Dragonshadow

It's been three weeks, FFG

32 minutes ago, 2P51 said:

I'm sure they are, that's why I said if we don't hear anything before yesterday it'll be after the New Year.  They had the announcement that they were closing up shop the 22nd till the 2nd.

Hey, I'm not trying to deny anyone a holiday break.  I apologize if my comments were taken that way.

39 minutes ago, Dragonshadow said:

Hey, I'm not trying to deny anyone a holiday break.  I apologize if my comments were taken that way.

Absolutely not! I didn't take them that way at all. I was just making a comment more or less in a vacuum, but not completely. 

No offense to the OP, but playing the "Lack of Support" card at this point might be a tad premature. I haven't even finished reading the rulebook. :) 

If we don't get the Runebound sourcebook announcement by February, I am onboard though.

The amount of material appearing already on this forum and on Facebook is rather amazing, and certainly makes me feel like Genesys is going to have long legs.  Perhaps what I'd really like to see is the developers engaging more visibly and frequently with the community.  There are many RPG's, and in many cases--really in most cases with smaller shops--the creators are also players and actively discussing the game and soliciting useful tweaks.  Recently the RPG Open Legend was a stellar example of this sort of interaction, where an SRD emerged for free early in the Kickstarter and was continually tweaked up to and beyond publication of the core rulebook.  FFG seems aloof in comparison, although thankfully they haven't gotten around to shutting down threads where content from the Star Wars books is being rather freely shared.  It's exactly those sorts of discussions and resources that will keep Genesys rolling along between official offerings.

I'm done complaining (ha!  for now anyway) because in general I couldn't be much more happy about the materials at hand, since the influx of community content has kept me busy so far as I design my own setting.  There's some really good stuff, and often multiple, equally interesting examples of how to handle X or Y being presented here.

I believe there will be supplements in the near future. Look at Savage Worlds. They repackage anything they have already done into the system, the generic source supplements and then specific world's. I am sure FFG will follow suit. Plus, like some other companies maybe they will just sit back and let the fans do the hard work and the charge us $20 for a spot polished .pdf.

2 hours ago, Dragonshadow said:

Perhaps what I'd really like to see is the developers engaging more visibly and frequently with the community.

Hopefully, that'll pick up once the holidays are over and they're back from vacation.

Not to be a downer, but don't get your hopes too high for a lot of FFG/community feedback.

Many of the faces we know, like Sam Stewart and Max Brooke, are all busy working on numerous projects all the time, and many other faces are actually freelance writers, so their ability to manage the community is limited to answering questions post-release. They would have to hire a person to fill the slot of a community manager, and, let's face it, that just bleeds money.

Any position like that would be super limited, because they would probably be tasked with managing all the communities for all of FFG's products, and the company has the policy of keeping a tight lid on any information about ongoing projects outside of bite-sized pieces of information.

Hype can be a good thing.  It can give you just enough of a taste that it leaves you wanting MORE.  The problem is if you can't deliver within what most might feel is a timely manner, then all you're going to do is make people more frustrated and feel like they shouldn't have as much faith in you.  Like their star wars book "Fully Operational" was announced about 9 months ago?  And the status is still not released.  That has made me more frustrated than if they had waited longer to announce it and produced it closer to when they announced it.  I don't doubt they will get it out eventually, and the quality of stuff they produce has me thinking they're just perfecting the material before they get it out.  Still frustrated though and I've seen others on the forums just as frustrated.  So I get them trying to hold off announcing stuff until they are closer to delivering it to our hot hands.

10 hours ago, Swordbreaker said:

Not to be a downer, but don't get your hopes too high for a lot of FFG/community feedback.

I'm keeping my expectations minimal: an answer here and there like when I emailed them and Sam gave me an answer. Maybe a blog post here and there. I don't expect any product announcement, because, as Lordannoyed so rightly pointed out: if a date is stated and they don't make it, there is almost more uproar over that than just not announcing things.

Plus I'm up to my elbows in making my Six-Guns and Sorcery world. (And, yes, I know that R. Talsorian Games already has a game called Six-Guns and Sorcery, but I didn't know that before I thought it was cool sounding! So THERE! :P )

Edited by ArtWend
To be sassy, baby. Yeah.

On 12/23/2017 at 8:11 PM, themensch said:

Blog posts are cheap, though.  The hype engine can run without product announcements.  Perhaps this is such a toolkit that we're going to be the ones marketing it, too!  :lol:

Money wise, absolutely. Time wise, not so much. That writing takes time away from other projects. Question is if the ROI on Blogs is worth it.

1 hour ago, ArtWend said:

Money wise, absolutely. Time wise, not so much. That writing takes time away from other projects. Question is if the ROI on Blogs is worth it.

Pshaw, someone can bang those out a lot faster than one every couple months.  I've been doing internet marketing since the early 90's and I don't buy their silence on the subject.   

On 29.12.2017 at 9:00 PM, lordannoyed said:

Like their star wars book "Fully Operational" was announced about 9 months ago?  And the status is still not released.  That has made me more frustrated than if they had waited longer to announce it and produced it closer to when they announced it.

But even there, I think the frustration is coming from the lack of communication.  If they would just tell us what is happening, it would be better. 

We have a game company here in Germany that is pretty good about this. They tell us what is in the works, what the status is, and also explain delays that happen all the time. Yes, it is frustrating that the magic source book is still unavailable that they started talking about more than 2 years ago. But knowing that they found some game-breaking issues in the conjuration rules helps me to feel good about it, because I prefer a solid ruleset over an early one.

20 hours ago, themensch said:

Pshaw, someone can bang those out a lot faster than one every couple months.  I've been doing internet marketing since the early 90's and I don't buy their silence on the subject.   

Sheesh. Lighten up, Francis.

But you've gone and given us a prime example on how it is just less painful to say nothing than to say anything.

Guess since I'm gonna get bitten for being a positive, upbeat kinda guy, I'll just take my leave from the board for a few weeks.

2 hours ago, ArtWend said:

Sheesh. Lighten up, Francis.

But you've gone and given us a prime example on how it is just less painful to say nothing than to say anything.

Guess since I'm gonna get bitten for being a positive, upbeat kinda guy, I'll just take my leave from the board for a few weeks.

I can call out their lack of effort without claiming personal injury! :lol: