TheWelcomeMat88

Thoughts on Mos Eisley Back Alleys: New Skirmish Tournament Map?

For anyone who hasn't been following the thread about the new map annoucement, here's the link @defkhan1 posted: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/f4/40/f4400bca-e56e-4a77-8da0-fe064db39129/swi_tournament_regulations_v30_text_version.pdf

Also @brettpkelly has a great article here with his thoughts on the map 

http://rollfordamage.net/index.php/2017/12/17/next-map-prediction/

So what is everyone's initial thoughts on the map?

I definitely think it's funny that we get another Tourney map on Tattoine. FFG loves that place :)! I think that the map fits somewhere between Jabbas Palace and Nal Hutta in terms of how able you are to hide figures (not as exposed as Nal Hutta, but not as many hiding places as Jabba like in your deployment zone). Low cost figures like Alliance Smugglers and Hired Guns will do well here. On the drop off crate mission Ahsoka can easily pick up one of the crates and rack you 4 points without your opponent really in most cases being able to stop it. Jabba himself probably is weak here as he is super exposed in either deployment zone (though it seems Jabba lists have greatly diminished since HOTE). The objectives are spread out in such interesting places that I can't wait to see how people choose to split or not split their forces. Even though in theory they are somewhat similar to the other ones (either stand by something, or bring a crate somewhere like in the Anchorhead map), the way they execute it is quite interesting. The objectives on Nal Hutta's control mission Shielded offer more potential points (16 pts) per round than the one here, but here you can get 12 points spread across 6 things to control.

I love how balanced the map feels- it definitely feels competitive. I feel Jabba is pretty balanced too (certain lists and playstyles preferring one side over the other). I loved Anchorhead's patrons mission but the crate mission was always really hard for the bottom zone against any lists with good sniping and speed. And I'm just glad it isn't another map that gives huge advantages to mobile figures (*Elite Jets* cough cough). Also this map lets R2 get to the terminal immediately if you use Hera, so maybe we will see more R2s (I think Anchorhead was tough for the little guy).

Be sure to leave your thoughts below! It's not surprising this map was chosen since it's easier to access it everywhere already, it has Core only tiles (a draw in for new skirmish players, perhaps), and like the Rangers map Nal Hutta they choose from the Wave before the one that had just been released. Following this tradition we can expect to see the super cool Heart of the Empire tiles on display with the next map probably after Regionals ends but before Worlds (my guess). 

Let the dice roll on baby!

Edited by TheWelcomeMat88
added more text

Having not played it and just looking at the missions now, I like the idea that it can allow players to aggressively advance on the board with all those closed doors.  Then, at the end of the round, two of the doors come off and then the battle will be truly joined.senIt seems like it's designed to give both players (probably) a free terminal Round 1, barring some aggressive double moves to contest it.

I'm hoping this paradigm with all the approaches and the doors allows melee units some room to shine here, as it would put an interesting meta component to list building.  You can still have a ranged advantage on Swamps but on Back Alleys your melee opponent will have the edge.  Could be great for Vader to really go deep.

Now I eagerly await the official mats to be produced and sent out.

The evil lord Darth Cleardave, obsessed with finding the young mat, has dispatched thousands of remote probes into the far reaches of space...

I printed off the droid wave a while ago, so I have played both scenarios and i think they made a good choice. I think the map is pretty balanced and it gives people a little more time to acquire HotE before one of those maps comes into rotation next. you can position for melee, but it opens up for ranged also. There's plenty of objective points available (12 per round on A or 32 total on B). There's a lot of competition for those objective points, so there will be plenty of times where it's just a blood bath. It's probably going to take 2 rounds for a figure to get a crate back so 4 points seems fair. Deployment zones are pretty balanced since the map is pretty symmetrical, The balanced DZs may discourage some use of Devious Scheme, but that's still a really powerful upgrade. I can't find a whole lot to complain about.

Edited by Fightwookies

1 hour ago, Georgedpalpatine said:

Had anyone played many games in this map?

Looking at it, it’s difficuly to tell if the closed doors favour melee units (by allowing them to get into position) or long-ranged units (via those long corridors).

I really hope that melee gets a boost!

This is a perfect competitive map.  You can actually get a lot of first round attacks if your opponent over extends.  The crates are equa-distant from each deployment zone and the deployment zones are pretty similar as well.  The map is actually fairly small, so while there may be some advantage in opening 1 over the other, doors WILL be opened and you can reach the opponents back lines by turn 2 at the latest. The map is also small enough, that you're going to be able to use melee figures, because you'll right on top of your opponents figures when the doors open.  This map will force you to move to the middle to capture the crates, and force conflict.  I don't think we need 3 maps of this style, but the fact that there is at least one map that favors this type of play.  I'd like a combination of sniper and melee maps at all times to guarantee more variety.

Played one game on this map so far and I already like it way more than Anchorhead. The map feels balanced between deployment zones. There's a number of nice sniping lanes as well as places for melee figures to hide strike from the shadows. The objectives are pretty much the same as Nal Hutta and Jabba's Palace (control points and picking up crates) but there's fewer things to remember than the objectives in those maps which is nice. The door mechanic is also pretty cool.