Jump to content
dpb1298

Ships We Still Need

Recommended Posts

Good point, I had forgotten the squadrons.  

Id still say it’s peetty unlikely that Disney/Lucas approves a ship that hasn’t been on screen if there are on screen options available.  

Which likely means that Resistance/FO ships will be in Armada’s future.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Allegiance Class Star Destroyer or Battlecruiser??

An increase in max points to 600 , or epic tournament play.

Corellion gunships DP20

The entire dreadnought class

Mon Calmari MC-90 dreadnought so the SSD has something worthy to engage

Bulwark bulk cruiser

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, stuh42asl said:

 

Mon Calmari MC-90 dreadnought so the SSD has something worthy to engage

 

MC90 is a bit on the small side. Viscount is the classic "SSD counterpart" used by the Legends New Republic.

If the Empire/FO gets the Mandator IV or Bellator - the Mediator Battlecruiser is the closest thing to a New Republic counterpart, assuming it's scaled at half the length of the biggest Viscount-class vessels, rather than the 3km prototype.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I had to put money on it, the MC85 and the Resurgent are almost certain to be next up in the pipeline over any EU stuff. As Shmitty said, I just don't see Disney being particularly keen to approve Legends stuff when there is readily available canon ships. From FFG's perspective, it makes sense to go that route as well. You're more likely to expand your player base if you're featuring things from the new movies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to raise the related question of symmetry.

By the term, I mean the notion that the two sides should both have ships that fill similar niches - like the Rebels getting something that has an Experimental Retrofit (which we haven't seen yet) and the Empire getting Fleet Command (which we soon will).

Obviously, I think the game should be balanced, where both sides have equal chance of winning any given match (ceteris paribus), but I don't think that the sides need to be symmetrical. Of course, that's a tricky thing to do, but I think FFG is up to the challenge.

The point being, while I think the Empire will be getting an SSD, that doesn't mean that I think the Rebels should get one too. (I say that both as a loyal imperial and as a lover of this game.) The two sides are not equivalent. The Empire is a legitimate galactic regime with the resources of a million worlds to draw on, while the Rebellion is a terrorist organization, aiming to disrupt galactic peace and stability. They should be different.

The Empire has the resources to build an SSD, as well as the motivation. Seeing such a great vessel in the sky brings pride and awe into the hearts of the Emperor's loyal subjects, while putting fear and despondency into the spines of Rebel sympathizers, who can see that their cause is hopeless and their defeat imminent. The Rebels, by contrast, do not have the resources to build such a thing; they can only fight the psychological war through the demonstrative destruction of such great public works as the Death Star.

Therefore, I ask of you - both loyal Imperials and Rebel scum who know what you are - stop thinking about what FFG might create as a Rebel counterpart to the Imperial SSD. They should not create such a thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Truthiness said:

If I had to put money on it, the MC85 and the Resurgent are almost certain to be next up in the pipeline over any EU stuff. 

Given how big those are, then even with the sliding scale, they might end up being a shade expensive for the average Armada fan.

 

I think smaller ships might be a bit more popular.

 

As to what ships to include - it's worth keeping in might that it isn't just the Galactic Civil War that can be represented - there's the Legends era as well - so New Republic ships can be valid choices as well as Rebel ships. The E-Wing is a New Republic starfighter, not a Rebel starfighter, after all.

Edited by Ironlord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ironlord said:

Given how big those are, then even with the sliding scale, they might end up being a shade expensive for the average Armada fan.

 

I think smaller ships might be a bit more popular.

Fair enough. Even with sliding scale, I think $60 would be the lowest we could expect for those. We haven't seen them next to OT ships, so I am more than happy to see a Resurgent and an MC85 that's only 25% bigger than an ISD. I just don't care what the cross section books say as far as length. It's just a number.

Not sure where else we could go, though. I think they could get to the Virgilia and the Maxima, but I can't see them doing those before the Resurgent and the MC85.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Truthiness said:

Fair enough. Even with sliding scale, I think $60 would be the lowest we could expect for those. We haven't seen them next to OT ships, so I am more than happy to see a Resurgent and an MC85 that's only 25% bigger than an ISD. 

Compared to Mel's Resurgent, the FFG ISD looks about 75% of the length, or so:

 

DRjsXrlXkAEW69b.jpg:large

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ironlord said:

Compared to Mel's Resurgent, the FFG ISD looks about 75% of the length, or so

Yup, that's what I was basing my assessment off of. Mel's version looks quite comfortable next to that ISD. Just big enough to distinguish it, but not so big as to be unplayable and prohibitively expensive. For that matter, the Dreadnought doesn't look half bad either.

Edited by Truthiness

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are the ships I wish to see in Armada one day, hopefully some of them sooner rather than later.

 

Empire

Acclamator-class Assault Ship*

Venator-class Star Destoryer*

Tartan-class Patrol Cruiser

Broadside-class Corvette*

Secutor-class Star Destroyer*

Praetor-class Star Destroyer

Vindicator-class Heavy Cruiser

Ton Falk-class Escort Carrier

Strike-class Medium Cruiser

Lancer-class Frigate

 

Rebellion

MC80 Wingless (isn't the same as home one)

MC80b Star Cruiser*

MC40a Light Cruiser*

MC90

Marauder-class Corvette*

Assault Frigate MK1 (both single and double prong bow)

Liberator-class Cruiser

Dauntless-class Heavy Cruiser

Providence-class Carrier-Destroyer

DP-20 Frigate*

Quasar Fire-class Cruiser-Carrier

 

Both Factions

DREADNAUGHT-CLASS CRUISER!!!!!*

Neutron Star-class Bulk Cruiser

 

Asterisk indicates ships they should do soon

Edited by Contax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Truthiness said:

Yup, that's what I was basing my assessment off of. Mel's version looks quite comfortable next to that ISD. Just big enough to distinguish it, but not so big as to be unplayable and prohibitively expensive. 

They are very expensive though. Once you get past Star Destroyer in size for Mel's models, the price goes up fast.

 

I would hope FFG's technology allows them to increase ship size without having to increase price as much. Being a big business rather than a small one might give them the advantage in that respect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need the old bulky Dreadnought-Class. To play classic Thrawn vs New Canon Thrawn. 

I mean, just think how it would look to see the Chimaera, Judicator or Death's Head with Dreadnought support and TiE Interceptors go up against the new, Tattoo-Chimaera with Arquitens or Interdictor Support flanked by TiE Defenders. 

It would be art.

Edited by DampfGecko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24.12.2017 at 5:56 PM, GrandAdmiralCrunch said:

That reminds me... did anyone ever play Halo Fleet Battles? Was it any good?

Just a little bit. Picked it up with a friend and played the Core Set "campaign" mission... things. I liked just how big the fleets could easily get, since Paris-class frigates are already almost 600 m long, and these are the length of a fingernail, three of them standing on a single base. So Fleet battles really felt like enourmous engagements with full fleets, less "task force"-like than Armada, which fits better with Star Wars anyway.

The game itself was decent. It had a few interesting ideas, such as MACs punching straight through a ship, leaving behind exploitable armor weaknesses. Other than that, it hit a lot of similar notes to Armada, from weapon damage being coupled to range, repair and fighter craft mechanics. Boarding troopers were interesting, as you had to fly landing craft past enemy fighters to start boarding actions. 

However, it had somewhat weird activation mechanics. The "battle group" mechanic in the end made bookkeeping and list building a bit messy and the game shot for some hard asymmetry with its factions. It's a shame we didn't get more ships, but in the end Armada certainly feels a lot more- for lack of a better word- "defined".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am with the chorus of people that would like to see

the Dreadnought for both sides

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dreadnaught-class_heavy_cruiser

Neb B 2 

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Nebulon-B2_frigate

And Assault Frigate MK I

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Assault_Frigate_Mark_I

 

Those are some of my favs I would like to see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/25/2017 at 5:21 AM, Mikael Hasselstein said:

I'd like to raise the related question of symmetry.

By the term, I mean the notion that the two sides should both have ships that fill similar niches - like the Rebels getting something that has an Experimental Retrofit (which we haven't seen yet) and the Empire getting Fleet Command (which we soon will).

Obviously, I think the game should be balanced, where both sides have equal chance of winning any given match (ceteris paribus), but I don't think that the sides need to be symmetrical. Of course, that's a tricky thing to do, but I think FFG is up to the challenge.

The point being, while I think the Empire will be getting an SSD, that doesn't mean that I think the Rebels should get one too. (I say that both as a loyal imperial and as a lover of this game.) The two sides are not equivalent. The Empire is a legitimate galactic regime with the resources of a million worlds to draw on, while the Rebellion is a terrorist organization, aiming to disrupt galactic peace and stability. They should be different.

The Empire has the resources to build an SSD, as well as the motivation. Seeing such a great vessel in the sky brings pride and awe into the hearts of the Emperor's loyal subjects, while putting fear and despondency into the spines of Rebel sympathizers, who can see that their cause is hopeless and their defeat imminent. The Rebels, by contrast, do not have the resources to build such a thing; they can only fight the psychological war through the demonstrative destruction of such great public works as the Death Star.

Therefore, I ask of you - both loyal Imperials and Rebel scum who know what you are - stop thinking about what FFG might create as a Rebel counterpart to the Imperial SSD. They should not create such a thing.

Why do the rebles anything more than a hero and an A wing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
11 hours ago, Payens said:

I don't know if they'll create different models for the two types of Assault Frigate MK1 or just just a ship card variant (that being the type 3&6). I can't find much info of it (haven't researched it too heavily tho), but I've found that the Assault Frigate MK1 is subdivided into types. 

https://taskforce4222.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/assfrigversions.jpg

This may be just a fannon explanation to the appearance of the type 3 in the old Rebellion game and the type 6 in the force awakens 2.

 

Edited by Contax
formatting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do  I need?

 

I'm a simple man, with simple needs, and an incredible hatred of anything JJ works on.

 

Therefore, what I "need" are the following.

 

Lando on the Falcon.

Assault Frigate mk1

 

Thats all I "need", everything else is pure gravy or ignored (I'm looking at you *** Frig mk2).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2017 at 10:05 AM, dpb1298 said:

Rebellion:

Braha’tok-class gunship

Nebulon-B2 Frigate 

DP20 Frigate/ Corellian Gunship

Resistance:

MC85 Star Cruiser 

Free Virgillia-class Bunker Buster

Vakbear-class Cargo Frigate

Nebulon-C Escort Frigate 

MG-100 StarFortress SF-17s

RZ-2 A-Wings

T-70 X-Wings

Empire:

Tie Striker

Tie Reaper??

First Order:

Mandator IV-class Siege Dreadnought 

Resurgent Class Star Destroyer 

TIE/ FO fighter

TIE/ SF Fighter 

 

An I missing anything else? The Supremacy is too large to be practical.  

I believe the Nebulon-B2 is an Imperial ship....the correct choice should be the Assault Frigate MK1 and the DP20 gunships

As for the Empire...the Vindicator class cruiser would be better then the two TIEs choices, since both are not good choices to be used in space. Strike cruisers come to mind also and so does the Dreadnought heavy cruiser. 

As for the SSD, one step at a time ladies and gentlemen...if there is a will...there will be an SSD in the future

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, DampfGecko said:

We need the old bulky Dreadnought-Class. To play classic Thrawn vs New Canon Thrawn. 

I mean, just think how it would look to see the Chimaera, Judicator or Death's Head with Dreadnought support and TiE Interceptors go up the new, Tattoo-Chimaera with Arquitens or Interdictor Support flanked by TiE Defenders. 

It would be art.

Well said...well said indeed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mikael Hasselstein said:

How could the Rebels get a hero and an A-wing? A kamikaze suicide terrorist and an A-wing, sure, but not a "hero".

I think they become heroes when they put their lives on the line standing up to a corrupt and mortally wrong regime built only to place the power of the galaxy in the hands of one mortally bankrupt individual. But who knows, one person's hero is another's terrorist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Steck638 said:

I think they become heroes when they put their lives on the line standing up to a corrupt and mortally wrong regime built only to place the power of the galaxy in the hands of one mortally bankrupt individual. But who knows, one person's hero is another's terrorist.

Oh look an idealist...

I'll keep fighting for Imperial order and justice in our galaxy,  you keep fighting for whatever scummy ideals you prefer, and we'll see how it turns out :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Steck638 said:

I think they become heroes when they put their lives on the line standing up to a corrupt and mortally wrong regime built only to place the power of the galaxy in the hands of one mortally bankrupt individual. But who knows, one person's hero is another's terrorist.

Well, hypothetically speaking, that would make one a hero - Darth Vader is just such a person - but what in the galaxy does that have to do with the case we are discussing?

Also, your moral relativism is repugnant. Please have your bags prepared for when the ISB comes to collect you. You will not need your things where you're going (spice mines of Kessel), but they will have some pawning value that can go to support the orphans, widows and widowers of real heroes who have fallen in defense of the New Order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...