Omnustechni

Best Star Wars Gift You've Ever Received

Happy Holidays Legionaries. 

I thought since Christmas is right around the corner, I'd start a fun thread about what the best Star Wars gift you've ever gotten was. This year, I got The Last Jedi for my birthday. December birthdays are generally not ideal, but for the last couple of years all the new Star Wars movies keep coming out on or around my birthday so I always get to see them as part of my birthday celebration. 

The actual best Star Wars gift anyone every gave me was this painting my wife did for me. 

9ac950d2e39bcd9229ff012eb50a6dd4.jpg

When we were playing The Old Republic a lot she made these for us to hang up on the wall. They are favorite wall art in my house. 

So what is your favorite Star Wars gift you've ever received? Stories and pictures are welcome. Also suggestions would be helpful for any of us that have Star Wars fans on our Christmas List, but haven't been able to decide what to get them yet. 

My 8th Birthday/Christmas, which was a long time ago in a town far, far away.....

I too am a December birthday and I was obsessed with The Empire Strikes Back. My parents had taken me to see it that summer back in 1980. My parents worked hard but still struggled to make ends meet. I always had to forego a Birthday Party since Christmas was right around the corner. (20 days). 

As a kid your eyes were always bigger than your parents checkbook and this was definitely the case with me that year. I wanted everything I saw in every commercial, every toy department and toy store. We went to the store early on the morning of the 6th the day after my Birthday to go pick out the Star Wars figure I wanted most for my gift. I chose the C-3PO with the removable limbs to go with my Chewbacca. When we got home I opened him up and began playing with all my figures. 

My father asked me to check off on the back of the card which figures I would like Santa to bring me that year. Honestly there wasn't a figure that I didn't check off but I put bigger check marks next to the figures I wanted most. My parents then asked me to go ahead and play outside which meant I had to stop playing Star Wars because I never took them outside by choice. (I kept everything in perfect condition and up until Hurricane Wilma back in 2005, I still had all my original Kenner toys.)

Anyway to get back on track we were to go have dinner at my Grandmothers Christmas eve which was our family tradition. Every one was there, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins etc... We had dinner and that night I was asked to take out the trash. They handed me a full garbage bag and told me  they might have accidentally thrown out my Christmas card. I opened the bag and it was full of Star Wars toys. 

Bespin Luke, Han Solo, Lando Calrissian, Boba Fett, Dengar, Hoth Luke , Han and Leia, Yoda, Snowtrooper, AT-AT Driver, Taun Tauns, a Star Destroyer Playset a Snowspeeder and finally the Millenium Falcon. My entire family filled my Star Wars wish list and I didn't know whether to laugh or cry in that moment and eventually did both. Honestly that was the best day of my entire childhood. 

1 hour ago, C3POFETT said:

My 8th Birthday/Christmas, which was a long time ago in a town far, far away.....

I too am a December birthday and I was obsessed with The Empire Strikes Back. My parents had taken me to see it that summer back in 1980. My parents worked hard but still struggled to make ends meet. I always had to forego a Birthday Party since Christmas was right around the corner. (20 days). 

As a kid your eyes were always bigger than your parents checkbook and this was definitely the case with me that year. I wanted everything I saw in every commercial, every toy department and toy store. We went to the store early on the morning of the 6th the day after my Birthday to go pick out the Star Wars figure I wanted most for my gift. I chose the C-3PO with the removable limbs to go with my Chewbacca. When we got home I opened him up and began playing with all my figures. 

My father asked me to check off on the back of the card which figures I would like Santa to bring me that year. Honestly there wasn't a figure that I didn't check off but I put bigger check marks next to the figures I wanted most. My parents then asked me to go ahead and play outside which meant I had to stop playing Star Wars because I never took them outside by choice. (I kept everything in perfect condition and up until Hurricane Wilma back in 2005, I still had all my original Kenner toys.)

Anyway to get back on track we were to go have dinner at my Grandmothers Christmas eve which was our family tradition. Every one was there, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins etc... We had dinner and that night I was asked to take out the trash. They handed me a full garbage bag and told me  they might have accidentally thrown out my Christmas card. I opened the bag and it was full of Star Wars toys. 

Bespin Luke, Han Solo, Lando Calrissian, Boba Fett, Dengar, Hoth Luke , Han and Leia, Yoda, Snowtrooper, AT-AT Driver, Taun Tauns, a Star Destroyer Playset a Snowspeeder and finally the Millenium Falcon. My entire family filled my Star Wars wish list and I didn't know whether to laugh or cry in that moment and eventually did both. Honestly that was the best day of my entire childhood. 

Wow. That's an amazing story. Absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Brings a tear to the eye. 

Honestly, there was a time in my life where I could've "outgrown" Star Wars, to a degree... but as a quiet, daydreamy introvert in a very large extended family, I was pegged as The Star Wars Kid, (there were football and baseball kids, come to think of it it was mostly just a lazy, easy way to catagorize all us kids) so that's what grandparents and droves of aunts, uncles, and cousins got me, and it persisted well into adulthood. now star wars paraphernalia is intrinsically linked with fond family memories. As a grown up ish with a houseful of my own, now my kids call me easy to shop for and just snag me star wars stuff.. and I'm happy with that. But I doubt I could ever pin it down to one thing anymore.

I met my girlfriend about 1 month before Christmas, and for that first Christmas she got me 3 scotch glasses that she had etched a silhouetteof Darth Vader and the words "may the drink be with you."  She also managed to get me an original Ewok stuffed animal from when Return of the Jedi was released for that Easter.  It's a pretty close toss-up between those two gifts.

It was a long time ago in a state and age far, far away ...

It was between New Hope and ESB.  Pretty sure it was.  From memory the horrific Christmas special had come out showing the first glimpse of B Fett.  I was in the waiting stage for my proof of purchase B Fett with working rocket launcher, which I still own.  Like someone earlier, my Bday is/was right after Christmas.  So one not both was usually larger than the other. 

I remember being super sick with strep and kept at home for a week.  Entire week of my Bday.   No sight of a B Fett arrival at my house.  It missed arriving by Christmas.  I was coming to grips it would not arrive to help the battle with strep nor would he be around for my Bday.  However, I was told to expect a surprise.  Totally convinced it was B Fett ... 

Got the Death Star play-set, which I also still own including the blue and yellow foam pieces.  For whatever reason the only childhood birthday I have this level of recall about.  Zero clue on gifts from others  

My wife went to visit her dad in Waco and he loves going to estate sales. She told me she had found me something and it turned out to be this awesome set of the Star Wars books on cassette with a Falcon model.

Haven't had a tape player in several decades, doesn't stop this from being one of the best gifts I ever got.

I'm such a lucky man.

334994_10150606971701873_694801600_o.jpg

Nice walk down memory lane, reading these stories. Brings back good Christmas and birthday memories of the Death Star playset, Imperial Attack Base, Vader's fighter, etc.

The one that sticks out the most was my 7th birthday, Oct. 1980.

I was a big ESB junkie. Saw it eight times in the theater while it was out. Parents, relatives, friends' parents, neighbors all suffered my company to take me to see that movie!

I had a birthday party at a local park, one aunt, sister, about 8 friends. And my dad was there, which was super-cool, because he was always working and rarely got to do family type stuff. Ironic that my mom wasn't, she working that day! 

Was so stoked when dad brought out the cake. Bespin Luke, Bespin Leia and Yoda were on the cake, which was also frosted in Star Wars style. The only Star Wars gift I remember with certainty when and where I received it.

I still have all three of them, but am missing Yoda's robe, Leia's cape and her head. Luke and Yoda's heads have been glued on, and re-glued on, they've survived three of my children too. They are much worse for the wear, I'm afraid.

Happy New Year, everyone!

my AT-AT at my 9th birthday party the same year ESB came out ...since my bday is in dec i was one of those kids that got a small gift for my birthday and the "real" present at xmas...this time my dad really surprised me (he almost never got  me a "toy" as i usually got those "build kits" to make radios and such )

i actually cried a bit and got somewhat quiet as i stared at it once i tore the wrapping paper enough to make out what it was ..........i have been a super fan since 77 maaaaaaaan;)

i still get a lil  verklempt when i hear the opening music and see certain images  (wipes lone tear from eye) 

My kids gave me a black card with "I am your father" in silver. However there was some text in gloss black that in conjunction with the silver text read "I am your fathers day card".

Now at 13 and 17 it was just so nice because for the first time ever they remembered fathers day.

17 hours ago, TheEldarGuy said:

I was about 7 years old when I received my Death Star set. It had a trash compactor and everything, Best Star Wars present I ever had.

CardboardDS2.jpg

Snap on the Death Star as best Star Wars present ever! Christmas '79??? :) And thanks for the photo and bringing back the memories. I had so many games and adventures with it. Many a light sabre duel was fought in its halls and corridors....