TheSapient

Genesys Talents Expanded

Couple questions... Couldn't find any answers in a search of this thread...

Why does Feral Strength start as a Tier 3 Talent rather than Tier 1?  In SW, the Marauder can take it right away for 5 xp

Similarly, Iron Body was a 5 xp Talent for the Martial Artist and is also listed as a Tier 3 Talent.

Why didn't Precision Strike, and its upgrades, make it into the document?  Found in the Martial Artist from No Disintegrations.

15 hours ago, Tygaran said:

Why does Feral Strength start as a Tier 3 Talent rather than Tier 1?  In SW, the Marauder can take it right away for 5 xp

Similarly, Iron Body was a 5 xp Talent for the Martial Artist and is also listed as a Tier 3 Talent.

Why didn't Precision Strike, and its upgrades, make it into the document?  Found in the Martial Artist from No Disintegrations.

If you ask me, in SW such talents were additionally restricted by whether or not you own those specific talent trees. If everyone has access to those talents, a flat +1 damage bonus would be an absolute no-brainer as a Tier 1 talent, and thus too strong for that tier.

16 hours ago, Tygaran said:

15 minutes ago, Klort said:

If you ask me, in SW such talents were additionally restricted by whether or not you own those specific talent trees. If everyone has access to those talents, a flat +1 damage bonus would be an absolute no-brainer as a Tier 1 talent, and thus too strong for that tier.

@Klort is correct. Talents were tiered based not on how cheap they were in Star Wars, but their effect and how they interact with the talent pyramid structure.

As for Precision Strike, it was not included early on (before I began contributing), and I don't know off hand why it hasn't.

Noticed these two talents with the same effects, but different activation costs.

Conduit (RoT) allows the caster to spend a story point to cast a spell as a manoeuvre.

Quickened spell (CCC - ESP77) allows the caster to spend 2 strain to cast a spell as a manoeuvre.

3 minutes ago, Richardbuxton said:

One is official, one is an alternative for a higher magic setting, or st least a different magic setting

Fair enough. Was just making sure it wasn't overlooked.

I have made a few talents of my own for my little game that I have going on, was wondering if you all would like to look over them for me please :)

Active Counter Spell
Tier: 3
Activation: Active (Out of turn incidental)
Ranked: Yes
Once per turn when a spell is cast within medium range, the character can increase the difficulty of the spell by one per rank in Active Counter Spell. They must spend 2 strain for each added difficulty. Requires knowledge (magic type).
OR
Upgrades the difficulty when using the counter spell manoeuvre by the number of ranks in "Active Counter Spell".

Concentrated Spell
Tier: 4
Activation: Active
Ranked: No
Adds the ability for the spells which otherwise don't have concentration to remain in effect, increases the difficulty of the spell by 1. After a spell is cast, it gains the concentration effect. The following rounds after the spell has been cast allows the effect to be repeated with a successful spell check (of the same difficulty). This does not cost the usual strain to cast the spell. Requires the use of the concentration manoeuvre.

Ritual Caster
Tier: 2
Caster can now cast spells as a ritual. Rituals take one hour per rank of difficulty to cast. Decrease the difficulty of the spells by one per rank of "Ritual Caster" to a minimum of 1. Costs double the strain to cast.

Ritual Caster (improved)
Activation: Passive
Ritual spells can now be cast with multiple casters (all of whom require the Ritual Caster (Improved) talent. For each additional caster, reduce the time required to cast the spell by one hour, to a minimum of one hour. Costs double the strain to cast.

Wild surge
Activation: Active (Manoeuvre)
Once per encounter, your character may use this talent. Until the end of the encounter or until they are incapacitated, your character adds 1 success and 2 advantage to all magic combat checks they make.

However, opponents add 1 success to all combat checks targeting your character. While Wild Surging, your character cannot cast spells requiring concentration. Each time your characters casts a spell whilst this talent is active, they must spend an extra strain to do so.

Thanks all. 

5 hours ago, RagingJim said:

Active Counter Spell
Tier: 3
Activation: Active (Out of turn incidental)
Once per turn when a spell is cast within medium range, the character can increase the difficulty of the spell by one per rank in Active Counter Spell. They must spend 2 strain for each added difficulty. Requires knowledge (magic type).
OR
Upgrades the difficulty when using the counter spell manoeuvre by the number of ranks in "Active Counter Spell".

Once per turn when using the counter spell manoeuvre, the character may upgrade the difficulty of one spell being cast 
within medium range by the number of ranks in "Active Counter Spell".

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, RagingJim said:

Concentrated Spell
Adds the ability for the spells which otherwise don't have concentration to remain in effect, increases the difficulty of the spell by 1. After a spell is cast, it gains the concentration effect. The following rounds after the spell has been cast allows the effect to be repeated with a successful spell check (of the same difficulty). This does not cost the usual strain to cast the spell. Requires the use of the concentration manoeuvre.

hmm ... i would tag that rather "high magick" because it foregoes the rule that each spell cast requires 2 strain ... and making all combat spells effectively "Damage over Time".

Me in the role a a GM would not allow the talent as written.

• Try to limit the talent to one spell (effect) only.
  • Try to require the spell to be a "Signature Spell"
  • Try to change the Zero Strain cost to at least 1 Strain per round to cap power creep.
  • Add additional caps like once per encounter/session/day
  • Increase to Tier 5
Edited by Terefang

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Richardbuxton said:

There’s already the Burn effect for damage over time.

"Fire[+1]: The attack gains the Burn quality with a rating equal to your character's ranks in Knowledge."

but how does Burn apply to non-combat spells ? (this talent also tries to cover)

Edited by Terefang

31 minutes ago, Terefang said:

Once per turn when using the counter spell manoeuvre, the character may upgrade the difficulty of one spell being cast 
within medium range by the number of ranks in "Active Counter Spell".

Alternatively:

“When you perform the counterspell manoeuvre you may suffer 2 Strain to upgrade any enemy checks an additional number of times equal to ranks in Active Counter Spell”

1 minute ago, Richardbuxton said:

Alternatively:

“When you perform the counterspell manoeuvre you may suffer 2 Strain to upgrade any enemy checks an additional number of times equal to ranks in Active Counter Spell”

removing the medium range limitation, you have my favors.

3 minutes ago, Terefang said:

"Fire[+1]: The attack gains the Burn quality with a rating equal to your character's ranks in Knowledge."

but how does Burn apply to non-combat spells ? (this talent also tries to cover)

True, with Heal cast on yourself you can perform an average difficulty skill check every round as a manoeuvre to heal wounds and strain... that’s better than the Heroic Ability Miraculous Recovery. Truely a broken talent if ever there was one.

Posted (edited)
On 8/12/2018 at 2:26 PM, Tygaran said:

To the precision strike question, I believe it was due to the t4 talent Deadeye that does something very similar.  However that was 8 months ago so 🤷🏻‍♂️

Others touched on the rest.  I personally pay no attention to the tier from the talent tree.  My votes are based on the criteria set forth in the Genesys CRB for setting tiers.

17 hours ago, RagingJim said:

Noticed these two talents with the same effects, but different activation costs.

Conduit (RoT) allows the caster to spend a story point to cast a spell as a manoeuvre.

Quickened spell (CCC - ESP77) allows the caster to spend 2 strain to cast a spell as a manoeuvre.

My version came out before Terrinoth and since they have different triggers we kept both.

Edited by ESP77
Spelling

12 hours ago, Richardbuxton said:

True, with Heal cast on yourself you can perform an average difficulty skill check every round as a manoeuvre to heal wounds and strain... that’s better than the Heroic Ability Miraculous Recovery. Truely a broken talent if ever there was one.

Yeah ok. True.

I am trying to figure out how to do things like "Flaming Sphere" from DnD, andlike a healing stream the Mercy in Overwatch uses. How would you (guys) suggest this?

Thanks to everyone on the input :)

Flaming Sphere sounds a lot more like the Conjure Spell with Medium Summon and Summon Ally additional effects. It’s an object that causes damage to nearby beings and you can direct it on your turn Move and Attack an enemy.

It is simplest to imagine it as a melee weapon you can use at range. It would  have a damage rating equal to your ranks in Knowledge + the number of uncanceled Success on the check to summon it, with No Crit Rating. For it to hit a target would require a skill check using your Intellect and Melee skill against an Average Difficulty (Engaged Range Attack) with the usual combat modifiers. As an added bonus anyone (including allies) who ends their turn engaged with it suffers damage equal to your ranks in Knowledge.

therefore I would create this talent:

Directed Summon:

Tier 3, Unranked, Active(Incidental)

Effect: Once per turn, when you perform the Concentrate manoeuvre to maintain a Conjure Spell with the Summon Ally effect, you may perform the Direct Manoeuvre as an Incidental. 

It has the added bonus bonus of working for druids too.

Posted (edited)

Thanks, @Richardbuxton

Next question, say I cast a "web" spell (conjure spell with the "ensnare" effect) in a hallway that can ensnare people as they run into it. Do I just use my initial roll? Say I get only enough advantages to trigger ensnare once, but over the space of 15 minutes 100 people run over the icy patch.

How could we rule this? Make every person that enters the area make a hard athletics check? Or re-roll the spell casting check each time to see if you trigger "ensnare" on them?

EDIT: My thoughts on this are when the spell is initially cast there have to be enough advantages rolled to trigger the effect, and then each time someone runs into it they make the hard athletics check.

Edited by RagingJim

Presumably the 4th or 5th person would stop before crossing the web and therefore the other 95 would turn around and find another way. So the absolute simplest mechanic is to describe it as conjuring a wall that is impassable terrain. For a lesser obstacle (and thus easier difficulty) the area could become difficult terrain, slowing all who want to follow you.

But if you really want a trap then your description is probably the simplest method. Athletics, Coordination, or Vigilance, would all be acceptable skills to avoid such a trap. The difficulty to avoid it could either be the same as the difficulty of the spell you cast (Grand summon should have its uses!) or equal to your Knowledge skill.

Now one problem I can see for this in the basic rules is how do you maintain it? I have always assumed that to Concentrate on a Spell you needed to remain within range, and even keep visual. Now it’s simple to change that for your setting, otherwise you can make a talent to let it be done sometimes, for example tying off a weave in the wheel of time series:

Tie Weave

Tier: 4, Unranked, Action.

Whilst a Spell is being maintained with the Concentrate manoeuvre you may perform a Hard Difficulty Magic Skill Check using the same skill used to cast the spell originally. If successful the spell will remain in effect without the concentrate manoeuvre for a number of rounds or minutes equal to your ranks in Knowledge. Spend 3 Advantage to change it to hours instead.

alternatively you could have this

Distant Spell 

Tier 3. Ranked. Active  Incidental.

Effect: When casting a spell that can be maintained with the concentrate manoeuvre you may spend a Story Point to be able to maintain the spell no matter the distance from you to it, you must still perform the concentrate manoeuvre each round to do so. You may maintain a number of spells in this way equal to ranks in this talent.

18 hours ago, RagingJim said:

Next question, say I cast a "web" spell (conjure spell with the "ensnare" effect) in a hallway that can ensnare people as they run into it. Do I just use my initial roll? Say I get only enough advantages to trigger ensnare once, but over the space of 15 minutes 100 people run over the icy patch.

How could we rule this? Make every person that enters the area make a hard athletics check? Or re-roll the spell casting check each time to see if you trigger "ensnare" on them?

hmm ... an alternative would be a area-based curse with paralyze effect ... LOL

and talents from above could apply anyway

Been thinking about another talent.

Brace for Charge

Activation: Active (manoeuvre)
When wielding an applicable piercing weapon, can as a manoeuvre set the weapon to receive a charge of an adversary that moves into engaged range with you. Deals damage equal to their silhouette size plus the weapon's base damage.

Posted (edited)

Signature Spell (Supreme)

Tier: 5

Activation: Passive

Your character must have purchased the Signature Spell (Improved) talent to benefit from this talent. In addition, when your character casts their Signature Spell that can be sustained, it lasts until the end of the current encounter without your character having to use the Concentration Maneuver. You may end the spell at will.

Edited by Armoks

Posted (edited)

Nice. I always pegged that effect as an offshoot type of talent, in the same way that bulwark and block are offshoots of Parry. Call it Maintained Spell and pop it at T4 

personally I liked this for Supreme:

After successfully casting your signature spell you may activate an additional effect as if you had rolled AA on the check, this is in addition to any other effects you activate with Advantage or Triumph that you rolled, and irrespective of any Threat.

the idea is that no matter what you always have a well cast spell even when things go awry 

Edited by Richardbuxton