BadMotivator

TIE/fo Interceptor(spoilers)

33 minutes ago, DampfGecko said:

And yet, Iden and Zay Versio are flying around in T-65s minutes before Starkiller blows apart the NR. We are in dire need of context for the First Order era. 

I took this to be because they retired and were civilians and had just kept those ships post war. Similar to how that other company were flying in clone wars era ships 

1 hour ago, Belphegor07 said:

I took this to be because they retired and were civilians and had just kept those ships post war. Similar to how that other company were flying in clone wars era ships 

Possibly, I thought along similar lines. Still, Leia Organa apparently was still in direct contact with her and unlike Del she seemed to be more active in the resistance.Thing is, we very rarely get definitive information on this. This is the kind of information in-game codices are for, or some throw-away line in a visual dictionary. There are some question marks that could be very comprehensively answered without much fuss- and somehow, well, aren't.

What bothers me is how much of the new era still has these gigantic question marks hanging over them. After all, with the galactic political stage being basically unknown save for a few sparse lines, I could really do with some colored-in maps or a brief history of Sienar Jaemus, or maybe a quote of some senator on how the Resistance is viewed by the NR. I get that mystery adds to the experience, but these topics are not really part of the mysterious side of the Star Wars universe.

Sure, there are some bread crumbs here and there, and I would not encourage anyone to put this kind of exposition in some major release, but the hints are clearly not enough. I mean, we've been wondering how the First Order was built up for 2 years now and Battlefront telling us that the kidnappings have gone on for quite some time and with private help is probably the most direct information we got on the topic.

With all the other info they actually did give us, I'd say a change of priority is in order.

Edited by DampfGecko

12 minutes ago, DampfGecko said:

Possibly, I thought along similar lines. Still, Leia Organa apparently was still in direct contact with her and unlike Del she seemed to be more active in the resistance.Thing is, we very rarely get definitive information on this. This is the kind of information in-game codices are for, or some throw-away line in a visual dictionary. There are some question marks that could be very comprehensively answered without much fuss- and somehow, well, aren't.

What bothers me is how much of the new era still has these gigantic question marks hanging over them. After all, with the galactic political stage being basically unknown save for a few sparse lines, I could really do with some colored-in maps or a brief history of Sienar Jaemus, or maybe a quote of some senator on how the Resistance is viewed by the NR. I get that mystery adds to the experience, but these topics are not really part of the mysterious side of the Star Wars universe.

Sure, there are some bread crumbs here and there, and I would not encourage anyone to put this kind of exposition in some major release, but the hints are clearly not enough. I mean, we've been wondering how the First Order was built up for 2 years now and Battlefront telling us that the kidnappings have gone on for quite some time and with private help is probably the most direct information we got on the topic.

With all the other info they actually did give us, I'd say a change of priority is in order.

I mean, if they answer all the questions now where will all the money come from later? Lol

I’m sure they have a plan. My guess is with the books and comics taking off, they can focus on getting video games squared away. My guess is the negative press with EA really put them behind. Not to mention they have cancelled a couple games and closed down servers on a few of the mobile games. Disney just hasn’t quite found what they like yet.

Also, @DampfGecko, there is a little bit of explaination for this era in the books and comics, you just have to know where to look. Aftermath is the one everyone reads, and it doesn't teach you anything. If you're looking for answers, I think Bloodlines and Poe Dameron Comics are your best bet. (Seriously, Poe Dameron Comics are the best).

12 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

Also, @DampfGecko, there is a little bit of explaination for this era in the books and comics, you just have to know where to look. Aftermath is the one everyone reads, and it doesn't teach you anything. If you're looking for answers, I think Bloodlines and Poe Dameron Comics are your best bet. (Seriously, Poe Dameron Comics are the best).

Currently going through the first few issues for this exact reason :D 

The main problem to me overall is that it seems that they have thought of some quite diverse developments in the galaxy, but since we still do not really know the baseline of the galactic state, the droplets of info can often seem like they need more context or outright contradict each other. This is nothing major, but should be avoidable and easy to fix. I'm just wondering why they are still sitting on our hands on this.

A friend of mine reacted to the first line of TLJs opening crawl ("The first order reigns") by turning around and asking "How?". I think this sums it up quite well. As long as we don't even know how Starkiller's single shot basically decided a war which may or may not have even escalated before that, we simply know too little. 

3 hours ago, DampfGecko said:

Here's a fun thing: L'ulo flew his old A-Wing, not the new RZ2.

12 hours ago, DampfGecko said:

maybe a quote of some senator on how the Resistance is viewed by the NR.

That's certainly one issue. There was apparently supposed to be a whole sequence explaining this in the original draft of The Force Awakens, centred around random-woman-on-the-balcony-we-see-get-blown-up-by-starkiller that was going to explain the politics side of it, but it got cut.

1 hour ago, Magnus Grendel said:

That's certainly one issue. There was apparently supposed to be a whole sequence explaining this in the original draft of The Force Awakens, centred around random-woman-on-the-balcony-we-see-get-blown-up-by-starkiller that was going to explain the politics side of it, but it got cut.

If Disney would like to realease the directors cuts of this new trilogy like the extended lord of the rings movies, I wouldn’t mind lol. 

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 4:17 PM, Ironlord said:

SF-17 was also "last days of Galactic Civil War" not "last days of Clone War".

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/MG-100_StarFortress_SF-17

Was about to ask...

I mean, possible it could have been another mistake from FFG operating on incomplete information, as it does have a tech slot - which tends to point it towards the later periods.

On 31.12.2017 at 8:58 AM, Magnus Grendel said:

Pretty much. slave labour, automation or all-up droid factories can churn stuff out in bulk incredibly cheaply, and it's not like the empire had an especially strong attachment to the concept of 'worker's rights'...

Best example - the canonical price for a TIE fighter, new build, was 60,000 credits. Yes, it's not a great starfighter, but it's space-and-atmosphere capable, and a dangerous enough ship in the right hands.

Credits in star wars are not a million miles from pounds, dollars and euros today - a 'used car' changing hands for 2,000 credits, and  something resembling a 'burger meal' (in dex's diner) for 6 credits.

The idea of getting a military-grade fighter for the price of a high-end sports car at around $60,000 (even give or take a small multiplier) is kind of mind-boggling, when compared to the ~ $100,000,000 of new build F-15.

Plus, economies of scale are an unimaginable thing when you sell to a galaxy...

The F-15 Strike Eagle production run has so far churned out about 1600 planes.

The Imperial Navy had 25,000 star destroyers, each with 72 TIE fighters (I'm ignoring bomber, interceptor, etc and at the same time ignoring any TIE fighters not stationed on a capital ship), for a total of 1.8 million.

• A good cost curve rule of thumb is C=(1/X x A), where C is the cost, X is the number you build and A is a multiplier.
  • If you look at 1,600 items at 100,000,000 each, A is about 1.6x10^11
  • If you look at 1,800,000 items at 60,000 each, A is about 1.08x10^11
  • given that there's a 1-2 times 'slip factor' between a credit and a dollar, that's pretty close....

A few more facts about SW industry:

- The Empire build these 25000 ISDs in 19 years. That equals to 3,6 Stardestroyers per day. (Assuming they haven't reached the 25000 Well before the battle of Yavin.)

- The Death Stars were built in secret. This means two projects each swallowing material for 1000 Stardestroyers per day isn't enough to make a noticable dent in the Empires GDP.

- In Legends the Empire was able to maintain tens of trillions of troops all across the Galaxy.

- Also Legends: The Imperial Navy fielded not Just Star Destroyers but also around 4 Million smaller Capital ships and around 20 Super Star Destroyers. 

31 minutes ago, RogueLeader42 said:

Also Legends: The Imperial Navy fielded not Just Star Destroyers but also around 4 Million smaller Capital ships and around 20 Super Star Destroyers.

I'm not sure about millions of capital ships, but given the number of Gozanti, Arquitens and Interdictor class ships lost, stolen, blown up, seen in the background and run away from in Rebels, I could certainly believe an order of magnitude more than the number of 'real' destroyers.

As to SSDs, I believe Aftermath: Life Debt lists 13 Executor-class ships as being built, so similar.

Again, it's economies of scale. The idea of an entire planet being basically dedicated to shipyards and supporting infrastructure is kind of unimaginable - again, before we got sidetracked; once you have 'a design' and spend a year or so gearing for mass production, the SW universe can crank out as many of an item as you could possibly use. I dread to think how many B-1 and B-2 battle droids were churned out during the clone wars....

[Goes away to poke the internet a bit]

Quintillions. Okay. That's a lot.