TheSapient

Genesys Talents Expanded

So I've been thinking about Congenial and Intimidating as talents. For reference, here's Congenial (Intimidating works the same way but with Coercion):

Tier: 3

Activation: Active (Incidental)

Ranked: Yes

May suffer a number of strain to downgrade difficulty of Charm or Negotiation checks or upgrade difficulty when target by Charm or Negotiation checks, by an equal number Strain suffered this way cannot exceed ranks in Congenial.

So while this is not bad necessarily, with the way social encounters work in Genesys, they come up being somewhat subpar. Because the talent burns strain to activate, and strain is the primary target in social encounters, I feel that it is a somewhat self-defeating talent. While there is a potential argument in the risk/reward of the talent, I don't feel it is all that valuable.

So here is my proposed fix/replacement for these talents.

Way with Words

Activation: Out-of-turn

When your character acquires this talent, select one social skill. Once per encounter when your character makes a check with that skill, they may downgrade the difficulty of the check a number of times equal to their ranks in Way with Words. Alternatively, once per encounter when your character is targeted by a check with the chosen skill, they may upgrade the difficulty of the check a number of times equal to their ranks in Way with Words.

3 hours ago, Richardbuxton said:

That sounds good, I feel it could almost be a Tier 2 with the once per encounter restriction and the Ranked. It’s not the kind of talent someone will realistically take at tier 4 for one extra upgrade/downgrade, so t2 means they will actually get 2 ranks

It could be switched to a Story Point cost instead of once-per-encounter. That could justify t3.

One rank would be no better than a normal Story Point though, it would need to be better, and perhaps you would take away the Ranked thing then. Or ranks add another Skill. So perhaps it’s a flat 2 or 3 Upgrades/downgrades, with the potential of using it with multiple skills 

33 minutes ago, Richardbuxton said:

One rank would be no better than a normal Story Point though, it would need to be better, and perhaps you would take away the Ranked thing then. Or ranks add another Skill. So perhaps it’s a flat 2 or 3 Upgrades/downgrades, with the potential of using it with multiple skills 

Ah, that's true. I think keeping it 1/encounter is fine. Perhaps an Improved and Supreme version. Improved version allows you to choose a second skill. Supreme version allows it to be used twice per encounter.

Got a few talents that might be worth adding to homebrew talents list.

Talents

Tier 1:
Panic
Activation: Active - Incidental, out of turn
When making a Discipline check to resist fear or coercion, may suffer an amount of strain to add an equal amount of success and threat to the check. Strain suffered this way cannot exceed ranks in panic.

Tier 2:

Precise Strikes

Activation: Incidental

When you roll a Critical Injury on an opponent, you may suffer 2 strain to increase or decrease the result by an amount up to five times your ranks in Precise strikes.

Distracting Behavior
Activation: Active - Maneuver
Ranked: No
As a maneuver, target a number of characters within short range up to an amount equal to your cunning and suffer an equal amount of strain. Until the end of your next turn, those characters add a failure and a threat to perception checks and willpower based checks.

Tier 3:
Counterspell
Activation: Active - Incidental, out of turn
Your character must be able to cast Dispel to benefit from this talent. When a spell is successfully cast within medium range of you, you may spend a story point to cast Dispel at a difficulty equal to the target spell. If this check is successful, the targeted spell fails.

Weaponmaster
Activation: Passive
Ranked No
Ignore the inferior and inaccurate qualities of weapons you wield, and reduce the cumbersome and unwieldy qualities of weapons you wield by one.

Rend

When your character inflicts a Critical Injury on an adversary, you may suffer 3 strain to reduce that adversary's soak by 1 until the Critical Injury is healed.

Tier 4:
Improved Deceptive Taunt
Your character must have purchased the Deceptive Taunt talent to benefit from this talent. During the affected character's next turn, they add two threat to combat checks made against your character.

Improved Multiple Opponents:
Activation: passive
Ranked: no
Your character must have purchased the multiples opponents talent to benefit from this talent. While engaged with three or more opponents, upgrade the difficulty of combat checks targeting your character once.

Tier 5:

Bleed:

Once per encounter, when your character inflicts a Critical Injury on an adversary, you may activate this talent to have that adversary suffer wounds equal to the severity of the critical injury at the end of their turns until the end of the encounter.

bug:

Sneak Attack(Improved) and (supreme). says you need to take sneak attack. That is listed as deprecated in the classic talent list and not at all in the graphical version. these should be deprecated as well or reworded to reference the talent it was replaced by. guessing that is backstab but not sure.

Request: as talents are replaced like this can we list the talent it deprecated for. this is handled in the change logs it seems.

also, thank you for the work on this. 

Edited by adairhammer

I was wondering, what Criteria were you using to determine which Star Wars Talents got inclued, and which got discarded?

For example... Conditioned was not included, but I cannot fathom why not.... may I ask your reasoning behind this? (Its not the only one, just the first that jumped out at me)

35 minutes ago, RebelDave said:

I was wondering, what Criteria were you using to determine which Star Wars Talents got inclued, and which got discarded?

For example... Conditioned was not included, but I cannot fathom why not.... may I ask your reasoning behind this? (Its not the only one, just the first that jumped out at me)

Talents that are covered by another preexisting talent primarily. Conditioned, specifically, is covered by Knack for It, though the second half inspired Catfall.

6 minutes ago, Swordbreaker said:

Talents that are covered by another preexisting talent primarily. Conditioned, specifically, is covered by Knack for It, though the second half inspired Catfall.

Could you elaborate on that please?

EDIT: Specifically, Knack For It.. where is that from?

Ahh.. Never mind, being dim and not looking at the right book.... I see what you mean now

Edited by RebelDave

31 minutes ago, RebelDave said:

Could you elaborate on that please?

EDIT: Specifically, Knack For It.. where is that from?

Ahh.. Never mind, being dim and not looking at the right book.... I see what you mean now

Yeah, our first run was primarily spent realizing how much they rolled up in single talents like Knack for it and then modeling that philosophy for the rest

Just now, ESP77 said:

Yeah, our first run was primarily spent realizing how much they rolled up in single talents like Knack for it and then modeling that philosophy for the rest

Yeah, after realising I wasnt looking at the right book, I can see what you have done...

Prioritised that which appears in Genesys, over that which appeared in Star Wars... and scrapped that which was 'overwritten' by Genesys,... explaining why I couldnt see any reason why Conditioned wasnt in the list, since it was effectivly under a different name.

Just me being dim, as usual.

I'm working on a project and came up with, or converted from Star Wars, a bunch of wilderness-based, druidy talents. Oh, and one oddball caster talent.

Beast Whisperer
Tier:
The character grants [BOOST DIE] per rank of Beast Whisperer to any tasks he directs an animal to perform.

Beast Whisperer (Improved)
Your character must have purchased the Beast Whisperer talent to benefit from this talent. When the character directs an animal to assist any character with a check, that animal provides an additional [BOOST DIE] to the check for which it is assisting.

Beast Whisperer (Supreme)
Tier: 4
Activation: Active (Maneuver)
Your character must have purchased the Beast Whisperer talent to benefit from this talent. Once per encounter, the character may perform the Beast Whisperer maneuver, choosing one skill. Until the beginning of his next turn, a number of non-minion animals up to his ranks in Beast Whisperer may use the character’s ranks in the chosen skill rather than their own ranks in that skill. The chosen skill must be one that it is reasonable for a creature with animal intelligence and body parts to use.

Beloved Companion
Tier: 2
Choose one animal with a silhouette of 3 or lower that your character cares for or has befriended. This animal is your character's "Beloved Companion." Upgrade the ability of all checks made to care for the animal once. If the animal is ever lost or killed, the character may apply Beloved Companion to a new animal that meets the requirements. The process of befriending the new animal may take some time at the GM’s discretion. No two characters can have the same animal as their Beloved Companion.

Beloved Companion (Improved)
Your character must have purchased the Beloved Companion talent to benefit from this talent. When mounted on his Beloved Companion, the character recovers one additional strain whenever he recovers strain and may spend [ADVANTAGE] on checks made to recover strain to allow an ally also mounted on the animal to recover one strain.

Beloved Companion (Supreme)
Tier: 5
Your character must have purchased the Beloved Companion talent to benefit from this talent. While mounted on his Beloved Companion, once per session the character may reduce this animal’s silhouette by two (to a minimum of 0) for the remainder of the round and the following round. This lowered silhouette is used only for purposes of combat; it does not physically reduce the size of the animal.

Impenetrable Hide
Your character must have purchased the Beloved Companion talent to benefit from this talent. The character increases the soak value of his Beloved Companion by 1 per rank of Impenetrable Hide.

Improved Counterspell
When using the Counterspell maneuver, your character affects all targets within long range.

It’s Okay, You’re Okay!
Activation: Active (Incidental, Out of Turn)
Your character must have purchased the Beloved Companion talent to benefit from this talent. Once per session, if the character’s Beloved Companion would be killed, the character may spend a Story Point to save it. If it would be killed by a Critical Injury, the Critical Injury is still suffered, but the effect is ignored. If it would be killed by some other event, the details of how the animal survives the near-death are up to the player and the GM.

Trained for War
Your character must have purchased the Beloved Companion talent to benefit from this talent. Each rank of Trained for War increases your Beloved Companion’s wound threshold by two.

Wildshape
Activation: Active (Action)
Your character must be able to cast Primal spells to benefit from this talent. Once per encounter, your character may spend a Story Point to transform into a wild beast until the end of the encounter or until they are incapacitated. They undergo the following changes: their wound threshold increases by a number equal to their Cunning characteristic, their Brawn and Agility increase by one to a maximum of 5, and they deal +1 damage when making unarmed attacks. Their unarmed attacks have a Critical rating of 3. While in beast form, they cannot cast spells or use ranged attacks, though they may maintain spells they had previously cast.

Wildshape (Improved)
Your character must have purchased the Wildshape talent to benefit from this talent. Your character may use the Wildshape talent to transform as an incidental, or out of turn incidental, instead of an action.

Wildshape (Supreme)
Tier: 5
Your character must have purchased the Wildshape talent to benefit from this talent. Once per session, while the character is using Wildshape to assume beast form, the character may cast a spell.

I was just looking through the talent list, and there seems to be a typo in "Animal Expertise"

Animal Expertise
Add per rank of Hunter to all checks when interacting
with beast or animals (including combat checks).
Add +10 to Critical Injury results against beasts or
animals per rank of Hunter.

Couldn't see if this had been pointed out anywhere already.

3 minutes ago, RagingJim said:

I was just looking through the talent list, and there seems to be a typo in "Animal Expertise"

Animal Expertise

Amusing. The talent that does the exact same thing in the Star Wars games is called "Hunter," so this is likely just a copy/paste error. At least "Animal Expertise" sounds better for what it actually does, because it was weird that something called "Hunter" made you better at veterinary medicine, riding mounts, and training service animals.

4 hours ago, RagingJim said:

Animal Expertise

4 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

Amusing. The talent that does the exact same thing in the Star Wars games is called "Hunter," so this is likely just a copy/paste error. At least "Animal Expertise" sounds better for what it actually does, because it was weird that something called "Hunter" made you better at veterinary medicine, riding mounts, and training service animals.

This is because it was Hunter from SWRPG, but RoT released a talent named Hunter that works differently. The title was changed, but it looks like an editing failure.

35 minutes ago, ESP77 said:

It’s curious that the Android pregen Mila has Body Guard listed as a tier 2 talent when RoT has it at 3.  I wonder if it’s a typo or will different settings use different tiers?

I would think different tiers for different settings was almost assured.

Ultimately, yes. But in the end I can see it needing to be split up anyway. Searching through it now is a big task, more talents will just make it worse.

I can imagine a time where there is a “Compiled Terrinoth Talents” PDF, that is everything official from the core book and RoT that suits Fantasy, then an unofficial section at the end for thematically fitting unofficial talents.

Then another document that’s “Compiled Android Talents” that’s just the same, but for the Android setting.

Finally there would be a third document that’s all the unofficial and converted Star Wars stuff compiled into one place.