Sign in to follow this  
Mogrok

New FAQ

12 hours ago, MasterShake2 said:

I am glad they cleared up Task Force Antilles.  We wouldn't want anyone mistaking Hammerheads for useful.

Yes. I am quite surprised by this as well.

It is not as if the Hammerheads was a game-breaker and of the three titles, Task Force Antilles, was probably the less powerful of the lot. Now it is absolutely & totally useless since you can now only redirect 1 point on a 2 shield + 5 PV (no Brace) ship which makes absolutely no difference in the end.... and you have to pay 3pt for the privilege...

In the meantime, the BTAvenger continues to make large capital ship play difficult to near impossible for the Rebels.... oh! and Screed can now be triggered on squadron as well as if one of the most cost effective admirals needed an additional buff... and Sloane got buffed as well since she obviously needed it because she is absolutely not played by nearly everyone.

Who exactly did write this FAQ ? What is the point of playing Rebel I really wonder ?

Edited by Tabulazero

Just now, Tabulazero said:

It is not as if the Hammerheads was a game-breaker and of the three titles, Task Force Antilles, was probably the less powerful of the lot. Now it is absolutely & totally useless since you can now only redirect 1 point on a 2 shield + 5 PV (no Brace) ship which makes absolutely no difference in the end.... and you have to pay 3pt for the privilege...

In the meantime, the BTAvenger continues to make large capital ship play difficult to near impossible for the Rebels.... oh! and Screed can now be triggered on squadron as well as if one of the most cost effective admirals needed an additional buff... and Sloane got buffed as well because obviously she needed it because she is absolutely not played by nearly everyone.

Who exactly did write this FAQ ? What is the point of playing Rebel I really wonder ?

HHs ... yeah I go with you on this one

BTAvenger,  if you only have 3 defence tokens it can only spend 3 irrespective of its own SQN value

Screed DIDNT get a buff... he still only affects friendly SHIPS, he did not get errataed so his card still reads ships.... he just able to be used in any phase / activation (which is they way I've always played him)

Sloane didnt get a  buff as far as some clubs go.... this is they way shes always been played (a super accuracy if you will )

2 minutes ago, Tabulazero said:

Screed can now be triggered on squadron as well

No he can't. But he can be trigger on a counter attack (QLT+Kallus).

3 minutes ago, Tabulazero said:

Sloane got buffed

No she did not. You've just been playing her wrong.

4 minutes ago, Tabulazero said:

Who exactly did write this FAQ ?

Someone who understands the rules better than you do, apparently :P

1 minute ago, DiabloAzul said:

Someone who understands the rules better than you do, apparently :P

Then I really would like this clever person to find a way a half-amusing way to play large capital ship as a Rebel in the current meta, one that for instance does not rely on the quasi-automatic inclusion of Engine Tech or the use of GR-75 as a blocker to have a slim chance of survival.

My MC-80s are gathering dust on my shelf and I miss them.

31 minutes ago, Tabulazero said:

Then I really would like this clever person to find a way a half-amusing way to play large capital ship as a Rebel in the current meta, one that for instance does not rely on the quasi-automatic inclusion of Engine Tech or the use of GR-75 as a blocker to have a slim chance of survival.

Sounds like your meta needs the Dee. The Billy Dee.

lando-calrissian.png

Slap that OT bad boy on your big ship and watch your Avenger problems largely resolve themselves. Extra fun with Reinforced Blast Doors.

I'm also not sure why using a flotilla with a big ship is particularly odious. Flotillas are cheap and are particularly helpful used in support of a large ship, BTA or no.

1 hour ago, Tabulazero said:

Repulse and Renown (dual LMC80) haven't done half bad, all things considered. I also recommend Lando, or as I prefer to think of him, the OG Targeting Scrambler. Ackbar Assault Cruisers still give me pause, and @jamie nasmyth has a rude Dodonna list with enough B-wings to bring down the Death Star.

Yeah Avenger is irritating. It also isn't tournament dominant by any stretch of any available imagination. Experiment, and remember this forum is not either the end all be all of either Armada knowledge OR some supposed global "meta" that's done a fantastic job of generating discussion and stress without either seriously affecting games or anything else IRL that I've seen.

One question that was floating around that didn't get addressed was whether you have to discard Boarding Troopers/Engineers if you use a dial rather than a token. 

ie. When using the card, do you:

1) have the choice between using a token plus discarding the upgrade or using a dial without discarding the upgrade

OR

2) You have to discard the upgrade either way.

While I'm firmly within the number 2 camp I can see the arguement for number 1, so would like this FAQ'd at some point.

11 minutes ago, slasher956 said:

the cards say 'discard... and this card'

Some people were asking whether it was

a) discard [a squadron dial or token] and [this card]

or

b) discard [a squadron dial] or [token and this card].

In my mind it's pretty obvious that [token and this card] doesn't work on its own, i.e. it'd have to be discard a squadron dial or a squadron token and this card in order for it to even be ambiguous, but that's what the argument was. I don't think it needs an FAQ though.

19 minutes ago, slasher956 said:

the cards say 'discard... and this card'

you have to discard the card and the token /dial to use it.... no FAQ required

The question is discard ((a dial or token) and this card) vs. discard ((a dial) or (token and this card)).   It could be argued that the wording is ambiguous.

I don't believe it's an argument worth having - regardless of the wording, the intention is clear.

3 hours ago, Tabulazero said:

When I stop seeing Defiance Ackbar I'll let you know. It is routinely at the top tables here in NOVA.

1 minute ago, rasproteus said:

The question is discard ((a dial or token) and this card) vs. discard ((a dial) or (token and this card)).   It could be argued that the wording is ambiguous.

I don't believe it's an argument worth having - regardless of the wording, the intention is clear.

1 minute ago, Villakarvarousku said:

Some people were asking whether it was

a) discard [a squadron dial or token] and [this card]

or

b) discard [a squadron dial] or [token and this card].

In my mind it's pretty obvious that [token and this card] doesn't work on its own, i.e. it'd have to be discard a squadron dial or a squadron token and this card in order for it to even be ambiguous, but that's what the argument was. I don't think it needs an FAQ though.

English semantics here,  there is not a full stop between the [dial or token] and [this card] meaning that it is a single statement held together by the word &.  eg wear a Suit & tie. is a single statement.

6 hours ago, Tabulazero said:

Surprised by it? No.  Disappointed? Maybe a little just because how fun HH swarms can be.

If you are running a swarm of HH straight at the front arc of an ISD...well, you're not a very good player to begin with, and you'd need more than a gamebreaking title card to save yourself.

This is the issue with the TFA title discussion.  A HH shouldn't be able to tank massive attacks by having the damage spread across an entire fleet.  That makes no sense and sets up some game breaking scenarios with STM.  The TFA title is about a formation of ships where they are willing to intercept a couple shots for another ship...this is not something that an entire fleet can do at once.  But again, if you need to tank a massive attack from an ISD, you likely did something wrong already.  That's not the role of the HH.  The HH is a flanker.  You are supposed to speed a couple HHs into the flank of a higher priority target and unleash a nasty volley or two while also maybe ramming it.  So you are supposed to be flying 2 or 3 HHs into the flank of the ISD.  Now you can start to see the real advantage of TFA.  The side arc of the ISD isn't going to one shot a HH, but the TFA will be able to shunt a little of that damage to another craft giving the original target even more durability.  And now when another ship also takes a shot at the HH, you can shunt another point of damage to another HH.  TFA is meant to keep HHs alive by compensating for the low shields while it's making it's attacks in the proper arcs.

7 minutes ago, kmanweiss said:

Surprised by it? No.  Disappointed? Maybe a little just because how fun HH swarms can be.

If you are running a swarm of HH straight at the front arc of an ISD...well, you're not a very good player to begin with, and you'd need more than a gamebreaking title card to save yourself.

This is the issue with the TFA title discussion.  A HH shouldn't be able to tank massive attacks by having the damage spread across an entire fleet.  That makes no sense and sets up some game breaking scenarios with STM.  The TFA title is about a formation of ships where they are willing to intercept a couple shots for another ship...this is not something that an entire fleet can do at once.  But again, if you need to tank a massive attack from an ISD, you likely did something wrong already.  That's not the role of the HH.  The HH is a flanker.  You are supposed to speed a couple HHs into the flank of a higher priority target and unleash a nasty volley or two while also maybe ramming it.  So you are supposed to be flying 2 or 3 HHs into the flank of the ISD.  Now you can start to see the real advantage of TFA.  The side arc of the ISD isn't going to one shot a HH, but the TFA will be able to shunt a little of that damage to another craft giving the original target even more durability.  And now when another ship also takes a shot at the HH, you can shunt another point of damage to another HH.  TFA is meant to keep HHs alive by compensating for the low shields while it's making it's attacks in the proper arcs.

But would you pay 3pt for that ?

30 minutes ago, Tabulazero said:

But would you pay 3pt for that ?

Yup.

Hammerheads able to shuffle unlimited were unkillable by large ships and bombers. Hammerheads able to shuffle 1 damage are still mostly unkillable by bombers, but now have a weakness to large ships.

In this case you were playing it wrong, which is fine, but I don't understand being upset as the title is still easily the best of the three.

Edited by BrobaFett

Follow up: does everyone really hate Hammerheads or something? They're basically Rebel Raiders which means they need time to figure out how to work. Heck, I still don't have everything down. But they're actually pretty solid ships! Just don't start them near everything else, they want to be flanking, like @kmanweiss said.

5 minutes ago, geek19 said:

Follow up: does everyone really hate Hammerheads or something? They're basically Rebel Raiders which means they need time to figure out how to work. Heck, I still don't have everything down. But they're actually pretty solid ships! Just don't start them near everything else, they want to be flanking, like @kmanweiss said.

I’ve always had fun with them.

bt I think it’s a mix of inexperience and physical cost to get a bunch of them that is a barrier.

i would have ended up with 5-6 if I could have budgeted one at a time... but instead, having to drop larger ship cost at once for two was a physical barrier to getting 6...

i also felt I would have learned more starting with 1 and scaling up from there.

instad, I jumped into 6 with commission payments.

Edited by Drasnighta

11 hours ago, Tabulazero said:

In the meantime, the BTAvenger continues to make large capital ship play difficult to near impossible for the Rebels.... oh! and Screed can now be triggered on squadron as well as if one of the most cost effective admirals needed an additional buff... and Sloane got buffed as well since she obviously needed it because she is absolutely not played by nearly everyone.

Again I say this wasn't an errata. It was a clarification. The rules as written and the rules as intended both dictate that this is how this card has and should work.

Edited by Tirion
Really autocorrect really?

2 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

I’ve always had fun with them.

bt I think it’s a mix of inexperience and physical cost to get a bunch of them that is a barrier.

i would have ended up with 5-6 if I could have budgeted one at a time... but instead, having to drop larger ship cost at once for two was a physical barrier to getting 6...

i also felt I would have learned more starting with 1 and scaling up from there.

I think this is a real issue. They seem to be better at the 3 or 4 mark. 2 doesn't shuffle enough for the titles. 

1 minute ago, geek19 said:

I have found that hammerheads punch well above their weight class against non-gunnery teams, non-black dice ships. I think more so than Raiders they need to find an opportunistic match up that they can hound.

I've been playing 4 TFA Hammerheads since they came out.  I've also been using the title as ruled in the FAQ to move one damage at a time.  They are excellent at surviving against anything that doesn't one-shot them. 

I have a fleet with 4 TFA HHs and an STM! Assault Pelta with Projection Experts.  In a recent game I managed to recover 23 shields! 

You can't convince me that TFA is anything short of awesome.