Sign in to follow this  
Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

The Supremacy

10 hours ago, TheEasternKing said:

Yep and then you get to deal with Time Dilation, great isn't it? your experiences in the military mean zip here. And I am pretty sure any successful military force is so because of established supply lines.

Face it, having a mobile space fabrication platform, that can also house troops, civilians, and the materials you need to prosecute a war, in something the size of a galaxy is of monumental benefit. 

Space is the most inimical environment known, by a significant margin, Ship size is important, size means redundancy, size means safety, size means being self sufficient. 

They don't just make larger and larger ships because it makes them look scary, they do so because it makes them more effective at surviving and projecting force.

From what has been shown in the films and new canon there is no time dilation. Heck, TLJ proves that you can make a trip from literally one end of the galaxy to the other in less than 6 hours. 

27 minutes ago, Radaeon said:

Nor does it sell merchandise 

You mean to tell me that the Supremacy doesn't have a Yogurt shop that sells Space Balls The Flamer Thrower!? Where else are the flametroopers supposed to get their weapon?

The only way to travel light year distances without time dilation would be via wormholes, which would allow instantaneous transportation from point A to point B. 

Traveling at a percentage of the speed of light, or faster means time dilation, no getting out of it, just because it only takes you 6 weeks to cross the galaxy doesn't mean for people on the planets you left / traveled to decades/centuries will have elapsed.

5 hours ago, TheEasternKing said:

The only way to travel light year distances without time dilation would be via wormholes, which would allow instantaneous transportation from point A to point B. 

Traveling at a percentage of the speed of light, or faster means time dilation, no getting out of it, just because it only takes you 6 weeks to cross the galaxy doesn't mean for people on the planets you left / traveled to decades/centuries will have elapsed.

But isn’t that kinda how hyperspace works? You travel through the bends in space which allows you to go faster than the speed of light while still conserving mass and all? That’s how I always thought it worked

7 minutes ago, Visovics said:

But isn’t that kinda how hyperspace works? You travel through the bends in space which allows you to go faster than the speed of light while still conserving mass and all? That’s how I always thought it worked

Not quite: hyperspace involves "tunneling" though dimensional barrier to a dimension of space where distances are shorter then our own. Ergo the term 'hyper'space.

Though there are multiple ways hyperspace is thought to function, some say it reduces space, other that is changes time, etc. 

Yeah, hyperspace negates time dilation with space magic.  It's Star Wars after all.

Time dilation would change the entire setting of Star Wars as we know it.  The setting already handwaves itself around discussions involving relitavistic distances, whereupon by the time ships can be seen if they are a significant distance away, they will actually be in another place due to the speed of light meaning you see them where they were minutes or hours ago, regardless of how fast your ship can go.

Space fantasy.

Edited by AegisGrimm

16 hours ago, TheEasternKing said:

Is that any different than a land based installation? or an Orbital ship yard? you're talking like they aren't just as vulnerable in there own ways. Anything has pros and cons.

And please, it is a movie where the underdog is supposed to win, it is scripted to be so, the reality is they would have been annihilated, but that wasn't the script.

Yeah, perhaps, but as you stated, it is a movie. Reality is that nobody can say it is either a good or bad plan as the entire scenario is fictitious. Any strategic or tactical thoughts would really have to be based on the only reality from which we can draw...our own. Given this, we can look at massive battleships from older naval forces, strong defensive fortifications such as the Maginot line, or conventional forces engaged in asymmetric warfare to help us understand this sci-fi scenario.

All of it is merely a thought exercise, but a fun one at least. 😀

Many years ago, I created an online Nav Computer, which had calculated the time it would take from any one system in the galaxy to nearly 2500 other systems. It was based on the time-scales published in the old West End Games D6 RPG material, and selected novels.

It's quite clear that West End Games had a galaxy in mind that took much longer to traverse than has since been depicted in canon materials. I think it's still an awesome engine, and you can substitute hours for days, or whatever you like.

Essentially, in the Star Wars galaxy you traverse space at the speed of plot.

15 hours ago, DrakonLord said:

Think of an onion - we exist on the outmost layer, hyperspace is a layer closer to the centre where the distance is shorter.

A 4 dimensional Onion?

I don‘t think my stomach is capable of digesting that...

I am definitely not hungry

seriously now, nice comparison 👍

Edited by Captain_Nemo

1 hour ago, Yosh6314 said:

Onions have layers? Much like ogres I presume.

Yes Im refering to hyperspace being akin to Shrek.

I was sooo hoping someone would make this joke :)

2 hours ago, Captain_Nemo said:

A 4 dimensional Onion?

I don‘t think my stomach is capable of digesting that...

I am definitely not hungry

seriously now, nice comparison 👍

Hahaha thanks, but i cant take all the credit for the comparison, read it somewhere but i cant remeber where, been so long.

On 23.12.2017 at 10:08 PM, mithril2098 said:

it is worth noting the Supremacy is as much a City, Factory site, and Shipyard as it is a warship. it is the mobile Capitol of the First Order. this means it pretty much has to be big, to house all that stuff and the thousands of people needed to run all of it.

Spoiler! (If that still matters)

So basically Holdo's ramming action put the First Order in kind of the same situation than the New Republic after the Starkiller attack? Hmm... that might get interesting.

Edited by DampfGecko

Stop trying to science star wars, George lucas does not science. at no point in any of these movies has science been a real consideration. You're thinking of Star Trek, Star Trek sciences pretty well(just stay away from the JJ verse if you want science, JJ verse went into star wars land). 

30 minutes ago, dominosfleet said:

Stop trying to science star wars, George lucas does not science. at no point in any of these movies has science been a real consideration. You're thinking of Star Trek, Star Trek sciences pretty well(just stay away from the JJ verse if you want science, JJ verse went into star wars land). 

I love how people talk about Star Trek like its real science, it's as much fantasy as Starwars is and as such a discussion on either universes "science" is as valid as the other.

12 minutes ago, TheEasternKing said:

I love how people talk about Star Trek like its real science, it's as much fantasy as Starwars is and as such a discussion on either universes "science" is as valid as the other.

TNG had scientists they would consult on episodes to make sure they got their episodes as close to true as possible(and put in nonsense with real world references to make up for what they couldn't directly science I.E. "Heisenberg compensator"). 

Star Wars put in a scene where you could throw a rock while standing on one asteroid and hit another in an asteroid field. Talking about Star Wars science is akin to talking about the  political dynamics in the middle east of the rugrats universe. 

Edit: the universe literally has space wizards. 

Edited by dominosfleet

4 hours ago, dominosfleet said:

Star Wars put in a scene where you could throw a rock while standing on one asteroid and hit another in an asteroid field. Talking about Star Wars science is akin to talking about the  political dynamics in the middle east of the rugrats universe. 

I’ve been doing it all wrong then. For the longest time I was sure the Pickles family was a Taliban terrorist cell.

8 hours ago, dominosfleet said:

TNG had scientists they would consult on episodes to make sure they got their episodes as close to true as possible(and put in nonsense with real world references to make up for what they couldn't directly science I.E. "Heisenberg compensator"). 

Edit: the universe literally has space wizards. 

It is still made up, Star Trek is fantasy, not real, it is as unreal as Star Wars is, until we can actually do the things we see in Star Trek, we have no clue...none at all how to accomplish the things we see, we can speculate, we can discuss, we can submit hypothesis after hypothesis, we can even produce highly detailed theorems, but they are still all guesses.

As such discussing how they make something, or how something does what we see, is actually how we learn, it is what fires our imaginations, and drives us to learn/understand it is how we produce technology, it is how we evolve our understanding of our environments, and here you come telling us not to talk about it, because your happy with it all being incomprehensible space magic, well bully for you, I'm thrilled you are happy with your ignorance, the rest of us are not however.