Sign in to follow this  
jgt7771

King in Yellow Unique Item questions

MAP OF THE MIND
Other World: Discard to keep from being delayed or lost in time and space. If you use this item when you go insane or are knocked unconscious in an Other World, you go directly to Arkham Asylum or St. Mary’s Hospital, respectively.

If you are directed to be LiTaS by an Encounter, or are trying to leave an Other World that has no corresponding Gate in play…where do you go? If the answer is “anywhere you choose”, could Sister Mary use this card to go to the Street or Location of her choice (rather than the South Church), or is she simply “never” LiTaS in the first place (i.e. there is nothing to trigger the card)?

MASQUERADE OF NIGHT
Any Phase: Discard this card after failing a Horror Check to reduce the monster’s horror damage to 0 Sanity until the end of this combat.

Why does this have the clause “until the end of this combat”? Once you’ve failed the Horror Check, what does it matter if this card is still active or not?

jgt7771 said:

MASQUERADE OF NIGHT
Any Phase: Discard this card after failing a Horror Check to reduce the monster’s horror damage to 0 Sanity until the end of this combat.

Why does this have the clause “until the end of this combat”? Once you’ve failed the Horror Check, what does it matter if this card is still active or not?

It reads like the idea is the card is actively blocking the effect throughout the encounter. I suppose it's saying, in a technical sense, that at no time during the encounter will you take that Sanity loss. It's basically a technicality trying to avoid confusion.

johnwatersfan said:

Because if you fail the horror check and decide to make an evade check and you DON'T kill the monster, it won't keep the sanity loss at zero for someone else to come in and kill it...

AH!  Thank you!

That never occurred to me.  I should have been treating it like the Red Sign.

I don't really know whether this has sense or not... anyway, I've always played this way: after failing the horror check, you are allowed to complete your combat (defeating the monster of escaping from him) before applying the sanity damage. So, for example, facing a Colour out of space with 2 Sanity and failing the Horror check will give the investigator the opportunity to kill the monster before going insane. Which can be quite useful against tough monsters.

Julia said:

I don't really know whether this has sense or not... anyway, I've always played this way: after failing the horror check, you are allowed to complete your combat (defeating the monster of escaping from him) before applying the sanity damage. So, for example, facing a Colour out of space with 2 Sanity and failing the Horror check will give the investigator the opportunity to kill the monster before going insane. Which can be quite useful against tough monsters.

You mean when using this item, or all the time?  Either way it's incorrect, but in the former, the correction is advantageous, the latter detrimental. G'luck regardless :')

Avi_dreader said:

You mean when using this item, or all the time?  Either way it's incorrect, but in the former, the correction is advantageous, the latter detrimental. G'luck regardless :')

Only when using the Masquerade of night, it seemed to me quite logical. And incorrect! Glad to see I can keep my sanity intact even after the combat.
Never thought that that specification simply implied you don't modify forever the sanity damage of that monster. Thank you guys!