Dragonshadow

It's been three weeks, FFG

Time for another article on the home page.  Give us something!  Bring the CRB teases for new settings home with some actual target years and quarters.  Give a shout out to active communities here and on Facebook that are putting some more (much needed) meat on the Genesys bones.*  Heck, acknowledge there's a PDF!  You need to sustain the impression that you're behind the product, not the other way around.

*But don't acknowledge the Dark Heresy conversion or Games Workshop will send Tom Cruise a C&D.

The frustrating thing is I think Genesys will have support (of sorts) once setting books arrive, but I suspect those books will not be supplemental, but rather standalone.  We'll have the Runebound RPG, the Android RPG, the Twilight Imperium RPG, etc.  I suspect they don't want to make a public statement to that effect anytime soon or they'll hurt sales of the CRB.

3 hours ago, Dragonshadow said:

The frustrating thing is I think Genesys will have support (of sorts) once setting books arrive, but I suspect those books will not be supplemental, but rather standalone.  We'll have the Runebound RPG, the Android RPG, the Twilight Imperium RPG, etc.  I suspect they don't want to make a public statement to that effect anytime soon or they'll hurt sales of the CRB.

That is exactly what I want. I don't care for a lot of supplements. I could use some adventures though. 

Interesting. 

I feel pretty differently. I have been having a blast with this book and with these tools. I have written pages of material, I have gotten together with my groups to work things out, we have begun constructing two completely different yet equally exciting settings, and I have read and re-read chapters just starting to get into all that this system can offer. I would be happy with this one book if it was the only Genesys product ever released.

Now don't get me wrong, I do look forward to new supplements. I have no doubt FFG has not gotten the last of my money, and I will be happy to receive new materials which will inevitably show up in the future. 

But for me...I don't need another article, I don't think the system will flounder, and I don't care about the hype. The community is already awesome, the system is great, and GMs already have enough material to last a lifetime.

This is a great time to be a role-player. 

Edited by Schu

If they do a full RPG with all the rules for each of their lines, instead of having one corebook with setting specific rules for each of their lines, I will abandon Genesys as an option all together.

I get that is what they had to do with the Star Wars RPG lines, but it is also why I never bought into them.

I will buy the rules once, sometimes once per format.   I will not buy them once for Genesys, again for Android, again for T.I., again for Arkham (if it happens), etc.

( Not that I'll take it as a personal slight, it is just a model I do not want to support in anyway.  If it is as Dragonshadow fears... FFGs is right to be worried.  I would never have bought the PDF if they are going that way. )

Edited by Manic Modron

1 hour ago, Manic Modron said:

If they do a full RPG with all the rules for each of their lines, instead of having one corebook with setting specific rules for each of their lines, I will abandon Genesys as an option all together.

I get that is what they had to do with the Star Wars RPG lines, but it is also why I never bought into them.

I will buy the rules once, sometimes once per format.   I will not buy them once for Genesys, again for Android, again for T.I., again for Arkham (if it happens), etc.

( Not that I'll take it as a personal slight, it is just a model I do not want to support in anyway.  If it is as Dragonshadow fears... FFGs is right to be worried.  I would never have bought the PDF if they are going that way. )

I would think to them there was a much bigger market for Star Wars, this system must be expected to be smaller. 

Ive said it before but I hope we get two types of books, ones focused on settings with a section on new rules, and the others heavy on rules with no setting attached. I want a Magic book, 120 pages of High magic through to Necromancy and forbidden lore dangerous magic, runes and bardic magic, magic for the tech settings... everything.

After that a Crafting book, a Survival in the wilds book, an urban encounters and subterfuge book, a social intrigue book, and a book on war. Then give us some settings, Terrinoth and Android to start, with additional books of adventures in those settings 

That's exactly what I'm hoping for. Other generic RPGs did it so why not Genesys. It makes sense for a generic system to have rules expansions that can focue solely on a specific part of the rules.

Rules expansions are fine, but my fear is they’ll reprint the generic portions of Genesys in addition to new rules, so much if a new book will seem like padding but will also render the CRB unnecessary for that setting.  Given how skeletal Genesys is, that might be inevitable, to be honest.

Between the CRB, this forum, and my group, I have everything I need to get rolling as long as I’m willing to put in the time building a setting and fleshing out the rules, but that’s not the point of my post.  FFG built something special with Genesys and couldn’t even mention it among the major releases in their end of year Holiday Wishes article, and nobody who’s willing to talk about it has anything to confirm about upcoming products beyond coy teaser statements.

No reason to reprint the CRB in additional rule books.

I do see your (and Manic Modron's) point regarding the setting books (maybe not to such a degree). I just don't have a problem with that, why would I?

The missing PR dind't occur to me as I ignore that stuff anyway. I kind of accidentally came across EotE (on youtube I think?) and liked the narrative dice system. At that time Genesys was already announced and since then I actively followed the development/release. Doesn`'t mean more PR wouldn't be good for the survival of the whole thing, I just don`t know how much difference it really makes for a product that is arguably in a small niche.

20 minutes ago, CitizenKeen said:

Can someone point to anything other than an LCG where they've released a news item that wasn't announcing something in development?

Other than the L5R short fiction and holiday wishes or convention announcements, I can't think of anything.  That's kinda my point though.  If there's no announcement, one could worry there's no development.

2 hours ago, CitizenKeen said:

Can someone point to anything other than an LCG where they've released a news item that wasn't announcing something in development?

They do interviews with world champions, strategy articles for their competitive games like X-wing (usually from those same champions), and an occasional guest writer article.

Yeah, my point exactly. LCGs are a going concern. RPGs, Star Wars not withstanding, are more analogous (I think) to board games.

"We're going to make it" followed by "We're making it" followed by "It's available". I think expecting more articles after it's released is unfounded.

Edited by CitizenKeen

While I appreciate people’s hunger for new Genesys material, I find it funny the 3 weeks feels too long to hear any news. FFG probably hasn’t even gathered its initial sales data. Sure based on its scarcity online we can assume it’s selling well but FFG probably won’t receive retail figures til next year.

FFG Is notoriously conservative with its output. I wouldn’t be surprised if they do it even count the sales of this initial run and instead look to how well the next run sells to determine how much they invest in the line. Remember that this is the company that way underproduced Star Wars Destiny, and failed to meet the obvious demand for an incredibly popular IP. I know there were production issues that contributed to the slow rollout, but they didn’t seem overly concerned with increasing the output. Add to this that the front runner in RPGs is crediting a glacial expansion plan for their unprecedented sales. Anyone who is publishing RPGs would at least be considering a similar strategy.

I’m not endorsing this strategy nor saying I think it’s smart. They pretty much kneecapped Star Wars Destiny with this approach. Perhaps they’ve learned from their mistakes and we’ll see some support material sooner, but I’m not holding my breathe.

If/when they do publish supplements, my wishlists would be for big books of crunch. Bestiaries and volumes of adversaries. I don’t need lore, but rather stats for features/creatures that I can reskin for my purposes. I’m new to the narrative dice system so perhaps I will find these things easy to create on my own, but as I make my way through the book this is what my instincts tell me I’ll need.

So far I like what I’m seeing and hope the system sees lots of support. Hopefully even if FFG abandons Genesys they’ll open it to 3rd party developers where it can live on.

16 hours ago, 2P51 said:

There is stuff in playtesting, patience.

It's not a matter of patience.  I'm not waiting for them to provide anything else before I get started on my campaign, so my level of patience is irrelevant.

My concern is the longevity of the Genesys line, and I feel like they're stumbling with their follow-through communication.  Compare FFG with most other RPG-producing companies.  The level of interaction between those companies and the customers is typically much higher.  That stuff in playtesting would be publicly acknowledged and there would typically be some progress reports, perhaps even giving customers a chance to provide some feedback or ideas. 

The customers would like to feel like they bought into the right system at the ground floor.  Potential customers will be looking for not just a thriving community and current catalog, but explicitly stated upcoming materials and a sense of their scope.  This seems like simple marketing and PR sense to me.

Again, not waiting because I'm already rolling my own.  But that won't make me any less appreciative when expansions and extensions arrive.