Swordbreaker

Clan Packs - What Do You Want to See?

2 hours ago, Ser Nakata said:

But when dueling becomes a sure win, it loses all it's interest as a bidding mechanic...

It is when the guys throwing the duels become unbeatable than dueling becomes a NPE for the opponent.

The easy answer to this is to ensure that duels are no longer the initiator picks his target.  It becomes far less of a sure thing when I have to worry about my opponent sending his buffed champion in response to my duel instead of picking his 0/1 spud.

53 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

The easy answer to this is to ensure that duels are no longer the initiator picks his target.  It becomes far less of a sure thing when I have to worry about my opponent sending his buffed champion in response to my duel instead of picking his 0/1 spud.

That swings it the other way. Dueling at that point becomes a useless tool for the initiator, who probably won't bother putting duel cards in his deck because he knows they won't get him the effects he wants. It's a tough balance to walk, and it's not like I have a great answer. Putting in a really powerful duel where your opponent chooses who accepts would be cool, but as a general rule, I think it would make duels too weak.

57 minutes ago, agarrett said:

That swings it the other way. Dueling at that point becomes a useless tool for the initiator, who probably won't bother putting duel cards in his deck because he knows they won't get him the effects he wants. It's a tough balance to walk, and it's not like I have a great answer. Putting in a really powerful duel where your opponent chooses who accepts would be cool, but as a general rule, I think it would make duels too weak.

It just means you need to tool your Duelist up but can't make him a killing god.  I've seen the issue with Rags in the Dragon and to a lesser extent Kaizen in Crane.  Had a game last week where an honored Kaizen with fine Katana was defending Crane Stronghold for three turns by picking a weak target and dueling my army home each turn.  If I'd had the choice of who he fights would have been a different story as I could have made a fight of it to force him to bid higher but as it was he had 7 force before bid so as long as he could pick a 2 or 3 military with his first action wasn't a lot I could do.

5 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

It just means you need to tool your Duelist up but can't make him a killing god.  I've seen the issue with Rags in the Dragon and to a lesser extent Kaizen in Crane.  Had a game last week where an honored Kaizen with fine Katana was defending Crane Stronghold for three turns by picking a weak target and dueling my army home each turn.  If I'd had the choice of who he fights would have been a different story as I could have made a fight of it to force him to bid higher but as it was he had 7 force before bid so as long as he could pick a 2 or 3 military with his first action wasn't a lot I could do.

I hate to break it to you, but Kakita Kaezin's ability DOES give you a choice who to commit to the duel.

Just now, AradonTemplar said:

I hate to break it to you, but Kakita Kaezin's ability DOES give you a choice who to commit to the duel.

See that's why I need to read cards (truthfully by the time i had a body that would have made a difference in the fight it wouldn't have made a difference as I was only flipping my swarm at that stage and couldn't find a Brawler or Spiritcaller to save my life). 

Kakita Kaezin's text box is one of the most confusing text boxes in the entire game (compounded with involving a duel, which new players can go many games without ever encountering), and I think it really hurt Dueling's presence in the core. A lot of players don't understand how duels work until they encounter it a few times because it's so uncommon of an effect in an already-complex game. The fact that its premiere instance is on a card that has two separate effects depending on who wins or loses, and whose application is not immediately clear, makes it a very hard card to parse, and I think turned a lot of players off of dueling to begin with. I bet a whole lot of people just glanced over the card after a moment of trying to understand what it does and then how to use it.

Unlike Raitsugu, where it's perfectly clear: the lose of the duel loses a fate or dies. Like most abilities, the owner gets to pick the targets. Clean and simple. Then we have Kakita Kaezin, who lets your opponent choose the opponent, then duels, and then if you win, send everyone else home but you still have to fight their strongest guy (again?) and if you lose, Kaezin goes home. There are too many facets to work out.