Wussypillow

Question/Idea: The Wookiee space fleet?

So here's a question/speculative exercise: What happened to the Wookiee space fleet? Presumably they had one: Despite their reputation as brutes, the Wookiees are supposedly quite technologically advanced ("Space" level in the old planetary ranking system from the D6 days). Presumably they had lots of good space ships.

Now maybe the Empire knew what a threat the Wookiees could be and so devoted extraordinary resources to pacifying Kashyyyk and so most of the more-impressive Wookiee ships were destroyed (or perhaps they were lost during the Clone Wars). Still, be interesting to think about what even a severely reduced Wookiee space fleet would could be like. Like, maybe just *one* Wookiee capital ship managed to slip away and eventually joined up with the Alliance fleet . . .

Most Wookiees on Kashyyk were enslaved by the Empire or escaped into the forests. After the rise of the Empire the Wookiee fleet scattered across the Galaxy. They prioritised fighting slavers and raiding facilities using slaves. The Empire marked them as high priority targets so few lasted until the Galactic Civil War. Some survived by pretending to be civilian freighters. They were unable to deploy more than a few gunships at the Liberation of Kashyyk. 

9 hours ago, Rosco74 said:

I never heard of a Wookiee space fleet. They sure have a great land army as we can see in the movies but a space fleet? maybe the comics refered it?

In the (now) Legends: It was heavily implied that the Wookiees and Trandoshans have both been a spacefaring species for millennia, both because they've been fighting each other for centuries, but also because Wookiee explorers have access to secret hyperspace routes which the Seperatists coveted (the original reason for the [cringe] droid attack on the wookiees). Secret routes which it would seem they mapped out themselves. Though, I have my doubts that Kashyyyk has any form of central government (please correct me if I am wrong), thus probably never really had any sort of centralised fleet.

Edited by BipolarJuice

On 12/26/2017 at 3:50 PM, LithiumBlossom said:

Kashyyk has kings, clans and chieftains. Never been clarified if it's unified or not. Go with what's best for your campaign. 

Right, but despite their large and seemingly 'barbarian' nature, the Wookiees are both a.) quite sociable and capable of cooperation among themselves and b.) fully conversant with 'modern' technology (remember Han's "Wow" from Force Awakens? Think about it: they developed, all on their own, something slightly *better* than blaster weapons).  

This to me militates in favor of a Wookiee star fleet of some kind. Now, I'm fully willing to believe they weren't centrally organized enough to have some huge military presence--the Mon Cala *barely* had that and they were as centralized as you come. I think of the individual members of the Old Republic as being like the individual members of NATO *other* than the U.S. and sort of Britain: This one nation has a HUGE military, so everyone else has, over time, sort of under-invested in their own militaries. 

But, as I say, I like the idea of the Wookiees having at least one absolutely kick-*** destroyer that slips away during the initial Imperial takeover. Since we never heard about it during the 'canonical' history of the Rebellion, I like to think of it as being like a Wookiee Nautilus: This lone avenger-ship that prowls the spaceways, a shadowy threat to the Empire who seldom leaves anyone alive to describe it.

Edited by Wussypillow

In our game the GM added in a Herglic exile fleet with huge super star destroyer sized world ships. Since the Herglics had a trade empire and explorer fleets all over the place that made sense. Wookies could have something similair, although they kind of seem less interested in colonization and exploration.

There are Wookiee Colony Worlds- some taken by the Empire; what’s not to say there is a hidden set of colonies down a deliberately forgotten space lane with their own fleet to protect them? 

Sorta like the Lesat from Rebels, but better.