Sign in to follow this  
Ronu

Which TIE do you take?

So we’ve had lots of time to fly these two ships, the TIE Intercepter and the TIE F/O. So I wanted to compare them and see what you take and why. 

You might ask why I compare the /IN with the F/O and not the /LN. Simple the F/O is just far superior and flies in a more similar fashion to the /IN than the classic/LN. 

Now I’m leaving the Aces out and just looking at the basic Chassis. The Aces skills are so varied they can change thoughts easily based on what you want to take advantage of.

TIE IN, dial wise has hard turn 1’s. A full green compliment of speed 2’s, a full set of 3’s with a green 3 straight  and even a 3K turn. It’s 4 straight  is green with a 5 straight and 5K.

TIE F/O dial: hard 1 turns. A full compliment of green speed 2’s, and 2 sloops. Full set of 3’s the straight is green. With a 4 and 5 straight with a 4K turn.

So really similar here they can both excel in a tight turning fight and shred some stress without issues. So Chassis and action over views.

IN: 3/3/3/0 Focus, Evade, Barrel Roll, and Boost. No upgrades just drop and go. 18 points

FO: 2/3/3/1 Focus, Evade, Barrel Roll and Target Lock. Also the interesting Tech slot for an upgrade. 15 points.

IN pro’s, the extra damage output and increased reposting and the ability to take autos thrusters can really make this ship a handful in the hands of a skilled player. Cons, at just 3 Hit points they can be glass, and other than a focus no way to mod those attacks, unless you give up those auto thrusters to add that targeting computer.

FO pros they have a shield making them far more sturdy. The tech slot upgrade which keeps getting better with each release of ships from that era is a versatile compliment. The sloops give them wild reposition effects as well. Cons only a barrel roll to reposition with, susceptible to the dreaded TLT. Two dice attacks can feel woefully inferior when trying to push damage through.

so it’s laid out which do you take? 

The base chassis, no upgrades, I'll take the /fo anyday for their better cost efficiency, plus at low PS I think they stand a better chance. Their better "sturdiness" is really only shown by the chassis, though; a TIE Interceptor will almost always have Autothrusters, will will increase their survivability. TIE Interceptors also have a higher attack value which is definitely something to take into consideration.

I really enjoy the /fo chassis. It's certainly superior to the TIE/LN, certainly more comparable to the TIE/in. I might even venture to, as an aside, occasionally favor the TIE/fo over the Interceptor. I feel that the TIE/fo pilots in the middling PS range are better then their Interceptor equivalents. But we see 3 Interceptor pilots in popularity, while really only Omega Leader represents the First Order TIE much at all. At the end of the day, it's kind of a toss up. 

45 minutes ago, Praetorate of the Empire said:

The base chassis, no upgrades, I'll take the /fo anyday for their better cost efficiency, plus at low PS I think they stand a better chance. Their better "sturdiness" is really only shown by the chassis, though; a TIE Interceptor will almost always have Autothrusters, will will increase their survivability. TIE Interceptors also have a higher attack value which is definitely something to take into consideration.

I really enjoy the /fo chassis. It's certainly superior to the TIE/LN, certainly more comparable to the TIE/in. I might even venture to, as an aside, occasionally favor the TIE/fo over the Interceptor. I feel that the TIE/fo pilots in the middling PS range are better then their Interceptor equivalents. But we see 3 Interceptor pilots in popularity, while really only Omega Leader represents the First Order TIE much at all. At the end of the day, it's kind of a toss up. 

Its a shame to because Omega ace and Epsilon leader are also decent F/O pilots. Although if Epsilon Leader was in a S/F then he'd be a beast with FCS.

To the original I think the cost Wins out for the F/O for me in the end. That and I have always had trouble with interceptors. just because I can boost doesn't mean I should...

Edited by FlyingAnchors

When looking at Imperial ships in this price range, there are a variety of options that are good to consider.

• TIE/FO with advanced optics (17 points)
  • TAP with V/1 title (17 points)
  • Scimitar bomber with unguided rockets (18 points)
  • Night Beast with hull upgrade (18 points)
  • Countdown (20 points)

All of these options are better than a generic TIE interceptor. Countdown is the nearest equivalent and he's nicely efficient. I have put all these pilots on the table, except optics on an FO cause that's brand new. Each option has strengths and weaknesses.

Head to head, I'd take the Squint any day, that 3rd attack die is huge when conservative flying and evade tokens mean you are only looking for 1 evade on 3 dice on a good shot. But then again, I've always flown more aggressive than was good for me.

Edited by Nyxen

Naked, I'd take the squint. Pushing damage through with 2 dice is hard enough with a swarm, a single ship benefits greatly from the third die. The /in has better repositioning ability after it moved and better greens. Both aren't exactly tanky, and while it's possible it isn't guaranteed that the extra hit point will buy you another round. 

But there is an inherent problem to the question: This is another comparison in a vacuum, not taking into account the list in which to slot the ship in. This of course relates to the aces and upgrades, but other ships as well, drastically altering what the frame can do. A naked TiE/fo is a filler ship, a squint almost never is. 

That said, I do believe that the Interceptor is a better naked frame than the /fo, as it can do better on its own. But the /fo tends to be a better/decent fit for more lists, just like the /ln.

I think an Epsilon with Advanced Optics is much better than an Alpha Squadron Pilot, but an Alpha with Autothrusters is definitely not something to ignore. It's the only heavy swarmer able to equip them, and along with the Rocket-Scimitar is the only one capable of really 'working' at range 3 (which is good because it's a lot easier to concentrate 5 arcs of fire at range 3 than range 1 - yes you get bonus attack dice but you tend to lose more than you gain in ships that get bumped or arc-dodged).

The epsilon with optics is much tougher - even at range 3 - but a 2-dice primary from long range is a joke, even in quantity.

Cracked Optics (5 x Omega Squadron/Crack Shot/Advanced Optics) does seem to have potential, though. Crack shot covers a multitude of sins when it comes to firepower.

The TIE/fo is a joy to fly, and I'm hoping to get more practice in with it, but at least at the moment, I'm happier with my TIE strikers.