BadMotivator

TIE/fo Interceptor(spoilers)

So in the movie we get a glimpse of a new Interceptor type ship on the holo projector in the stolen arms dealer ship.

It is clearly a updated Interceptor with missile pods and likely shields.

I'm guessing if and when it shows up here it would be.

TIE/fo Interceptor: Attack 3, Agility 3, Hull3, shields 1. Tech and missile slot. Focus, Target Lock, Boost, and Barrel roll.

19 minutes ago, kraedin said:

Do you have a still image of the ship we can look at? My memory was that it was a standard TIE/in in the hologram.

Thought so too. Didn't notice any differences with the bomber model either. But it sort of has to be a new model, right? They were shown side-by-side with a T-70, which would be weird- who would buy 30+ year old imperial fighters? Vintage collectors?

Yeah I’m not sure if it’s new or old but it would be great if it was a new model and jj brings it to life next movie

my guess is instead of a middle slot, perhaps a new tech-Missile, to explain why Kylo has missiles

According to the ICS book - that arms dealer sells First Order surplus (ships that don't pass their stringent checks) to pirates and the like. 

(the First Order are supporting pirate activity within the New Republic in order to get New Republic worlds dissatisfied with their government, and willing to join them instead.)

1 hour ago, BadMotivator said:

It is clearly a updated Interceptor with missile pods and likely shields.

Unfortunately it was not clear to me going off the hologram.  However it would be pretty likely there would have been improved models.  A shield is a certainty and a Tech slot probably.

48 minutes ago, DampfGecko said:

They were shown side-by-side with a T-70, which would be weird- who would buy 30+ year old imperial fighters?

T-70s were introduced in 5 ABY and were supposedly obsolete by the time of TFA having been phased out in preference of the T-85 in the New Republic fleet.  Interceptors were introduced in 3 BBY so the gap is a bit shorter at 8 years.

I don't see how this is clearly an updated TIE/IN.  It looked very much like a Galactic Civil War-era Interceptor.  As did the TIE/SA.  The AT-ATs in the film also seemed to be Galactic Civil War consistent.

The only war machine that I was fairly sure was 'modernized' was the AT-ST BB-8 commandeers.  It was quite obviously up-armoured and up-gunned.

Then again, perhaps it isn't an AT-ST at all.  Maybe a newer model of scout walker.  Much like how the X-wing has has T-65, T-70, and T-85 models.

8 minutes ago, Welfstar said:

I don't see how this is clearly an updated TIE/IN.  It looked very much like a Galactic Civil War-era Interceptor.  As did the TIE/SA.  The AT-ATs in the film also seemed to be Galactic Civil War consistent.

The only war machine that I was fairly sure was 'modernized' was the AT-ST BB-8 commandeers.  It was quite obviously up-armoured and up-gunned.

Then again, perhaps it isn't an AT-ST at all.  Maybe a newer model of scout walker.  

The Visual Dictionary and the ICS for the movie, make it clear that they are updated AT-ATs and AT-STs respectively.

The AT-AT has slight differences - no chin guns, only side-mounted ones (like the Rogue One cargo transports) and the front feet don't have "frontmost toes" - and do have more armour on the shins. The head looks a bit smoother - not as lumpy.

Edited by Ironlord

4 hours ago, Mackaywarrior said:

To me it looked like an old interceptor which probably means it’s a new one for the first order.

except BIGGER!

Nah, you're thinking of First Order capital ships. First Order _fighters_ are the same as Imperial Fighters, but painted with white paneling. See. Totally different things. 

6 hours ago, Ironlord said:

The Visual Dictionary and the ICS for the movie, make it clear that they are updated AT-ATs and AT-STs respectively.

The AT-AT has slight differences - no chin guns, only side-mounted ones (like the Rogue One cargo transports) and the front feet don't have "frontmost toes" - and do have more armour on the shins. The head looks a bit smoother - not as lumpy.

The new FO AT-AT also has a large gun mounted to the fore of the main section. It's the gun that fires first when Kylo tries to blow Luke to smithereens. 

1 hour ago, Madtheos said:

The new FO AT-AT also has a large gun mounted to the fore of the main section. It's the gun that fires first when Kylo tries to blow Luke to smithereens. 

Dude no, that's the AT-M6. Huge difference. Like, literally. The M6 is utterly massive by comparison.

bvwk7m7p9qu8ysloyfph.pngSg87cxU.jpg

15 hours ago, DampfGecko said:

Thought so too. Didn't notice any differences with the bomber model either. But it sort of has to be a new model, right? They were shown side-by-side with a T-70, which would be weird- who would buy 30+ year old imperial fighters? Vintage collectors?

I suspected that it was a history - they probably sold to the empire, then switched to the new republic - likely soon they'd switch to the first order...

Older models wouldn't make any sense.

Not even the resistance, so chronically underfunded that they don't even have any spare gas money, is tooling around with 40 year old ships. Why would anybody have holograms of older stuff like that laying around? And clearly not holograms of old stuff, those were clearly more up to date pictures since the Xwing hologram was a T70.

1 hour ago, BadMotivator said:

Older models wouldn't make any sense.

Not even the resistance, so chronically underfunded that they don't even have any spare gas money, is tooling around with 40 year old ships. Why would anybody have holograms of older stuff like that laying around? And clearly not holograms of old stuff, those were clearly more up to date pictures since the Xwing hologram was a T70.

But then why haven't we seen them on screen? Bombers would of been better than sf's for attacking the fleet, interceptors far more effective that fo's at taking out the rebel ships etc.

Surely the supreme commanders battle group would be fully stocked.

35 minutes ago, Hobojebus said:

But then why haven't we seen them on screen? Bombers would of been better than sf's for attacking the fleet, interceptors far more effective that fo's at taking out the rebel ships etc.

We're gonna keep doing this.

*Would've

1 hour ago, Hobojebus said:

Star Wars commanders have always been pretty awful at using the resources they have.

The nerds who fill out the source books don't talk with the big wigs who do the stuff in the movies.

12 hours ago, BadMotivator said:

Star Wars commanders have always been pretty awful at using the resources they have.

The nerds who fill out the source books don't talk with the big wigs who do the stuff in the movies.

I like to think that the SW movies are dramatized documentaries with political agendas9b5c8fc88ca60a94b5db4e07c9b50fae--dark-h while Spaceballs was much closer to the truth.

kylo_ren_s_rage_by_clumsytrooper-d9ucozy381477.png

On 12/28/2017 at 6:48 PM, Ironlord said:

According to the ICS book - that arms dealer sells First Order surplus (ships that don't pass their stringent checks) to pirates and the like. 

(the First Order are supporting pirate activity within the New Republic in order to get New Republic worlds dissatisfied with their government, and willing to join them instead.)

I didn't think that an SW movie needed politics after seeing the prequels, but that would have been more interesting to see in the movie than the gambler planet.