eldath

Genesys Rocketship Empires 1936

Though a lot of my focus is on Symbaroum at the moment I am looking seriously at putting together Rocketship Empires 1936 as a setting with Genesys. For those unfamiliar with it, the setting was created by a friend of mine called Edward Kaan and is 1936 in space. He refers to it as Tube punk. It was originally released as a systemless setting, allowing the GM to run the game in the system of their choice. 

The base concept is that at the end of the Great War in 1918, just as the people were talking about this being the last war, the Martians descended in their war machines and informed us that they were most impressed with our ability to make war and offered us the technology to take to the stars and build our empires in the vastness of space in return for us helping them in a war. We of course accepted and now occupy a great many worlds. 

They also informed us that we were once rulers of the Galaxy until our subject races overthrew us and imprisoned the survivors on a little world which came to be known as Earth. 

So get ready to launch in your B25 rocketship with Billy Holiday blaring out of the wireless. 

Edited by eldath

I have spoken to Ed and he has told me that he will upload Rocketship Empires files to his Google+ account so people can access them. He won't be available for a while due to a private issue but I will post the link once he passes it to me.

Update

I have started to put together the setting document, as Ed has not yet provided the images which will be available I have selected placeholders. This does however mean that until he lets me know what is available for use I can't post what I have done. I am currently working on the Psi rules, then I will be filling out Rocketships including space combat rules. I will need to put together some basic antagonists; Nazi Stormtrooper, SS officer, Japanese office, Japanese enlisted, Pirate, etc., and of course some example Rocketships like the B25 etc.

Next time I speak to him I will see if he is happy with me passing copies of the PDF's I purchased to those interested, as a stop gap until he uploads the files to his Google+ folder.

Edited by eldath

Psi

In order to be a Psionic, or Warlock, in Rocketship Empires you need to have ranks in the Psi skill and ranks in the Talent Warlock. The skill can only be purchased if it is a Career skill, however no Career provides it and the Talent must be taken at character generation.

Talent

Warlock:

Tier: 1+ Spl

Activation: Passive

Ranked: Yes (Spl)

The first rank of this Talent must be selected at character generation and provides the following benefits: The Psi skill becomes a career skill, the
character may select one of the five Powers available to a Psionic (Attack, Barrier, Curse, Heal* and Utility). Each time the Talent is purchased the
character selects a different power but must purchase the Talent at the next highest Tier; so for example if Josef buys the Tier one Talent Warlock and
selects Barrier as his power, the next time he purchased the Talent he must purchase it as a Tier two Talent, then a Tier three etc. * The Heal power 
does not have access to Resurrection .

The rest of the Psionic rules would work pretty much the same as the Core book magic rules. 

I will be including an optional alternative where gaining the powers is limited by the character finding someone to teach them. This would entail the Tier one Talent becoming Psionic Potential (write-up below), and a Knowledge - Lore skill check required to learn each new power. Obviously the biggest issue with handling the learning of Powers this way is that it should take a while in game time, a period of between some weeks and months to learn the intricacies of each Psionic discipline, but quite often the characters are in a hurry. They must save the galaxy, or they are being hunted or one of many similar time limiters. 

You could handle this by having the character roll their Knowledge - Lore roll and then run a cut scene describing an intense period of learning, many sleep free nights and informing the player that their character is extremely tired. I would also rule that each activation of a power would cost one additional point of strain for a period of time, probably for at least a session or two to show the fatigue the Psion is suffering from after such an intense learning period.

Talent

Psionic Potential:

Tier: 1

Activation: Passive

Ranked: No

This Talent provides the following benefits: Knowledge - Lore and the Psi skill becomes a career skills and allows the Psion to learn Psionic Powers.