Kakita Shijin

D&D Conversion?

Well, I got Xanathar's Guide to Everything as a birthday present today. Buying me D&D books is actually a pretty good idea since I'm unlikely to already have them ?

I do have the three 5e core books somewhere, Volo's Guide to Monsters, a few published adventures ... has anyone already done the leg work for playing D&D with narrative dice? If I make a "conversion" myself it will be minimal, substituting narrative dice with the smallest number of changes possible.

There really isn't all that much you need to convert. I did assemble a series of mostly Tier 2 Talents and gave them out as "Features" to replicate D&D classes. I invented a few others (Shapeshift allowing Primal Fury as a Manuever) to round out the "class" feeling. Overall it works pretty well. 

There's currently a Pathfinder conversion going on, an Eberron too. I'm working on Dragonlance. So ya, there's a good bit of Fantasy work taking place. Also, google Swrpg fantasy conversion....there was a guy that converted Sw rpg narrative system to fantasy even before Genesys was announced. It may be enough to get you going.

I'm converting our old D&D 4e (yes, yes, I know...) stuff on a "when I need to"-basis. So if a player wants to play a Swordmage I convert that.

I'm in awe of what some guys here are doing but I just don't have the time.

Edited by siabrac

1 hour ago, siabrac said:

I'm converting our old D&D 4e (yes, yes, I know...) 

Hey now, don't knock 4e! It's easily my tables favorite Edition, though we've Frankensteined it by making a pool of powers for every source that any Class can take instead of restricting them by class, cut out a bunch of feats, tweaked the basic stat math, added 5e's bonded accuracy....yeah it's changed a bit. 

Anyway, I like both your Swordmage and Warlock and had actually made some similar Talents, though I separated the Mark and Aegis features. 

The "Feature" tier is something I created for my group as well. Everyone gets one at creation and they are exclusive to one another. There are upgrades at tiers 3, 4, and 5. I pilfered a few tier 2 talents (Inspiring Rhetoric, Bodyguard, Berserk) and then added a few others. Here is the Swordmage (and Paladin called Divine Shield) version I did.  My intent was to boil most classes down to their bare essentials. 

Aegis of Shielding

Tier: Feature 

Activation: Active (Incidental)

Ranked: Yes

Once per encounter, suffer 2 strain to cast the Barrier spell on an ally as an incidental. You still suffer strain as normal to cast the spell.

The higher tiers remove the extra strain/let you concentrate on the spell as an incidental instead. 

Meanwhile my version of the 4e Marking feature was just a straight talent. 

Demand Focus

Tier: Tier 2

Activation: Passive

Ranked: No

After hitting with a Melee check, you may spend Success to add Failure to all combat checks the target makes against your allies before the start of your next turn. You may trigger this effect multiple times, spending Success each time. 

For Warlock's Curse/Backstab/Other 4e bonus damage effects I use this feature/talent. 

Deadly Accuracy

Tier: Feature

Activation: Passive

Ranked: Yes

When acquired, choose 1 combat skill. Once per round, you may suffer 1 strain and spend 2 Advantage to add damage equal to ranks in that skill to one hit of a successful attack made using that skill.

Higher ranks eliminated the Advantage requirement. 

Edited by Cyvaris

I can link all the Feature talents if people want to see them, as I added them to my own version of the Expanded Talents list. My main goal with them was to avoid "bloat". I don't want 30 new talents replicating class features when only 5-8 would do. Sure I kept a few redundant things (Hunter's Quarry AND Deadly Accuracy) as Feature Talents, but that's mostly because I have players I know who would wonder where stuff went. 

Yes, some of them are on the strong side, but I'm a petty murderous DM and have lifted a bunch of 4e style abilities onto the Adversaries my players end up fighting. It's turned combat into Rocket Grenade Tag with characters getting gibbed left and right and it's awesome. 

We play on a grid so I converted Range bands out (short=5, medium=10 and on up) but other than that nothing is different. 

Link (with my Feature Talents at the top) is here, the upgrades are on higher tiers. 
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iZw2xoBfUKNMK-MTsymokSOvyeAvztVY

54 minutes ago, siabrac said:

Going to bed.

Current version: https://1drv.ms/b/s!Atx_v0VjCoi7jcRhom5RTYOAmzUiVg

Good Night.

Looks interesting.  I think I'd like a Pact Magic version for warlock magic, though, using Cunning.  I think Weave Magic and Pact Magic (as it is in Forgotten Realms) is vastly different, though they replicate similar spells.  Similar to Divine vs. Arcane.

Nice work in interpreting D&D mechanics into Genesys, though.  Very good takes on them.  I especially like the swordmage.

The Warlock uses Eldritch Magic. It's a Cunning based magic skill. But now that you mention it, I maybe should include that bit of information in the book :P

Edited by siabrac

This is great work! I will keep and eye to this. Are you planning to expand the weapons and armor lists from Genesys including the ones of Forgotten Realms? And Adversaries chapter?

Looking through these again,  I really am tempted to try a full 4e conversion now. Some stuff won't match one to one, but it would be interesting to try at any rate. I wonder if breaking it out by PHB might be the smartest way to approach it. Of course, some Genesys talents already sort of feel like 4e Stuff (Inspiring Rhetoric is basically a Warlord's Inspiring Word, Bodyguard is basically 4e Fighter) so...I don't really know. Maybe I'll make a list of stuff that doesn't yet seemed covered and go from there. 

Okay, I started playing around with some other Defender classes, as those to me seem to be the ones most in need of talents to differentiate them. I think "upgrading" the target's check might be  a bit harsh (and doesn't exactly replicate 4e's mark) so I tweaked it. Really, what do I know though. Adding auto-failure might be even stronger.

Paladin

Divine Challenge

Tier: Tier 2

Activation: Active (Maneuver) 

Ranked: Yes

Suffer a number of strain no greater than your ranks in Divine Challenge and mark an enemy in short range. The mark stays on that enemy for a number of rounds equal to strain suffered. While marked, any combat checks the target makes add one Failure to all combat checks targeting your allies. Until the mark ends,  the target suffers a number of Wounds equal to the amount of Strain you suffered the first time each round it makes an attack that does not include you as a target.

Warden

Nature's Wrath

Activation: Active (Maneuver) 

Ranked: Yes

Once per turn, suffer a number of strain no greater than your ranks in Nature's Wrath and mark a number of engaged enemies equal to the strain you suffered. While marked, any combat checks the target makes add one Failure to all combat checks targeting your allies.

Warden's Grasp

Activation: Active (Out of Turn-Incidental) 

Ranked: No

Once per round, when an adversary within short range you marked with Nature's Wrath makes an attack that does not include you as a target, you may make an Easy Primal check to move the target one range band closer after the attack is resolved.

Edited by Cyvaris