Sign in to follow this  
HaphazardNinja

Ideas for Optional Flaws at Character Creation

Hey all. I started watching Steveisbored on Youtube and he mentioned something that resonated with me: The roleplaying depth of species with intrinsic flaws. I wanted to call the collected experience of the forums for some optional Flaws that provide a small XP bonus at character creation. Published examples of species flaws are in the following books:

• Ishi Tib: Water Dependence-Lead by Example
  • Dresselian: Primitive-Stay on Target [Can be removed for 10 XP at creation]
  • Polis Massan: No Vocal Chords-Strongholds of Resistance [Can be removed for 10 XP at creation]

These should be used to an idea of balancing these homebrews. I’m thinking they should be “purchased” at creation by adding 10 or 5 starting XP. I would also add that only one Flaw may be taken and only at creation. They can either be species specific or related to one’s backstory or personality. Discussions on how it would work with the three previously-listed species that already have a “flaw.”

2 hours ago, Gberezowsky said:

It isn’t directly related, but I find the notion of flaws that reduce the point cost of characters to allow you to free up points to add another character or perhaps a plot card interesting. 

Kind of like a reverse plot card. For examples you could almost reverse any of the plots. Inferior position, -1 points, give an opponent a shield. Recklessness, -2 points, deal two indirect damage to yourself. That could prove very interesting. I like that idea.