Sign in to follow this  
Donel

Charles Ross, Esq.

So, can you exhaust him twice over the course of two turns without playing an item to get a two resource discount on the next item played? His effect doesn't have an expiration date built in.

If so, does the effect tie into the investigators location moving with him when he moves or would it be static to the location the effect was used at?

I have similar questions to him, but I would houserule that it doesn't stack. In fact, I almost want to houserule that the discount has to apply to something played that turn.

I think what it is intended to function as mainly is to make an asset cheaper for YOU to buy for someone else when they play it and you pay for it. You just have to trigger him before they play it as it is a free trigger action so could be played during the player window right before they play the card. I'd have to review my player windows, but that's what it intuitively feels like it is meant to do. Not saying there aren't other ways to use the card.

Edited by Soakman

I had always assumed to the end of the round, but you're right, it doesn't actually say that on the card.  By the letter of the rule, I would say you could, but I'm almost positive this isn't how it was intended to work.  Aside from a few things for which there are specific tokens... (sanity/stamina, ammo, charges, supply tokens, etc),   most things don't carry from round to round, to make bookkeeping easier.    I suppose you could add a supply token to Charles Ross esq. to keep track of his discount, interesting.   Again, I'm pretty sure this isn't the intention, but by the RAW, it seems legal.

Your second question I asked myself when the card came out,  BDFlory and  Khudzlin were kind enough to reply.... unfortunately they gave opposite answers.      As far as I can tell... nobody knows the answer to this.

Yeah, it seems to me that it stacks with itself. At least until an Item asset is played, in which case it uses all the effects of Charles Ross regardless of the cost of the item. 

The second on Lasting Effects in the rules reference supports effect lasting until they say they end.

I'd argue that it's not a Lasting Effect at all.  It doesn't specify a duration, and it doesn't have an ongoing effect that expires.  Rather, it is a Delayed Effect.  Emphasis mine.

Some abilities create delayed effects. Such abilities specify a future timing point, or indicate a future condition that may arise, and dictate an effect that will happen at that time.

• Each delayed effect initiates automatically and immediately (as a forced ability) if its future timing point or future condition occurs.
  • A delayed effect affects all specified entities that are in the specified game area and eligible at the time the delayed effect resolves.

I'd further argue that the second bullet implies that the location is where you are when the targeted Item is played, not when you exhaust Charles.  It would say "this location" or "your current location" otherwise.  Besides, tracking every location where you've used him is impractical.

I do think it stacks.  If it didn't stack, it might as well just say "Once per round, reduce the cost etc. etc."

Edited by CSerpent

2 hours ago, CSerpent said:

I'd argue that it's not a Lasting Effect at all.  It doesn't specify a duration, and it doesn't have an ongoing effect that expires.  Rather, it is a Delayed Effect.  Emphasis mine.

I'd further argue that the second bullet implies that the location is where you are when the targeted Item is played, not when you exhaust Charles.  It would say "this location" or "your current location" otherwise.  Besides, tracking every location where you've used him is impractical.

I do think it stacks.  If it didn't stack, it might as well just say "Once per round, reduce the cost etc. etc."

I'd +1 this.  It does feel a little weird.  I hate diving into intent, but considering alternate wording helps illustrate it.

Reaction: When an investigator at your location plays an Item asset, exhaust Charles to reduce the cost by 1.

That would prevent it from stacking, and lock the location down clearly.  Barring clarification, I think CSerpent has it right.