TheSapient

Genesys Talents Expanded

Completely Unrelated, but I was editing the list for my home fantasy game, and realized a small error with fine tuning. It looks like they attempted to update the wording to be more clear in the AOR beta Update. 

"Whenever a character repairs system strain on a starship or vehicle, he repairs one additional system strain per rank of Fine Tuning.”

as opposed to when reducing the amount of system strain suffered. 

4 hours ago, TheSapient said:

Thanks.  That is an improvement.  And thanks for letting us know you are using the list!

Np... it's Bad ***. Since you know more about it, can you possibly answer a few questions? 

1. Why was brace excluded? (i'm using the spreadsheet and can't find it at all) 

2 For "Form on Me" Close isn't a vehicle range band anymore. So it's probably either engaged or short. (I guess this is less of a question than another edit. Sorry :D

We felt that FFG was trying to cover all the Setback removal talents with the Knack For It talent.  Brace, like many of these, is not perfectly covered by Knack For It, of course.  And the GCRB has Forager, which makes a good argument for including Brace.

Edit are always welcome.  

Edited by TheSapient

On 1/8/2018 at 11:12 AM, Morridini said:

Apparently Side Step should be a maneuver and not an action, should this list be updated to correct this, or wait for an official errata first?

Hey @TheSapient, just wanted to make sure this comment of mine wasn't missed in the pile of other posts, any thoughts on this?

4 hours ago, Flyer777 said:

So I love the spreadsheet, can you tell me how you use the export tab?

....maybe?  Here is what I was doing.  I would copy and paste the list of talents on that page into word (the reference field is just for organization, so don't grab that).  I don't have anything handy right now, but I think you can click on the top of the table in Word, go to something like Design or Layout and click on Table to Text.  Then you can use find and replace to change all the code-things in brackets to genesys symbols.  It takes me about 5 minutes to do that, but everything is set up for my brain, so results may vary....

Edited by TheSapient

15 hours ago, TheSapient said:

things to Genesys symbols.  It takes me about 5 minutes to do that, but it is all set up based on my brain.

If you or anyone else is interested, I have a rudimentary Word macro that is my initial attempt to replace all the place holders such as  [SE] [BO] etc at once with appropriate characters and  predefined character styles. It appears to function correctly but  I cant test it fully because I have Word at work but cant install fonts and I dont use Word at home (Open Office and indesign). It is designed to use arrays to keep the code small. It probably needs a little more basic code refinement. I also have a support text file for Indesign's FindChangeByList script and a "replace all" macro for OpenOffice.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Edited by lyinggod

32 minutes ago, TheSapient said:

Thanks.  We did notice that one.  One of us feels strongly about correcting FFG's language on "Quickdraw".

My copy of Fly Casual has it written correctly, so I believe it's a byproduct of OggDude's character generator, if I'm correct in thinking you initially copied the talents off of that.

5 minutes ago, Swordbreaker said:

My copy of Fly Casual has it written correctly, so I believe it's a byproduct of OggDude's character generator, if I'm correct in thinking you initially copied the talents off of that.

That would explain it.  

Anyway, new version will hopefully be released soon-ish.  

VERSION 3.0 is now available.

brought to you by TheSapient, ESP77, Swordbreaker, and Richardbuxton.

Including new talents from both FFG and forum members, as well as fixes and corrections.

Version 3.0 (PDF) is Here

To make small changes for your campaign, you will want THIS WORD FILE.

You need it in spreadsheet form?  HERE IT IS IN EXCEL.

You will need to download and install these TTF Genesys Fonts, which were posted HERE.  

Changelog from Version 1.0 is HERE.

Thanks again to the team for their efforts, and to the many members of this community who shared their ideas with us.

Small update with a handful of minor corrections and the addition of two custom talents.

Version 3.1 (PDF) is Here

But maybe you want to make some changes.  You can do so in THIS WORD FILE!

You need it in spreadsheet form?  HERE IT IS IN EXCEL!

You really will need to download and install these TTF Genesys Fonts, which were posted HERE.  

Changelog from Version 1.0 is HERE.

Edited by TheSapient

Does anyone else think that "Valuable Facts" is a bit OP for once per encounter? I know its a Tier 3, but once per encounter get a free Triumph seems a bit powerful...

Also I noticed a Talent missing if maybe anyone wanted to add it. I've seen a great many people talk about it though... It reads:

Martial Artist:

Tier 3; Passive; Ranked? Yes

Your unarmed strikes deal +1 Damage per rank of Martial Artist. In addition, reduce the critical rating of your unarmed strikes by 1 (to a minimum of 1) per rank of Martial Artist. You may use the Agility attribute instead of the Brawn attribute for your unarmed strikes.

Y'know, for those Monk characters....

Edited by Zalakoth

Of those two, Martial Artist seems more OP than Valuable Facts. My preference for a monk-like character would be to follow the precedent of EOTE's Martial Artist spec, with Precision Strike and its improved versions giving the martial artist the ability to crit strategically. But if I were to adopt this talent, I'd separate the three aspects (more damage, lower crit rating, use Agility) into three separate talents.

17 hours ago, Zalakoth said:

Does anyone else think that "Valuable Facts" is a bit OP for once per encounter? I know its a Tier 3, but once per encounter get a free Triumph seems a bit powerful...

Also I noticed a Talent missing if maybe anyone wanted to add it. I've seen a great many people talk about it though... It reads:

Martial Artist:

Tier 3; Passive; Ranked? Yes

Your unarmed strikes deal +1 Damage per rank of Martial Artist. In addition, reduce the critical rating of your unarmed strikes by 1 (to a minimum of 1) per rank of Martial Artist. You may use the Agility attribute instead of the Brawn attribute for your unarmed strikes.

Y'know, for those Monk characters....

We currently have a Tier 2 talent, Finesse, that allows Agility for Melee (Light) and Brawl attacks.  I agree with @SavageBob that Martial Artist has a lot of benefit for a Tier 3 ability.  Splitting up the facets of it removes the prepackaged-character feel as well, IMO.  

46 minutes ago, Swordbreaker said:

I think I will tackle analyzing each of the Force talents from Star Wars, posting it here, and maybe we can see if they can be translated into usable talents. Some are included already, but maybe we can squeeze some more blood from this stone.

I kind of started doing something similar for my Morrow Project conversion, trying to turn them into Psychic powers. I didn't get too far, but I did do an Increased Range (Ranked) and Increased Magnitude (Ranked) Talent starting at rank 2, same as the Powers themselves. 

So, I'm definitely interested in seeing your take, and helping as I can. :)