Jump to content
dpb1298

Ships We Still Need

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Tirion said:

It died fast

I noticed. I decided to go look for info, and found that the company behind it closed down. 

I can see why Armada won that war. Despite the license, it was pretty old school with models on sprues you have to assemble and paint yourself and measuring tape combat and movement. To me it made Armada look downright elegant and refined in comparison.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, GrandAdmiralCrunch said:

I noticed. I decided to go look for info, and found that the company behind it closed down. 

I can see why Armada won that war. Despite the license, it was pretty old school with models on sprues you have to assemble and paint yourself and measuring tape combat and movement. To me it made Armada look downright elegant and refined in comparison.  

The way ships threw dice was stupid too. You could only fire one weapon type on each "fleet" (grouping of ships),  you got more dice for the more of that type of weapon you had in that fleet so you wanted to group similar ships into those groups in order to throw more dice. Imagine it being like having to group mc30's together so you get better attacks but only ever being able to throw all red dice, all black dice, or all blue dice each time you attack. For some reason your other guns don't work? and if you group something like an mc30 with the blue dice with a cr90 you're throwing trash dice. I watched Owen from Gaming with the Cooler and his friend Ash from Guerrilla Miniature Games play it a couple times, it looked terrible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dominosfleet said:

The way ships threw dice was stupid too. You could only fire one weapon type on each "fleet" (grouping of ships),  you got more dice for the more of that type of weapon you had in that fleet so you wanted to group similar ships into those groups in order to throw more dice. Imagine it being like having to group mc30's together so you get better attacks but only ever being able to throw all red dice, all black dice, or all blue dice each time you attack. For some reason your other guns don't work? and if you group something like an mc30 with the blue dice with a cr90 you're throwing trash dice. I watched Owen from Gaming with the Cooler and his friend Ash from Guerrilla Miniature Games play it a couple times, it looked terrible. 

Oh man, I didn’t realize that. I watched a Dice Tower video on it, but it wasn’t very thorough. It told me enough to stay away though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GrandAdmiralCrunch said:

Oh man, I didn’t realize that. I watched a Dice Tower video on it, but it wasn’t very thorough. It told me enough to stay away though. 

I wish BFG still existed, I really wanted to try out Necrons(the 40k army i fielded). I can accept them being incredibly broken. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cynanbloodbane said:

I would buy it... but then again, I would buy the Imperial Tanker, where they just slapped engines and an ISD bridge tower on a giant fuel tank.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_tanker

Think of all the fun fuel upgrade cards  that could be made. 

All friendly ships/squadrons gain X. When destroyed, really nasty effect Y happens. 

A true support ship, that augments the rest of your fleet, but is a liability in battle! Love it!

Enhanced Turbolaser Ammunition

When friendly ship within distance 3 performs an attack against an enemy ship, it may add a red die set to a double hit icon. All damage cards dealt to this ship are dealt face-up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cynanbloodbane said:

I would buy it... but then again, I would buy the Imperial Tanker, where they just slapped engines and an ISD bridge tower on a giant fuel tank.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_tanker

Think of all the fun fuel upgrade cards  that could be made. 

All friendly ships/squadrons gain X. When destroyed, really nasty effect Y happens. 

A true support ship, that augments the rest of your fleet, but is a liability in battle! Love it!

I had never seen that. I also would buy that ship. The idea of a super useful support ship that's also a huge liability is pretty cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, DiabloAzul said:

You mean like an Interdictor? :P

Man, why's everybody always gotta hate on the Interdictor?:) I don't feel that the Interdictor is a liability. It's one of my favorite ships. I do think it's a little overcosted and I see too many people trying to run them as cheaper ISDs but I wouldn't call them a liability per se, although I guess I could see other people feeling that way. I know I hated it at first. I do see it as having too limited a role outside of campaign play currently. I'd love to see the Dic get some more Exp Retrofit upgrades and more titles to really make its role as a support ship shine. I was thinking more along the lines of a ship with little to no combat capability that needed to be protected but granted powerful fleet wide buffs at a relatively low cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, GrandAdmiralCrunch said:

I noticed. I decided to go look for info, and found that the company behind it closed down. 

I can see why Armada won that war. Despite the license, it was pretty old school with models on sprues you have to assemble and paint yourself and measuring tape combat and movement. To me it made Armada look downright elegant and refined in comparison.  

Spartan Games was feeling the squeeze from the skyrocketing price of material costs (tin went from $400 in 2000 to $1800 in 2012 or something), and possibly spread themselves too thin at the same time. HFB was just the wrong IP (did people still care about Halo? How much did they pay for the license?) at the wrong time (Spartan already in financial trouble). It might've grown into its own under other circumstances. 

Two other studios went under at almost exactly the same time, as did a few more +/- a year or so. It was a rough period for miniatures companies.

14 hours ago, GrandAdmiralCrunch said:

Oh man, I didn’t realize that. I watched a Dice Tower video on it, but it wasn’t very thorough. It told me enough to stay away though. 

Basically, you can group together attacks between multiple ships to form one big dice pool, and there are lots of mechanics (such as flat damage reduction) that encourage you to do so.

But if you ask me, that's not really a problem, just one design choice versus another. The "floaty" movement (shared with other similar games) is what made me uninterested. Conversely, movement is the best mechanic in Armada, and the feeling of momentum and limited ability to salvage a bad strategy that it brings, are what makes me like the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ianediger said:

Enhanced Turbolaser Ammunition

When friendly ship within distance 3 performs an attack against an enemy ship, it may add a red die set to a double hit icon. All damage cards dealt to this ship are dealt face-up.

Imperial Admiral:  Okay everyone the fleet is set, everything is ready for the jump.............oh by the way tell the suicide jockies in the tankers to keep their distance

don't want the new paint jobs on our star destroyers to be ruined. Oh sure .............high command said three tankers were needed for this mission...................right.................... nothing like floating fuel bombs ready to spoil someones day......................hmmmmmm....  floating fuel bombs..................very interesting........ensign Ratry pull up the capacity on those tankers.........I have a plan...........................

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2017 at 6:53 AM, stuh42asl said:

Imperial Admiral:  Okay everyone the fleet is set, everything is ready for the jump.............oh by the way tell the suicide jockies in the tankers to keep their distance

don't want the new paint jobs on our star destroyers to be ruined. Oh sure .............high command said three tankers were needed for this mission...................right.................... nothing like floating fuel bombs ready to spoil someones day......................hmmmmmm....  floating fuel bombs..................very interesting........ensign Ratry pull up the capacity on those tankers.........I have a plan...........................

 

I like where this is going. What if the negative drawback to these ships was something along the lines of "All ships within distance (x) suffers (x) damage when this ship is destroyed. All squadrons within distance (x) are destroyed." That way it has to stay close to your fleet to keep giving them a buff but also becomes a liability in case they are taken out. At the same time they would hold a certain level of protection if you could maneuver them close enough to the enemy as who would want to pop something that might cripple your own fleet just for some quick points?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, DarthVerkir said:

I like where this is going. What if the negative drawback to these ships was something along the lines of "All ships within distance (x) suffers (x) damage when this ship is destroyed. All squadrons within distance (x) are destroyed." That way it has to stay close to your fleet to keep giving them a buff but also becomes a liability in case they are taken out. At the same time they would hold a certain level of protection if you could maneuver them close enough to the enemy as who would want to pop something that might cripple your own fleet just for some quick points?

I think out right destroying squadrons might be a little bit overpowered. Maybe give it an effect like the ion cannon where you roll three dice and count crits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Skullfett said:

I would die to see tartan patrol cruisers in armada, the empire really lags small ships and needs squadron killers who don't die after 1 shot.

If they make the tartan like it was in empire at war where it can boost weapons power for a few seconds at the expense of defensive ability and speed then that would be cool. Tbh thoughthe tartan kinda absolutely wrecked squads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to keep pushing for the Vindicator-class Heavy Cruiser. @TallGiraffe did a good job of making one realistic...I'm considering buying a MelsMiniatures model to try it out.

It really would fill a gap in the Imperial fleet in Armada, namely, the less-than-VSD-but-less-limited-than-Arquitens gap. Plus, it looks pretty cool. Kinda like a smaller, hard-hitting version of the ISD.

vind33.jpg

I think one of these would be my ship in the Imperial Navy :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So heres my list of things I would like to see for each Faction:

Rebellion:

MC40A just to add another Mon Cal ship to the board.

Quasar-Fire Class Carrier, cause **** IT I want to put Sato in one of these

Gozanti Armed Transport Flotilla, civilianize it a lil bit from the Imperial flotilla

Dornean Gunship Flotilla, adds another Anti-Squadron unit to the Rebel arsenal

Munificient-class Frigate, could be the Medium size command ship that the Rebellion needs, along with a good frontal firing arc ship.

Recusant-Class Destroyer, otherwise known as the Commerce Guild Destroyer.

Providence-Class Destroyer, AKA the Invisible Hand, another good broadside candidate.

Imperial:

Venator Class Star Destroyer, brings in the early Empire Era

Accalamator Class Star Destroyer, another early Empire Era ship and another squadron carrier

Dual Faction:

Consular-Class Cruiser, another early Empire ship that could then be turned into a Rebellion ship with a little tinkering.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of neutral ships would be cool- instead of 2 different builds, there is an Imperial and Rebel version of the same ship in the same package.

 

Dreadnought class Heavy cruiser- Limited manueverability and command 3, but cheap and durable.

IPV-1 flotilla- System patrol craft flotilla with 2 blue front and sides, 1 rear, but no fleet upgrade slots. A basic combat flotilla.

Venator class Star Destroyer- Medium base ship similar to the Victory, but better command and broadsides, weaker front arc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MajorWesJanson said:

A couple of neutral ships would be cool- instead of 2 different builds, there is an Imperial and Rebel version of the same ship in the same package.

 

Dreadnought class Heavy cruiser- Limited manueverability and command 3, but cheap and durable.

IPV-1 flotilla- System patrol craft flotilla with 2 blue front and sides, 1 rear, but no fleet upgrade slots. A basic combat flotilla.

Venator class Star Destroyer- Medium base ship similar to the Victory, but better command and broadsides, weaker front arc.

You could also do that for factions that weren't part of either side, like the Hapans, Mandalorians, and the like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MajorWesJanson said:

Dreadnaught class Heavy cruiser- Limited manueverability and command 3, but cheap and durable.

IPV-1 flotilla- System patrol craft flotilla with 2 blue front and sides, 1 rear, but no fleet upgrade slots. A basic combat flotilla.

Venator class Star Destroyer- Medium base ship similar to the Victory, but better command and broadsides, weaker front arc.

These sound like solid builds to me. Honestly, I think if we're going to get the Venator, it has to reflect its massive hangar bay capacity that we see in Clone Wars, so maybe a squadron value on the level of the Quasar or perhaps even higher, but with a downside to balance it (i.e. a lower engineering value, less upgrade slots, or something similar)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am returning to this thread with newer ideas!

Dual Faction:

C-ROC Flotilla because more Flotillas are required

M3A interceptor Squadron because a dual faction Flotilla needs Squadrons to push around

(Insert bomber ship from X-wing's scum faction here)

Rebellion:

Salvaged Aquitens light cruiser (republic) for a small base capital ship with Imperial levels of firepower

N-1 Starfighter for a tankier anti-squadron Specialist

U-wing for the equivalent of whatever the gauntlet fighter does.

K-wing for a higher speed strike bomber

T-70 for an upgraded more expensive X-wing

Resistance A-wing for an upgraded and more expensive A-wing

Starfortress for a heavy bomber white extremely high anti ship power

Empire:

Venator because the empire needs a dedicated combat carrier other than the quasar fire.

Sith infiltrator because the empire needs more cloaks.

Tie striker for a shorter range anti fighter Specialist

Tie/droid for a cheap rouge Squadron

Tie/fo for an upgraded tie fighter

Tie/SF for an even more upgraded tie fighter

Tie silencer for a tankier anti Squadron fighter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about the armed consular cruiser from the clone wars for the empire? It definitely was part of the imperial military at the start of the dark ages as everything republic. I always think of the republic as the equivalent of the empire and the separatists as the rebel equivalent due to aesthetic, military and political similarities. The sides of the force and other religious aspects I can ignore;-)

So in general I would love to see more republic stuff for the empire to compensate for its lack of variety. I still think making the ARC rebel in X-wing was a huge mistake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2017 at 0:51 PM, GrandAdmiralCrunch said:

Oh man, I didn’t realize that. I watched a Dice Tower video on it, but it wasn’t very thorough. It told me enough to stay away though. 

I bought a few of the boxes because I loved the models.  The game wasn't the best.  Armada does make it look way more refined though.  I would love to see someone else take over an armada style Halo game because I love that universe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LennoxPoodle said:

What about the armed consular cruiser from the clone wars for the empire? It definitely was part of the imperial military at the start of the glorious reign of His Majesty the Emperor as everything republic. I always think of the republic as the equivalent of the empire and the separatists as the rebel equivalent due to aesthetic, military and political similarities. The sides of the force and other religious aspects I can ignore;-)

So in general I would love to see more republic stuff for the empire to compensate for its lack of variety. I still think making the ARC rebel in X-wing was a huge mistake.

Fixed that for you :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...