Sign in to follow this  
Jadorel

Couple of questions after first play

Hello all, just did my first practice run of the game with some friends and a couple of questions arrived during play. 

First, when a quest becomes available on the board, all players are able to complete it or advance it right?

Second, at the end of the turn when monsters are activated or moved, can monsters move outside of their hex to another. We had a situation where a sentry bot was hunting down people across the entire map as well as two monsters existing on one space.

Third, what do you do if you gain a companion from loot but already have one. Can it go to your inventory? If you try to sell it do you get caps? If it can go to your inventory and you exhaust your current companion, can you swap an exhausted companion with one in your inventory

Fourth, If a companion pops up in the shop from the assets pile, how do you buy it? These are the ones with the special points at the top right.

And finally, how do you normally gain caps? We were having a situation where after a decent amount of play, we still couldnt buy anything from the shop. 

Thank you in advance.

1: Yes, anyone can do any quest. It breaks up the narrative and immersion a bit, but that's the way it is. If you're in it for the story, stick to solo mode.

2: Yes, monsters can move out of their hexes. If they reach a face-down hex they treat it as one space (see the RR under activating enemies). They will follow the survivors from one end of the map to the other (and back again).

3: When you gain any card that can be equipped, it can either be equipped immediately or go into your inventory. You can't sell them. You can indeed swap an exhausted companion for a ready one. It will remain exhausted until you camp.

4: You just need to have the right token to recruit them (SPECIAL or status token) and an available shop action

5: Wasteland encounters often give caps, quests sometimes do, and selling loot. They're not necessarily easy to come by, but they're out there. Most of the time, you just have to explore the wastes, loot, and sell it.

Here's mine after first play:

1) How do you get traits?  For instance there is well rested but we couldn't find any indication of how that is awarded.

2) When and how do you respawn monsters?  We had a BoS and SM in our first game and they absolutely tore through the wasteland creatures.  I don't think they should be forever spawning because that would overload the board but if they on'y spawn on the revelation of a tile then it seems like too few.  

3) When monsters activate do the move and attack or more OR attack?

We were doing it as move or attack.  For instance if the monster moved 1 space to enter my space (and is not aggressive) it would not attack because it had moved.

Edited by Zrob314

44 minutes ago, Zrob314 said:

Here's mine after first play:

1) How do you get traits?  For instance there is well rested but we couldn't find any indication of how that is awarded.

2) When and how do you respawn monsters?  We had a BoS and SM in our first game and they absolutely tore through the wasteland creatures.  I don't think they should be forever spawning because that would overload the board but if they on'y spawn on the revelation of a tile then it seems like too few.  

3) When monsters activate do the move and attack or more OR attack?

We were doing it as move or attack.  For instance if the monster moved 1 space to enter my space (and is not aggressive) it would not attack because it had moved.

1) Well rested is gained when you camp while not addicted. Addicted is gained when you fail a drug test. In some cases you start with traits such as Super Mutant or Ghoul/vilified. In others you can become idolised when you do something good or vilified when you do something bad.

2) When you kill them they respawn, inactive, at the nearest matching icon type.

3) They move or attack but they only move if they can't attack so if they have ranged attack then they will attack instead of moving. If the enemy has Aggressive then it attacks when it moves into your space.

Edited by Vetnor

11 hours ago, Vetnor said:

1) Well rested is gained when you camp while not addicted. Addicted is gained when you fail a drug test. In some cases you start with traits such as Super Mutant or Ghoul/vilified. In others you can become idolised when you do something good or vilified when you do something bad.

2) When you kill them they respawn, inactive, at the nearest matching icon type.

3) They move or attack but they only move if they can't attack so if they have ranged attack then they will attack instead of moving. If the enemy has Aggressive then it attacks when it moves into your space.

Could you please post a page reference for numbers 1 (specifically in regard to well rested) and 2?  Also is that in the LTP or RRG?

(It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that FFG is horrible about writing their rules and I like to know what is text and what is inferred)

Edited by Zrob314

LTP Page 12

"CAMP ACTION
Does all of this have you exhausted? When the wasteland is
becoming too much for you, find a safe place to hunker down,
recover a bit, and trade with your fellow survivors.
When you perform a camp action, you recover three HP and
unexhaust all of your exhausted cards. Then, you gain the Well
Rested trait by taking the Well Rested trait token and placing it
on your player board (traits are described later).
Finally, you may
trade with any other survivors within one space of you.
You cannot perform this action if you are in the same space as
an enemy."

LTP pg 11

"When you kill an enemy, you gain XP (described later) equal to
its level and discard the enemy from the map; it is returned to
the supply. Then, you take a random enemy of the same type
from the supply and place it facedown on the closest matching
icon on the map that does not already have an enemy of that
type on it. While an enemy is facedown, it is inactive.
"

On 30/12/2017 at 6:45 PM, Zrob314 said:

Could you please post a page reference for numbers 1 (specifically in regard to well rested) and 2?  Also is that in the LTP or RRG?

(It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that FFG is horrible about writing their rules and I like to know what is text and what is inferred)

Actually, FFG rules are generally very good and explanatory. Read anything by GW (more holes in it than cheese and constant referencing to other parts of the rules) or even the rules for any of the Moral Conflict games (which has a blatent sexist remark about females playing as the USA because they'll like the support role aspect) and you'll see just how good they are.

On 12/29/2017 at 11:15 PM, Vetnor said:

2) Not sure what y'all do, but my method is to set the dead token off to the side before randomly drawing a new token - I don't want the same critter respawning over and over again!  Also, anyone unclear on certain rules should note that mobs spawned via cards/quests do NOT respawn when killed unless otherwise stated.  This could get difficult to keep track of on a full board, but do your best to remember when one of the 15 mobs running around is non-respawnable.  Maybe even put a token on them?

3)  An Aggressive enemy also attacks when you move into its space.  This can be like a free extra action, but it's also an important rules note with the Sentry Bot, who is Aggressive but also Ranged.  He can move into a space next to you but still won't shoot at that point.  If you try to run through him, however, he's going to beat your ***.

I've been keeping all my monster tokens in stacks by type - when one is killed I put it on the bottom of the stack, and the new spawn gets pulled off the top. (The one that just died will respawn eventually but no one remembers the order everything died in, so it's still effectively a random surprise by the time it comes around again.)

For monsters that get spawned and immediately fought from a quest or whatever, we don't even put it out on a tile, just flip it on the table next to the dice. Then it's easy to remember it goes on the bottom of the stack without spawning a new one.

Sure, but what if the player loses?  We had a quest where the ending was at Pendleton Estate and you could either deliver something OR fight the head honcho to get the Shishkebab.  The boss was a random human mob with Level +1, and beating him meant getting the weapon.  Our armorless Ghoul got pasted by him.  I figured it only made sense if the guy stayed on the board, and then house-ruled that it wouldn't make sense if he moved around when humans activated.  There's nothing in the rules for that sort of situation, so far as I can tell.

4 hours ago, Almeric said:

Sure, but what if the player loses?  We had a quest where the ending was at Pendleton Estate and you could either deliver something OR fight the head honcho to get the Shishkebab.  The boss was a random human mob with Level +1, and beating him meant getting the weapon.  Our armorless Ghoul got pasted by him.  I figured it only made sense if the guy stayed on the board, and then house-ruled that it wouldn't make sense if he moved around when humans activated.  There's nothing in the rules for that sort of situation, so far as I can tell.

The rules state that when you're instructed to draw and fight an enemy that enemy doesn't remain on the board if you don't kill him.

4 hours ago, MythicalMothman said:

I've been keeping all my monster tokens in stacks by type - when one is killed I put it on the bottom of the stack, and the new spawn gets pulled off the top. (The one that just died will respawn eventually but no one remembers the order everything died in, so it's still effectively a random surprise by the time it comes around again.)

I do the same except I place the first defeated enemy face up on the bottom of the pile that way when it gets to the top we shuffle the tiles and repeat.

The rules seem to say to return it to the supply, then choose a random enemy from the supply to place face up (if it was not from a draw and fight).  I would assume this means that you could draw the same token that you just killed.  I don't like this, so I put it on the bottom of a stack as well, but I suppose this would technically be a house rule.