Attackmack

Tips for easier handling of squadrons?

Been sort of coming back to Armada a bit lately and after watching TLJ Ive been sorting and tidying up all of my star wars games and feel ready to arrange a few Armada sessions once again!

Is there any smart DIY mod or third market accessories I can buy that will make it easier to move the squadron dials and sliders? Ive tried loosening mine up but they are still difficult enough that I usually have to lift the squadron up to adjust the dial. It becomes tedious and opens for errors in what should be a rather precise handling.

Ive seen some acrylic sliders and dials but I wonder if they will move easier or just the same?

22 minutes ago, AegisGrimm said:

To facilitate accurate replacing of squadrons when dad and I play, we stick dimes under the bases.  Then when you need to pick up a squadron for any reason, it's dime is left there to mark it's place to be returned to.

Quarters fit better.

24 minutes ago, AegisGrimm said:

To facilitate accurate replacing of squadrons when dad and I play, we stick dimes under the bases.  Then when you need to pick up a squadron for any reason, it's dime is left there to mark it's place to be returned to.

I've seen washers used to good effect. I had some given to me by a kindly soul, but I've found that I'm too lazy to use them. I guess my point is that in trying to eliminate hassle, they've become more work, which it was the point to reduce.

Anyway, I think the point is about the dials and sliders being too tight. Honestly, I prefer them that way, but I've also found that they loosen up with time and wear.

Yeah. I've found them to be a lot of rummaging than I'v ereally wanted, but we've gone over this before. 

Nowadays, if its a casual game, we just move it and whatever. Just let it happen. Both of us agree not to take advantage of it, and we just do it fast. 

Washers are the best solution I've found. They're cheap, but heavy enough not to get knocked around. They're just plain amazing when dealing with overlaps. @Mogrok turned me on to them and I've never looked back. Just make sure you're articulating what you're doing. You can't put them down and then measure from them since that would violate the one tool rule. I always tell my opponents that once the washer is down, that counts as me taking my hand off the squadron.

8 hours ago, Soulless said:

Been sort of coming back to Armada a bit lately and after watching TLJ Ive been sorting and tidying up all of my star wars games and feel ready to arrange a few Armada sessions once again!

Is there any smart DIY mod or third market accessories I can buy that will make it easier to move the squadron dials and sliders? Ive tried loosening mine up but they are still difficult enough that I usually have to lift the squadron up to adjust the dial. It becomes tedious and opens for errors in what should be a rather precise handling.

Ive seen some acrylic sliders and dials but I wonder if they will move easier or just the same?

I have to chip in with the Squadron Command Plate. It’s basically designed to organize squadrons and makes using them MUCH easier.

you can check out this review by “Cannot Get Your Ship Out”

http://cannotgetyourshipout.blogspot.com/2017/09/gearing-up-for-battle-2-armada-fix.html?m=1

And a thread at I wrote up about how they are used. With pictures to facilitate! :D

Link to where they are made:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ArmadaFix

@Brikhause had some nice soft silicon inserts for the base, made by a friend of his.  They allow the base to "stick" to the mat, allowing you to rotate the damage dial without lifting the bases off the table.  They work really well!

You'll have to contact him if you want to buy some - I'm not sure if there are more.

There's a feller in our local gaming group that 3D prints little plastic washers to go under the squadrons that are the exact radius of the plastic base, and have a small centering raised lip on them.  He does them in different colors, and with either the imperial or rebel symbol inscribed within them, so that most players' matchups end up using different squadron markers.

They make all kinds of movement tool and overlapping situations easier to manage, by picking up the set of maybe-overlapping squadrons up, and setting them down to the side arranged spatially just like they are in play area.  Eg, if the picked-up squadrons are in a W-like layout, you place they on the side also in the same W pattern.

The other thing we do that may or may not be kosher, is that in complex situations we declare our placement objective, and then measure to confirm it.  For example, I might move an X-Wing to be engaged with this TIE bomber, not engaged with that Black Squadron, within distance 3 of Toryn Farr, and so on.  With one finger on the squadron marker, I would make all of the measurements and nudges using a single measurement tool, with my opponent's agreement that the criteria were or were not met.  I don't know if this is strictly within the regs, but in practice the active communication and consensus helps to keep games friendly.

jbtandmeyer, can you post a pic of those 3d squad washers, preferably in play and how to use them? Sounds great.

Do they allow you to twist the Squadron to change its Hull value without lifting it from the table?

Paging @Ardaedhel

On ‎28‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:42 PM, Maturin said:

had some nice soft silicon inserts for the base, made by a friend of his.  They allow the base to "stick" to the mat, allowing you to rotate the damage dial without lifting the bases off the table.  They work really well

The reverse of the above concept is one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/YogaAccessories-Extra-Wide-Deluxe-Purple/dp/B00M7DN1MC/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1514584021&sr=1-4&keywords=yoga+mat+extra+wide

I think that's the correct link.  That link goes to purple but comes in black as well.  I've bought one and never looked back.  It's the exact size (6' x 3', more accurate than many playmats), is readily paintable and grips like a gekko.  The only time I've had to lift a squad off the table to adjust the dial is if I just couldn't physically reach the dial (too many other squads/ships in the way)

The only drawback is I'm not sure if they'd let you use it in a tournament. 

20 minutes ago, Flengin said:

Paging @Ardaedhel

The reverse of the above concept is one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/YogaAccessories-Extra-Wide-Deluxe-Purple/dp/B00M7DN1MC/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1514584021&sr=1-4&keywords=yoga+mat+extra+wide

I think that's the correct link.  That link goes to purple but comes in black as well.  I've bought one and never looked back.  It's the exact size (6' x 3', more accurate than many playmats), is readily paintable and grips like a gekko.  The only time I've had to lift a squad off the table to adjust the dial is if I just couldn't physically reach the dial (too many other squads/ships in the way)

The only drawback is I'm not sure if they'd let you use it in a tournament. 

Yeah, the nice thing about the silicon inserts is they work fine on the crappy FFG mats so you can take them anywhere.  Doesn't help with your ships as the yoga mat does, but nice for squadrons.