Crit Happens

Errata'd Genius: Bomblet vs. Protons (or any other reveal bomb)

Is there a difference between dropping these after the maneuver? 

With Bomblet generator, you are now paying the extra cost of discarding the card (or EM token) if you drop using genius. 

If you drop a Proton bomb using genius, are you discarding it twice? Once for actually using the bomb, and once for using genius? Or am I over thinking this? Or are you still just discarding once? 

You only discard it once. You're not actually using the bomb as such with Genius anymore; he discards it for his own effect now, so the bomb's text never gets used (until it detonates, of course).

I'm not saying there has to be, just curious. 

Two other local players were in a disagreement last night about this, and they asked me for an opinion. I immediately said it only discards once (I actually thought they were discussing Bomblet), but the more I thought about it afterwards, the more it bugged me. I know it's probably a case of "trust your instincts", but that's not a very good explanation ?

Proton bomb and genius. 

This person was wondering why you would ignore the text of proton bomb when you are dropping a proton bomb. 

But it sounds like this would be an appropriate explanation:

The "proton bomb card" gives you instructions for how to drop a "proton bomb token" prior to executing a maneuver. The "genius card" gives you instructions on how to drop any bomb token after executing a maneuver.  The instructions on the "proton bomb card" is not actually needed while using genius because it is occurring after the maneuver. 

(Dropping a particular bomb token is not necessarily related to it's corresponding card) 

@thespaceinvader, the snarky responses of "read the card and do what it says" aren't ever actually helpful. People come to this forum when they struggle with particular wording, and interactions between cards. I'm sure you weren't trying to be snarky and unhelpful, because why would you waste your time doing that? It's probably easier and more efficient to actually give a step by step explanation. 

Anyways, thank you for your help. I got there eventually!

On 20/12/2017 at 11:50 PM, Crit Happens said:

@thespaceinvader, the snarky responses of "read the card and do what it says" aren't ever actually helpful.

Actually, it is. You may not appreciate it, but one of the most salient points about rules explanations is to hold someone's feet to the fire and ask why they are doing the thing they are doing. From this exchange, I assume that you don't know how many rules questions are the result of assumptions that are not obvious within the text of a conversation. Such assumptions need to be exposed for complete clarity. Spacy's approach was correct in this case.

Also, it wasn't snarky. If you see it that way, then I'm afraid the error is in your emotional response. 

On 12/22/2017 at 1:40 AM, InquisitorM said:

From this exchange, I assume that you don't know how many rules questions are the result of assumptions that are not obvious within the text of a conversation. Such assumptions need to be exposed for complete clarity.

Also, it wasn't snarky. If you see it that way, then I'm afraid the error is in your emotional response. 

You're right that many questions could be answered with a re-read but you also explained why people ask questions so when someone is having trouble wouldnt it be helpful to explain the process and expose the assuptions u talk about?

I have to help my customers all the time and feel many issues would avoided if they would even read the instructions.   So when people ask me for help, even if i dont understand how they could even misunderstand something that is appenetly obvious, i walk them thru it.   

So to add to value to the question also see FAQ pg23 2nd from bottom.  You cant drop more than one bomb per round.

22 hours ago, DataCrypt said:

So when people ask me for help, even if i dont understand how they could even misunderstand something that is appenetly obvious, i walk them thru it.

Sure, but there's a difference between 'Do X' and 'Don't do Y'. You can do Y and still get the point across so long as you do X as well.

The fact is that walking them through it doesn't always correct the issue, which will just reappear for the next similar issue. Like most matters of human interaction, it takes all sorts. Adding in a limited fashion doesn't undermine what you're adding.