Johan Marek Phoenix Knight

Genesys Creator Community Multiverse

Morridini and I have started work on what we have named "The OmniVerse". We are looking for some people to help us create this fantastic new setting compilation, and of course any feedback is welcome.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuMY3MjRfUeAvBDnLq8mkO_WHD2O

Edited by Johan Marek Phoenix Knight

Looks great, more like a variety of settings people are working on and that is in the Resources section which I have two different settings I started working on, one is the Battletech universe and the other is Dragonstar which I have two topics one covers the Races and the other covers everything else. Which I know Battletech would be a Tech level 3, Magic 0 and Dragonstar would be Tech level 3 and Magic Level 3 as there will be tech that does work quite well with Magic. Since it looks like you are going to be using the Magic and Technology Levels and Dragonstar will have Alchemist and Tecnomancers in the Game...

Johan and I have been discussing how to handle travelling around the OmniVerse and right now we are not quite seeing eye to eye on an idea of mine and we'd love some input from the rest of you. 

One of the ways that you can travel around the OmniVerse (most notably the way I want to use for my campaign) is not to travel physically between Verses, but by "Transferring" yourself (similar to The Strange). While Transferring your body is transformed to energy and recombine into a new body in the new Verse, with a body that matches the setting of the destination Verse.

Say you were a rather vanilla human from Earth in the Prime Verse, with 2's in all except for 4 int and brawn 1.  You travel to Tolkiens Middle-Earth and manifest as an Orc, a brutish Orc with Brawn 4 and Int 1.  The question now is how best to represent how this change would appear mechanically.

We both agree that you should still be YOU, which causes a conflict by you now having a much smaller Int then what your character is constructed around. Narratively I would say that you are now inhabiting a much smaller and less efficient brain, and thinking in this new body should be akin to thinking after having been up all night, you're still smart but your thoughts are sluggish.

Warlic thinks no changes should be done mechanically, and just keep it at the narrative level. Personally I want this to be reflected in the mechanics. One way to do this would be to simply accept that the characteristics change, consequences be damned. Another way would be to introduce setback and boost dies for the characteristics that should have been lowered or increased respectively. I am at the moment leaning towards this latter choice.

There's also the question of how to handle skills that are inherent to the Orc (skills an Orc at that stage in his life should be comfortable with), but that's another question for another time. Anyone got any thoughts on this dilemma of changing your body?

7 hours ago, ObiWanBilbo said:

That sounds like what TSR tried to do with Amazing Engine and Gygax tried to do (and well, till GDW was sued by TSR) with Dangerous Journeys. 

What part?

10 hours ago, Morridini said:

What part?

In both systems you were expected to create a base character (a PC’s soul, if you will) that would be fleshed out differently in the various setting books that were published. In DJ’s case the cease and desist order game before anything but its fantasy Mythus setting was published (I think a dark conspiracy setting was released at GenCon, but not published). Amazing Engine published several settings (a version of Metamorphoses Alpha being one), each packaged with the slim core rules. 

How about something sort of based on possession in Pathfinder.   You keep your mental stats, gain the physical stats of whatever you are possessing, can use your skills and  mental talents, but only the passive physical talents of the possessed.  I'm not sure what kind of specific language you would need to parse that all out for an actual Genesys character.