RunnerAZ

Upcoming First Regional

In the next 2 weeks, I will be attending my first regional since I started playing X-Wing.  Aside from checking out list juggler for common lists and figuring out my turn 0 rock placement, what are some good tips? (And if anyone is willing to share, what are the boogeyman lists that I should figure out a plan for before I get there)

1 minute ago, Jeff Wilder said:

You need a way to deal with Harpoon Missiles spam.  To a lesser extent, you need a way to deal with multiple Auzitucks.

Other than that, from what I've seen, the meta is wide open right now.

Isn't most of the Harpoon Spam either:

• 3 Nu's with LRS, Harpoons, and QD wingman? or
  • 2 Imp Aces at PS11 with Harpoons and a Nu?

Anything I am missing?

There a ton of non-imperial lists that use harpoons. Just about anything with missiles will have them basically. So expect to see harpoons on Nym, Sol Six, Miranda, Z-95s, Kimogilias, Khiraxzzezeszs, etc

The best advice I received before my first major tournament was this...

DO NOT JOUST ALL THE THINGS

Complicated stuff I know, but unless you have a clear advantage or can create one its typically a mistake.

tumblr_nck49lRrak1qbcwz6o1_500.gif

Edited by Boom Owl

Prepare for a long day. Bring a refillable bottle of water, and some form of protein snacks for between rounds.

Sit whenever possible. Your knees will thank you later, especially if you're on the bigger side.

Practice with your list as much as possible. Know what you're weak against, and try to get some ideas going in on how to mitigate those weaknesses.

Pack light. Don't bring your entire collection with you, since table space will likely be at a premium. Ships, cards, tokens, dice, obstacles, templates, and a damage deck are all you really need, along with a way to carry them between rounds. That said...

DOUBLE CHECK THAT YOU HAVE EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE HOUSE. Or you might be like me, who made the hour-long drive to an event in the middle of a convention, already arrived late, and then realized that he didn't bring any of his ship cards or upgrades. Thankfully, the folks in my region are all cool and I was able to quickly borrow everything I needed.

Have fun!

Edited by PhantomFO

I would just say prepare for ordnance as probably 50% or more of lists are gonna contain them. I wouldnt prepare for the top of the top meta unless you plan on making the cut, in which case you should be practicing like crazy. Get a generic strategy together when facing certain archetypes, and if you have time left, then focus on specific lists. Two weeks probably isnt enough time. Just have a plan for harpoons and lists with Lowhhrick aka new biggs.

I went to three regionals last year ready to battle Parattanni and never faced the list until a top 8 match. So dont spend too much time preparing for QD and three harpoon Nu's. Just prepare for any harpoons and you will be good in most matches.

Dont be scared about the weird lists. Like "what if someone brings 4 resistance bombers?" or some weird crap. 1 person will bring crap like 4 resistance bombers, or 4 tlts, and go 3-3. If its your hard counter, and you get the 1 in 80 or 1 in 100 draw in facing that person, just deal with it. Dont waste time practicing against weird stuff.

Bring snacks like granola bars and water.

Dont be afraid to call a T.O. over for any iffy scenarios. Many new tournament players defer to the experienced players and just agree with their thoughts of in arc or out of arc etc. If its iffy, just call the T.O.

9 hours ago, PhantomFO said:

DOUBLE CHECK THAT YOU HAVE EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE HOUSE. Or you might be like me, who made the hour-long drive to an event in the middle of a convention, already arrived late, and then realized that he didn't bring any of his ship cards or upgrades. Thankfully, the folks in my region are all cool and I was able to quickly borrow everything I needed.

Have fun!

I would add double check you have all the damage cards after each game. There's nothing worse than to find you are missing one when the TO is doing a random check on your deck :P

Also, take a good shower, bring deodorant and maybe an extra shirt.

And have fun!

Set realistic goals for yourself. Win two games. Win more games than you lose. Make the cut. Make it to the final. I don't know how good you are, but you probably have a fair idea yourself. Pick one that seems attainable.

And one more thing that hasn't been covered. Coffee. I never fly without it.

17 hours ago, RunnerAZ said:

In the next 2 weeks, I will be attending my first regional since I started playing X-Wing.  Aside from checking out list juggler for common lists and figuring out my turn 0 rock placement, what are some good tips? (And if anyone is willing to share, what are the boogeyman lists that I should figure out a plan for before I get there)

The lists I'm keeping an eye on are-

Imperial Alpha Strike
Cruise missiles on PS11 pilots can one-turn-shot a small base ship, and eff up a large base ship.

Four Azituck
Reinforce + 180 degree arc makes for tough targets.

Anything with Trajectory Simulators. Getting a Proton Bomb in the face will make your ships sad.

Edited by Koing907

16 hours ago, LagJanson said:

Know your list is my best advice.

• when to joust
  • when to turn or break formation
  • when to close to point blank range
  • when to disengage

You also need to know:

when to hold ‘em

when to fold ‘em

when to walk away 

and when to run

Never count your MOV when you’re sitting at the table, there’ll be time enough for countin’ when the time has run. 

Don't be afraid to have your opponent explain their squad to you. There are top-tier squads that are commonly known about, but you will face at least 1 idiot like me that will bring lesser utilized pilots like Captain Kagi to counter the missile meta. You should know what your opponent's squad does so you can plan for a Trajectory bomb to the face.

You should also have a "Plan B" in case the squad you designed faces something that shuts down what you built it to do. If you're relying heavily on action economy, be prepared to face stress lists that will nullify your "Plan A," if you catch my meaning. I guess I'm trying to say have a plan, but be flexible with it.

Most of all, have fun and take care of yourself, like others have said here and on other similar threads. Good luck!

Edited by hothie

39 minutes ago, BlodVargarna said:

You also need to know:

when to hold ‘em

when to fold ‘em

when to walk away 

and when to run

Never count your MOV when you’re sitting at the table, there’ll be time enough for countin’ when the time has run. 

Ahem:

"The X-Winger"

On a warm summer's evening
In a game store out in nowhere
I met up with an X-Winger
We were both too wired to sleep
So we took turns a-playin'
On a game mat in the corner
Then fly casual overtook us
And he began to speak.

He said, "Son, I've made a life
Out of readin' people's faces