Sign in to follow this  
Whipporwill

New Rogue Card Question

So a new theme seems to be developing with Rogue cards, that of adding the agility icon to another skill test. Both Lockpicks and Cheapshot are in this model as well as the forthcoming Suggestion. My question is how does committing cards interact with this?

Example: I have previously bought a copy of Streetwise with experience and am currently engaged with an enemy. I decide to use Cheapshot on the enemy engaged with me. I have a player window to boost agility with Streetwise and so can add my base agility plus the agility boost from Streetwise to the test. Can I also commit cards with the Agility icon on them to the test? With a follow up question/comment. If I can't commit cards with only an agility Icon, can I commit cards with both a Combat and Agility Icon on them and count both icons, or can I only count the Combat Icon?

I've read conflicting and well reasoned arguments both for and against doing so.

Edited by Whipporwill

I'm not sure I understand the question but you can commit any number of cards to a test as long as it has at least 1 symbol in the corner for the type of test you are performing.

Before drawing a chaos token for a skill test, the investigator may boost his or her skill value. There are two ways to do this: First, the investigator may commit eligible cards from his or her hand to the test. An eligible card bears one or more icons matching the skill type of the test being performed. A wild icon (?) matches all skill types. Each matching icon committed to a test increases the investigator’s skill value by 1 for that test. The investigator performing the test may commit any number of cards from his or her hand to the test. Each other investigator at the same location as that investigator may commit 1 card from his or her hand to help.

Edited by Meretrix

Then perhaps I should give examples:

Investigator, Jenny Barnes engaged with 1 enemy. She uses Cheapshot and currently has Jenny's Twin .45s, Lone Wolf and a lvl 2 Switchblade in hand.

Can she commit any of those cards to the Cheapshot test?

Can she commit Lonewolf? Why or why not?

If she commits her twin .45s does her final skill total equal 7 or 9? Why?

If she commits the level 2 Switchblade is her final skill total 7 or 8? Why?

Yes you can pump agility or fight to enhance cheap shot via streetwise or other free-triggered because these cards give you a bonus to your value by triggering them.  Cheap shot specifically states add your agility value to your skill value for this attack.  

Now as far as committing, I'm not so sure. The reason why is that you can only commit 'appropriate' cards to a test.

Per the rules:

An appropriate skill icon is either one that matches the skill being tested, or a wild icon. The investigator performing this test gets +1 to his or her skill value during this test for each appropriate skill icon that is committed to this test.

Now, you could argue that agility icons are not appropriate because they do not match the skill being tested (Combat). 

That is how I would interpret it. Honestly though, most of these new 'rogue' cards boost your abilities high enough before the test that you shouldn't need to really commit additional cards. I would stick to 'appropriate' icons for the actual skill you are testing, or a wild. 

Just my interpretation though. It's hard to guarantee this is true because I haven't seen this question posed anywhere else.

Edited by Soakman

These cards don't change the fundamental nature of the skill test, they just modify the skill being tested. You can still only commit intellect cards for an intellect test, combat cards for a combat test, etc.

If the card you commit happens to also have an agility icon, the icon is wasted. Only "appropriate" icons grant a skill bonus, which is defined as skill icons matching the type of skill test.

Comboing these with other cards can have some neat results.  Consider Rex using Mind Over Matter, followed by Cheap Shot.  He would use his Intellect in place of Combat for the fight, then add his Intellect to itself in place of his Agility.

I think.