TheSapient

Genesys Talents Expanded

On 12/20/2017 at 4:14 PM, Richardbuxton said:

Deflection is obviously Djem So from the Shien Expert, So Reflect is the missing talent 

Hello Richard.

I was thinking that a list of all the Talents you guys compiled, but organized into categories (as well as by Tier) could also prove useful when looking thru them and trying to decide which one to pick for your character. Some other game systems do this (such as Savage Worlds)  and I find this extremely useful.

Categories can be (but not limited to): Combat, Magic, Social, Tech, Vehicular, Miscellaneous, and so forth. And the full description do not have to be included. Just a list of the Talent names under each category (at best a very brief summary of what the talent does.

Just a thought. Thanks for all the great work you have put into this document already.

Hi @Dragonspawn thanks for the message. We have thrown around the idea of grouping the talents a few times, it would certainly make browsing an easier task. Unfortunately we have yet to be able to decide on the right method. Many talents have a broad use, that could be applied in different situations, so coming up with categories is challenging. There’s also been talk of giving every talent a collection of keywords to help players, but a method of sorting would require some kind of database which we have not got the time to develop. Then there’s the possibility of setting specific lists, but again it’s difficult to decide what is appropriate where due to people’s personal preference.

Ultimately we have chosen not to do this yet, and honestly time is the major factor. It would require one person to go through the entire list and categorise it, then at least two more to check and approve their selection, with a discussion about each and every talent that is questionable. We certainly want the document to be as user friendly as possible, so hopefully we can do something about it soon.

Apologies if this doesn't belong here, but I'm working on a talent and don't want to reinvent the wheel if something already exists. I'm looking, but having a hard time finding a talent to mimic Point-Blank Shot from Pathfinder. Any suggestions? Right now I'm thinking about modifying Precise Archery, unless someone has a better idea.

The feat from Pathfinder says, "You are especially accurate when making ranged attacks against close targets. Benefit: You get a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls with ranged weapons at ranges of up to 30 feet."

Purchasing ranks in Ranged already lets you get better at any ranged check so a talent that makes you better at firing at short range seems silly, so instead what I want to do is mitigate the difficulty increase of shooting at an engaged opponent. This is what I'm thinking:

Point-Blank Shot

Tier: 3

Activation: Passive

Ranked: No

When making a Ranged combat check against a target you are engaged with, upgrade the ability of the check once.

I say "upgrade the ability" instead of "downgrade the difficulty" because firing at engaged targets doesn't upgrade, but increases difficulty. This way, the character has a higher chance of success, but the difficulty of their circumstances doesn't magically change. Thoughts?

Fatale

Tier: 2

When injecting sexuality into an encounter, add [boost] to all social checks.

Unto the Breach

Activation: Incidental
Ranjed: No

If you made a social check on your turn, and are not behind cover, increase your ranged defense by 1 until the end of your next turn.

Thoughts?

7 minutes ago, CitizenKeen said:

Fatale

wouldnt this be "Femme Fatale" ?

referencing "Command", "Physical Training" and "Sense Emotion", the bonus dice are ok, but could also be ranked.

referencing "Knows the Ropes", the talent could be worded like this:

Femme Fatale
| Tier:
| Activation: Passive
| Ranked: No

Add [boost] to social checks made during a sexuality injected encounter equal to ranks in Cool.

40 minutes ago, Terefang said:

wouldnt this be "Femme Fatale" ?

referencing "Command", "Physical Training" and "Sense Emotion", the bonus dice are ok, but could also be ranked.

referencing "Knows the Ropes", the talent could be worded like this:

Femme Fatale
| Tier:
| Activation: Passive
| Ranked: No

Add [boost] to social checks made during a sexuality injected encounter equal to ranks in Cool.

No, because a man is called an homme fatale.

I'll look into the comparisons. Thank you - this is my first go at making custom talents.

Edit: Regarding Knows the Ropes, though, I think the likelihood a character is bound is going to be far less likely in a given encounter than the idea they could get flirty with an NPC.

Edited by CitizenKeen
Further thoughts

1 hour ago, CitizenKeen said:

Regarding Knows the Ropes, though, I think the likelihood a character is bound is going to be far less likely in a given encounter than the idea they could get flirty with an NPC.

it is not being bound what compares but the mechanical crossover application.

in "Knows the Ropes" you apply a criminal/knowledge skill as a bonus to the physical action.

in the version i gave, you apply a intuitive/empathy skill as a bonus to a social action.

the skills Seduction/Etiquette/Savoir-Fare would fill in better but arent standard skills in Genesys.

Edited by Terefang

1 minute ago, Terefang said:

it is not being bound what compares but the mechanical crossover application.

in "Knows the Ropes" you apply a criminal/knowledge skill as a bonus to the physical action.

in the version i gave, you apply a intuitive/empathy skill as a bonus to a social action.

I get that. But the value of a bonus (for a given tier) should be equal to the size of the bonus multiplied by the likelihood to occur, yes? "Bonus versus minion groups" is better than "bonus versus Nemesis vampires named Steve", right?

I think making it ranked like you said makes more sense to me.

Forgot my third one. This is a racial human feat, so I don't know if it belongs in this thread, though if it's balanced it should be balanced.

Adaptable

Tier: 3

You must be a Human to take this talent.

Add [boost] to any skill checks in which you have no rank in the skill.

this is almost as good as like a +1 to all skills.

you could name the talent "Jack-of-all-Trades" if it werent a racial talent.

i would limit it to non-combat skills OR non-career skills OR pick a skill category OR pick a set of skills

tier depends ... seams about right, since you probably want a fresh pc to take it

26 minutes ago, Terefang said:

this is almost as good as like a +1 to all skills.

you could name the talent "Jack-of-all-Trades" if it werent a racial talent.

i would limit it to non-combat skills OR non-career skills OR pick a skill category OR pick a set of skills

tier depends ... seams about right, since you probably want a fresh pc to take it

All general skills seems good. Thanks!

5 hours ago, CitizenKeen said:

All general skills seems good. Thanks!

Alternatively give it a Strain cost, then the player has to decide if it’s worth it.

8 hours ago, CitizenKeen said:

Fatale

Unto the Breach

If you made a social check on your turn, and are not behind cover, increase your ranged defense by 1 until the end of your next turn.

Thoughts?

Fatale seems fine, although in that state it could probably be a T1 Talent. Having the number of boosts be equal to ranks in Cool is powerful, probably a T3 Talent, or perhaps not to every social skill but instead only one per encounter.

Unto the Breach is good, I like it a lot.

9 hours ago, CitizenKeen said:

Unto the Breach

if you dont intend to do an improved/supreme version, you should make it ranked too.

22 minutes ago, Richardbuxton said:

Having the number of boosts be equal to ranks in Cool is powerful, probably a T3 Talent,

the expanded talents includes this for comparison:

Knows the Ropes
Tier: 2
Activation: Passive
Ranked: No
Add [boost] to checks made to escape from
restraints equal to ranks in Skullduggery.
Spend [triumph] to free all other allies within short
range.
Source: DOR

There’s a massive difference between:

“checks made to escape from restraints”

and

”all social skill checks using sexuality”

one is something that won’t often come up and when it does the benefit of the talent is simply to make escape easier. The second though could theoretically be used on any social skill check if the player try’s hard enough, and the benefit is to get anything they want from a social encounter. No, I’m sorry, they simply can not be compared in a balanced way.

59 minutes ago, Richardbuxton said:

No, I’m sorry, they simply can not be compared in a balanced way.

since its already going to be ranked instead ....

Edited by Terefang