CasoPrime

Turn 0 help

It depends what kind of list your looking to fly.

formations (for example) usually prefer smaller rocks or debris that get in the way less and don't hinder the squadrons movement. These are usually placed on the corners of the map or on your side in order to fly past them easily and engage the opponent.

traditionally, aces prefer larger rocks that they can manoeuvre around while less agile ships get stuck however they can also take small rocks in order to fly around more easily and occupy more free space without being trapped into certain moves on their dial.

Turrets may like to float outside of combat and PWT's like to boost around the asteroids leaving smaller ships trapped inside while others like dash ignore debris completely and fly through unabated.

i believe that hornet Squadron radio covered this far more succinctly and in depth in one of their more recent podcasts:

https://hornetsquadradio.podbean.com/e/episode-14-obstacle-course/

definately worth a listen if your looking to work on your turn 0 game.

Try to pick obstacles that suit your list and place them in a way that complements the ships playstyle and dials, best of luck ;) 

1 hour ago, CasoPrime said:

I thought there was an article in the index of useful links regarding ship and obstacle placement, but I can't seem to find it. Anyone have any tips or links for things to do with and against certain lists? 

Here you go: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2014/3/20/turn-zero/

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2014/4/17/mastering-ship-placement/

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2014/10/28/assembling-your-squadron/

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/26/turn-zero-block-party/

Edited by PoorGreedo

18 minutes ago, KommanderKeldoth said:

I feel like half the time I just look at what my opponent is doing (open asteroid field or tight cluster) and try to counter it.

But I want to know why they want a cluster or otherwise. I feel like I am a decent player, and I know I am setting a high goal of a top 8 for my first ever regional (2nd tournament ever, first being 1 sc last july). But I am going to put a lot into it. 

I am pretty good at eyeballing distances to avoid obstacles, I am more interested in the reasoning behind the placement. 

One thing I've picked up more recently is placing large asteroids at range 3 from my opponents side of the board (and range 2 from the 'true' sides of the board).  This makes it more likely that your opponent will be forced into a choke point on the first engagement if they deploy in the corner (which is conventional deployment position).

5 hours ago, CasoPrime said:

But I want to know why they want a cluster or otherwise. I feel like I am a decent player, and I know I am setting a high goal of a top 8 for my first ever regional (2nd tournament ever, first being 1 sc last july). But I am going to put a lot into it. 

I am pretty good at eyeballing distances to avoid obstacles, I am more interested in the reasoning behind the placement. 

It all comes down to what are you flying and what is your opponent flying. Will give some examples of lists I flew in regionals.

I flew three wookies (lowhhrick,two liberators). I took with me the smallest rocks possible:

1. It allowed me to do two sharps around them.
  2. It took up less room on the mat and I like to fly close (any list with Lowhhrick usually wants to stay close in formation and doesnt like tight rock clusters and will fly away from them)
  3. Because they were smaller, less likely I get tractor beamed on them.

I flew against Blair Bunke and his 7 Z-swarm.

He was placing rocks in corners cause his swarm wanted all the room in the world. I created and tight triangle formation, center more towards his edge. This is where I wanted all the fighting to take place. Rocks give me extra green dice versus harpoons, and breaks up his squad when they have to try and fly around/over rocks. All went as planned. Last shot, dice ****ed me, so we went to final salvo and I lost. Point being, swarms hate tight rocks, I hate tight rocks, but they hurt him more so I went with it and it seemed to worked. I got a wookiee behind a rock and it took a harpoon, and three Zs all focused and locked and only ended up down 3 shields. Was able to stay out of range of the other two harpoons. Not bad. 

More examples:

I flew Manaroo/Ketsu/Teroch all mindlinked back in march. Every game I placed all three rocks (I brought tiny ones cuz again easier for ketsu to get around) near my edge. I did not slow roll this list and want to attack quick and fierce, so I want to get passed as many rocks as I could in the first turn or two and have as open a field as I could by start of combat. This was EVERY game. I didnt care what I faced, the three biggest rocks I could get went near my edge. It just benefitted my super aggressive list.

More tips:

Harpoons and alphas. Tight rock formation. Use the rocks to either break up their ships so you only take one or two attacks or either get extra defense dice, or BOTH! Your one ship will be taking two or three attacks, so that extra green is very valuable if you have low pS ships or non-repositioning ships. Dont just joust em down the left side of the mat! Their dream is to wipe a ship in one round. Make them sweat taking multiple rounds to kill your ship while the rest of the squad flanks them. See if their ships are fast or slow and place your rocks according to were you think you can get to by the time combat starts. If you are flying Defenders, you probably dont want the rocks near your side of the board if facing a harpoon/alpha since you are gonna be going fast.

Generally, versus regenning ships I like to place big rocks in the corners. I prefer an open mat so it's easier to chase them down. Worse feeling in the world is having Miranda or Poe shieldless and then you can't make a 2 sharp because of a **** rock and now cant stay on them and have to bank or straight instead and they are regenning for the next two or three turns.

Wookiees = Flank. Flank With Anything you got. Just get something behind them, preferably something with a barrel roll.

Edited by wurms