Sekac

Why did that "Why do people hate TLJ" topic get closed? Bad job, mods

Sure it may have started out kinda rough, but I felt like there were a lot of hatchets buried there and was at least 85%+ useful, engaging, and thoughtful posts. 

Closing it without even an explanation and when people are telling compelling stories about disobeying orders for the greater good screams to me "I read pages 1 and 2 and locked it."

We get that you don't visit us often, mods, but when you do, at least read the thread before you break out the nerf hammer. 

Am I wrong?

Edited by Sekac

The thread you're talking about is still open actually. The one that got closed was "Why do people hate TLJ (SPOILERS)".

But I agree with you that it makes no sense it was the one closed, that thread was the one where people seemed the most civil of all the TLJ threads. 

8 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

The thread you're talking about is still open actually. The one that got closed was "Why do people hate TLJ (SPOILERS)".

But I agree with you that it makes no sense it was the one closed, that thread was the one where people seemed the most civil of all the TLJ threads. 

Right you are! Title edited. 

Yeah, I totally agree. Actually, @jmswood had one of the fairest reviews I've seen of the movie as the last post in the thread before it was locked. If they were going to lock a thread, they should've taken down the 70+ page dumpster fire, not the one they did. Personally I think it's better to talk stuff out than lock stuff as soon as people disagree. 

I'm guessing it was due to the extended debate in the middle of the thread about whether Rey is a Mary Sue, and Hobo's rants about SJWs. That whole argument got out of hand, and I'd guess a number of people were hammering the report button in the middle of it.

1 minute ago, PhantomFO said:

I'm guessing it was due to the extended debate in the middle of the thread about whether Rey is a Mary Sue, and Hobo's rants about SJWs. That whole argument got out of hand, and I'd guess a number of people were hammering the report button in the middle of it.

But the Mary Sue question is present in many threads. Shutting down only one of several only reinforces how occasionally and arbitrarily they patrol these boards. 

If you're shutting us down on page 13, because of comments on page 4, then say so. I don't think I've ever seen a topic closed on the internet without at least a sentence as to why. How can we improve our behavior if the flaw in our behavior isn't addressed in any way whatsoever?

It's, frankly, extremely lazy moderating. 

Nor did they have to. We hit a low point, then brought ourselves/each other back up. 

Kind of a "who disturbs my slumber?!" Type of approach.

Not interested. Not engaged. But willing to read a page or two when someone(s) asks and then swing a hammer. 

17 minutes ago, Celestial Lizards said:

K2E1lRw.jpg

I tried, guys.

"That the jedi are the ones responsible for this war, that we so lost our way that we have become villains in this conflict, that we are the ones who should put on trial, ALL OF US! And my attack on the temple was an attack on what the jedi have become; an army fighting for the dark side, fallen from the light that we once held so dear. This republic is failing, it is only a matter of time. "

- Barriss Offee 

Barriss_Offee_Profile_Image.jpg

SCNR, such a great scene. 

Edited by SEApocalypse

18 hours ago, SEApocalypse said:

"That the jedi are the ones responsible for this war, that we so lost our way that we have become villains in this conflict, that we are the ones who should put on trial, ALL OF US! And my attack on the temple was an attack on what the jedi have become; an army fighting for the dark side, fallen from the light that we once held so dear. This republic is failing, it is only a matter of time. "

- Barriss Offee 

Barriss_Offee_Profile_Image.jpg

SCNR, such a great scene. 

Probably my favorite Jedi besides Ashoka.

22 hours ago, Hobojebus said:

They shouldn't but people were calling non fans of tlj sexist, racist etc with no evidence.

Some people who didn't like TLJ were angry with the lack of white male protagonists, the aparent anti war industry message, or even animal rights suggestion. So perhaps some of these (plenty) zeroes in user reviews are not about the movie, but some sort of political message? 

5 minutes ago, Odanan said:

Some people who didn't like TLJ were angry with the lack of white male protagonists, the aparent anti war industry message, or even animal rights suggestion. So perhaps some of these (plenty) zeroes in user reviews are not about the movie, but some sort of political message? 

0 review scores are no different from 5 star reviews just different ends of the bellcurve, there are plenty of median score mine being one where I just thought it was okay.

Trying to blame the hate on racism of sexism is just a disingenuous attempt to shame people into being quiet, it's a common tactic look at brexit they tried to claim all leavers are xenophobic bigots.

It's however a tactic that no longer works and in fact is backfiring on those that use it look at Hollywood where the male feminists are the ones being exposed as the serial abusers, or anti gamer gate who are all being exposed as truly despicable abusers.

Truth is it's just a well made but flawed movie and some can overlook those flaws but others can not.

1 hour ago, Hobojebus said:

Truth is it's just a well made but flawed movie and some can overlook those flaws but others can not.

Those who loved the lore were the most impacted by The Last Jedi, because they were expecting a story line like unto the Legends. Some people couldn't "let the past die," so the movie did go the way they thought. They are upset because they were expecting something else and so they criticize the movie to make them feel better about themselves. Those who let go of there feelings were able to appreciate the movie more than those who didn't.

Star-Wars-Its-non-canon-all-of-it.jpg

About Luke Skywalker...

Bz6Ii2I.jpg

3 hours ago, Hobojebus said:

0 review scores are no different from 5 star reviews just different ends of the bellcurve, there are plenty of median score mine being one where I just thought it was okay.

Because of my former work, I came to know a LOT of movies, and I never watched a single one that deserved a 0 score. 

0 is hate.

fear-is-the-path-to-the-dark-side-fear-l