Sign in to follow this  
Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

The Supremacy

3 minutes ago, Lord Tareq said:

Would be nice. Honestly they need to introduce transporter technology into Starwars if they keep making the ships bigger. It'll take two years to disembark the crew for a week of shore leave at this rate.

Yup. The biggest technological innovation that led to tall skyscapers wasnt steel or concrete, it was the safety brake on lifts.

25 minutes ago, Lord Tareq said:

Would be nice. Honestly they need to introduce transporter technology into Starwars if they keep making the ships bigger. It'll take two years to disembark the crew for a week of shore leave at this rate.

I love intelligible detail as much as the next guy. I also doubt that the filmmakers put as much attention into the detail as many fans do. I further imagine that the Lucasfilm Story Group (LSG) is much more about figuring out realistic explanations for what the filmmakers have done than they are about telling the filmmakers what they can't do because it would collide with existing canon.

That said, I want the filmmakers to tell a good story and not get bogged down too much. I think we fans are much too eager to appear smarter than the LSG and pontificate too readily about why something is impossible.

For example: 'shore leave'? Is the First Order some sort of Princess Cruises rather than a totalitarian regime ****-bent on galactic domination?? Also, why would the crew need to all take shore leave at once?

It sounds to me like too many fans need something to gripe about.

it is worth noting the Supremacy is as much a City, Factory site, and Shipyard as it is a warship. it is the mobile Capitol of the First Order. this means it pretty much has to be big, to house all that stuff and the thousands of people needed to run all of it.

it is also tiny compared to the Death Star's, yet no one ever complains that those are impossibly big for the setting.

it is about the size of NYC, so transit around the ship should not be a huge problem. yes walking would take a bit, as it does to move around a city, but you can bet it has a mass transportation system built in (probably horizontal tunnel systems akin to subways or light rail lines) to help people get from part to part fast.

and going by its size and crew #'s, it would actually be less crowded than NYC.

Edited by mithril2098

Mithril covered what I wanted to say, so +1.

What it does make me wonder is how many other command ships of this scale are out there. Notably the page talks about republic-era battlecruiser made by wealthy core planets, and extravagant replicas of xim the despot's flagship... All compared to the executor.

Edited by Norsehound

4 hours ago, ricefrisbeetreats said:

I’m constantly reminded that movie makers don’t understand size, distance, and logistics.

I'm constantly reminded that people don't understand how large a Galaxy is, and the massive benefits of a self contained city to take everything you want along with you to prosecute a war effectively. You know supply lines and stuff over multiple light year distances.

The original Deathstar (and the Deathstar II) were configured much the same, with shipyards and hangers for capital ships, and facilities to allow the Emperor to govern from it as a mobile headquarters. though the Deathstar's had to be much much bigger to house the superlaser weapon.

Edited by mithril2098

5 hours ago, TheEasternKing said:

I'm constantly reminded that people don't understand how large a Galaxy is, and the massive benefits of a self contained city to take everything you want along with you to prosecute a war effectively. You know supply lines and stuff over multiple light year distances.

Totally.  Until Star Wars creates something like a hyperdrive, it makes sense to drag everything with you wherever you go.  I mean, that’s what I did in the military.  Brought excessive amounts of supplies with us everywhere we went.

27 minutes ago, ricefrisbeetreats said:

Totally.  Until Star Wars creates something like a hyperdrive, it makes sense to drag everything with you wherever you go.  I mean, that’s what I did in the military.  Brought excessive amounts of supplies with us everywhere we went.

Im not sure how sarcastic, if at all this post is suppost to be....

9 hours ago, ricefrisbeetreats said:

Yep and then you get to deal with Time Dilation, great isn't it? your experiences in the military mean zip here. And I am pretty sure any successful military force is so because of established supply lines.

Face it, having a mobile space fabrication platform, that can also house troops, civilians, and the materials you need to prosecute a war, in something the size of a galaxy is of monumental benefit. 

Space is the most inimical environment known, by a significant margin, Ship size is important, size means redundancy, size means safety, size means being self sufficient. 

They don't just make larger and larger ships because it makes them look scary, they do so because it makes them more effective at surviving and projecting force.

Not sure I'd buy that. Your power and resources are consolidated at a single point. This creates a significant target for any enemy action like, for example, a single ship ramming it at a high speed...

Any benefits are outweighed by the far greater risks that employing such a weapon system would entail.

That and every excessively large ship the empire has fielded has been either destroyed or crippled by a relatively tiny enemy force.

25 minutes ago, Flare 22 said:

Not sure I'd buy that. Your power and resources are consolidated at a single point. This creates a significant target for any enemy action like, for example, a single ship ramming it at a high speed...

Nah, would never happen.

4 hours ago, Flare 22 said:

Any benefits are outweighed by the far greater risks that employing such a weapon system would entail.

That and every excessively large ship the empire has fielded has been either destroyed or crippled by a relatively tiny enemy force.

Is that any different than a land based installation? or an Orbital ship yard? you're talking like they aren't just as vulnerable in there own ways. Anything has pros and cons.

And please, it is a movie where the underdog is supposed to win, it is scripted to be so, the reality is they would have been annihilated, but that wasn't the script.