanted to see how good I can be when I don‘t handicap myself by taking the high ground.

the third version is now blessed by the GUNBOAT, (even though that always dies...) and very fun.

The side effect is that the people who started with me don‘t like 100/6 anymore

Edit: I realized that I didn't answer the questions:

My favorite list is clearly 5 A-Wings, which I still flew in a tournament in February/March. But my favorite list that is also working againt good lists is the imperial highPS alpha strike.

The ship I have no love for, from 2017, is the whole wave 10, with the exception of the Striker. The rest - Quadjumper, Upsilon, U-Wing and Rebel TIE - are IMO really bad and never worked well enough to become relevant. Nor were they fun enough to put them on the table anyway. Maybe a snapcracklepop variant with the TIE was fun, but the rest is utterly useless. They also failed to shake up the meta, and that's why the reign of previously dominant powerhouses was neverending and became so boring. Wave 11 went overboard to the other side, but in the end that was only a problem until the FAQening.

The ships I love are the Silencer and the GUNBOAT! They are fun, feel perfectly balanced compared to other good ships, and look awesome!

Overall 2017 was a year where I did not have time to play as much as I wanted, and yet played more than ever before. I have now a list with more than 30 games (which might be underestimating by quite a bit), but I have yet to put several ships on a real table. Quadjumper, Upsilon, U-Wing, Rebel-TIE, Kimogila, Scurrg, Auzituck, Aggressor, B/SF... I played a game with each but the Kimogila and B/SF, but not more. I wish I had the time for it.

Edited by GreenDragoon