Sign in to follow this  
theninthguardian

New Rules Reference

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/e5/07/e5073bb8-9588-4c09-b858-39f38fd263f1/l5c01-rules_reference-highres-v11.pdf

I like it, mostly. Clears up a lot of stuff and there's a new FAQ. My biggest disappointment was the discovery of this red text on page 17: "A player cannot bring into play a unique card owned by his or her opponent if that opponent controls an in-play copy of that card."

This is going to make mirror-matches more annoying. It was how things were done in AEG L5R (and even they eventually did away with it as it was pretty pointless) but was less of an issue as you could only have one copy of Uniques in your deck, but now you can have 3. It's not clear to me why this change was instituted, except for fluff reasons. As a design/mechanics decision, I don't understand it.

Edited by theninthguardian

9 minutes ago, theninthguardian said:

I like it, mostly. Clears up a lot of stuff and there's a new FAQ. My biggest disappointment was the discovery of this red text on page 17: "A player cannot bring into play a unique card owned by his or her opponent if that opponent controls an in-play copy of that card."

This is going to make mirror-matches more annoying. It was how things were done in AEG L5R (and even they eventually did away with it as it was pretty pointless) but was less of an issue as you could only have one copy of Uniques in your deck, but now you can have 3. It's not clear to me why this change was instituted, except for fluff reasons. As a design/mechanics decision, I don't understand it.

Not as bad as you think.  It just protects you from an Actress pulling a copy of a unique from your discard if you have a copy in play already.  Doesn't stop them from bringing in their own copy normally.

Was the thing about Hotaru and Toturi giving your OPPONENT the Ring resolution if you use them on the defense known before? I play neither of those clans, so if it was I must have missed that ruling. If I were a Lion or a Crane, I'd be pretty upset. It's a very counterintuitive ruling.

11 minutes ago, Mandalore525 said:

Was the thing about Hotaru and Toturi giving your OPPONENT the Ring resolution if you use them on the defense known before? I play neither of those clans, so if it was I must have missed that ruling. If I were a Lion or a Crane, I'd be pretty upset. It's a very counterintuitive ruling.

It's been known for awhile, but was hoped to have an errata or reversal on the ruling. Clearly FFG decided to leave it as is. 

1 minute ago, Zesu Shadaban said:

It's been known for awhile, but was hoped to have an errata or reversal on the ruling. Clearly FFG decided to leave it as is. 

Welp, I guess that's just one more complexity I'll have to go over if I convince any of my friends to try this game :/. It's very unintuitive, but oh well...

Hey, I don’t want to be an @ss, OP, but this is the third thread about this. We have the other two in the rules sub forum. 

There has been some discussion there regarding the new rules, erratas, and FAQs, so if your have any questions you might head there for answers. 

You know, just to keep things in the forums tidy, and not spread all over here and there...

Wow, I really ended up sounding like an @ss... 

Edited by Tabris2k

On 12/23/2017 at 6:21 AM, Tabris2k said:

Hey, I don’t want to be an @ss, OP, but this is the third thread about this. We have the other two in the rules sub forum. 

There has been some discussion there regarding the new rules, erratas, and FAQs, so if your have any questions you might head there for answers. 

You know, just to keep things in the forums tidy, and not spread all over here and there...

Wow, I really ended up sounding like an @ss... 

No, that's fair. FFG forums are particularly bad about everything getting dumped in the main thread and the subforums getting ignored. I'm fine with the thread getting reported and shifted into the appropriate forum, or deleted under the excuse of 'asked and answered'. I don't believe I've got the ability to move it on my own.