BlodVargarna

Obligatory film ranking thread

3 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Remember: Just because they're lower than the prequels doesn't mean they're bad or I don't like them. They're just my lowest Star Wars films.

Yeah, like I've said before as well, I've only seen two Star Wars films I didn't like! Also I'm officially out of likes for the day now. Curses. 

Rogue One

Empire Strikes Back

Rebels (yeah, I know, not a movie but really loving what it adds to the galaxy)

The Force Awakens

A New Hope

Return if the Jedi

The Last Jedi*

Revenge of the Sith

The Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clowns

*The humor really put me off.  I was expecting a much more serious film.  One of the pitfalls of multiple directors, I suppose.

Edited by Darth Meanie

The first 3 are so close I may change my mind tomorrow.

1) A New Hope. There really is something special about this film that the rest lack. (Maybe the pacing and the tension.) To me it definitely has the most rewatch value.

2) Empire Strikes Back. Still the best film in the Star Wars universe technically. 

3) Rogue One. It is right up there with the other 2. It is slow paced, but well worth the reward.

*Huge Gap*

4) Return of the Jedi. I love the end lightsaber battle (and the subtext of it) and the space battle, everything else is forgettable.

5) The Force Awakens. The first act is one of the best in all of Star Wars. The 2nd is mediocre. The 3rd is horrible. Why is starkiller base in it again? Why is Rey too **** good at everything?

6) The Last Jedi. The conclusion of George Lucas’s Star Wars. Loved the Luke, Rey and Kylo plot. Great world building. The rest was forgettable.

*Huge gap #2*

7)  Revenge of the Sith. Concludes Anakin’s story. Cool lightsaber battle and beginning space battle. 

8) A Phantom Menace. This one I think has a lot of over looked good. Qui Gon Jinn and Darth Maul are awesome. The bad of Jar Jar and young Anakin just outweighs everything.

9) Attack of the Clones. I can’t think of one good thing to say about this one. This is a yawn fest.

*Huge Huge gap*

10) The Christmas Special. I still have not made it through.

1. VI
  2. IV
  3. V
  4. VIII
  5. R1
  6. III
  7. VII
  8. I
  9. II
  10. Ewoks Battle for Endor
  11. Caravan of Courage Ewok Adventure

I didn't include the cartoons which for the Holiday special had one animation so I threw it in that category. There was Droids, Ewoks, Clone Wars animated and 3d, and Rebels. Out them in whatever order you like.

SO I redid mine after some realization and yes I put the Ewoks on the top even though they are the weakest plot device in the movie (not as weak as Porgs though). But reason why I put it on top is because Return of the Jedi was true to its namesake "Star Wars" it was the full on ship on ship starfighter on starfighter action. The first one gave us a brief ship on ship but it was more of a goliath beating down on a not david one sided battle but there was still the starfighters and the space station. As for Empire why I put it on the bottom is because it is not a stand alone story. Empire might have been the most compelling but it needs both Episode 4 to set the premise and Episode 6 for the closure. Thus I put it in 3rd.

As for 7 yes I rank it under Attack of the Clones because simply I don't like it not just because it was a rehash (even thought that does contribute to it) but because it was predictable and safe and it felt more like a corporate mashup of what Star Wars would be without any creativity behind it (as JJ Abrams has none). I get it, fans told JJ give us Star Wars and not the Prequels and JJ did exactly that. It wasn't a self contain story like the first movie, JJ was setting up for all these big reveals that he had no plan for and neither did Disney. Quite Frankly it held back the Series. Granted Revenge of the Sith didn't have much to go for after the disaster of Attack of the Clones but it was able to end on sombre note bringing the disaster to close. It could be made better with some edditing removing the whole lost the will to live and the NOOOoooooo along with cutting the light saber battle in half.

Edited by Marinealver
reevaluation.

16 hours ago, Hobojebus said:

Empire 9/10

jedi 8/10

Hope 7/10

TFA 6/10

Tlj 4/10

Rogue one 4/10

Sith  3/10

Phantom 2/10 

Clone wars 0/10

The ewok TV movies -7/10

Christmas special -9000

To be fair we were introduced to  Kashyyyk and Boba Fett in the Holiday Special.

To put a little more verbiage behind the choices:

#1- Empire Strikes Back:  Widely regarded as one of the best and for good reason.  Well paced, shot, directed.  Has some great scenes that are classics in the trilogy.  Even with some minor flaws, still easily one of the best of the series and best movies of all time.

#2- A New Hope:  Part of this is a legacy ranking because without A New Hope, there is no Star Wars, but the movie does hold up on it's own quite well because it before a time where everything got sequels no matter how trash, so it was designed to be a self-contained arc.  It does have some pacing issues and an over reliance on coincidence for parts of it's storytelling (which I guess you could've sort of write off as the will of the force), but is still super watchable and the Battle of Yavin is a classic even if we only really know like 2 of the pilots.

#3- The Last Jedi:  Sue me, it had the best lightsaber battle in the series, space combat that was more than just awesome pilots being awesome and did a great job of capturing the feel of a Resistance on it's last legs fighting an enemy of such size that even the minor victories don't matter.  What knocks this down a little for me is the scene with Leia early on using the force and the diversion on the planet with Blackjack and Hookers.  Otherwise, this movie is actually really watchable and the scenes with Kylo/Rey/Luke is some of the best done light/dark conflicts in the entire series.  I think a lot of people are going to warm up to this the way they did ESB on repeat viewings.

#4- Rogue One:  It felt like this movie suffered from just having a lot of ground to cover, so the characterization was kept short and sweet and nobody really gets past their given role in the team, but that aside, it's fun to watch, pretty well paced with moments of good action bookended by scenes of discussion of what exactly they're up against.  Features the best space battle in the entire series at Scariff and I will fight you on that.

#5- The Force Awakens:  How do you reboot Star Wars without rebooting Star Wars because it's Star Wars and if you actually rebooted it, the nerd rage would power the planet for the next decade?  Well, you use some similar beats and characters, but tell the story in a slightly new way of course.  this movie is pretty watchable even if it does have some scenes that overstay their welcome.  Much like the battle of Scariff, I could watch the Starkiler base fight all day and never tire of it.  It has the ANH problem is being super reliant on coincidence, but if people are so willing to write it off on ANH, they should be willing to for TFA.  The major downside is that there definitely feels like some non-trivial scenes are still on a cutting room floor somewhere (like where the **** did Poe go after the TIE crash?), but all in all, I can pop this movie in right now and sit through the whole thing with no problems, which is why it is where it is.

#6- Return of the Jedi:  This film, in my opinion, gets some serious mileage out of nostalgia goggles.  Going back now, I kind of dread it when it does come up as something to watch.  The whole movie basically builds to the battle of Endor, but that isn't even mentioned until like halfway through and there's a legendary amount of messing around between Jabba, Dagobah, the Ewoks.  You could trim the runtime by a lot and not miss much, but it still has some really great scenes.

#7- Revenge of the Sith:  The most watchable of the prequels (granted isn't saying much), but I can actually sit down and watch it.  The dialogue is cheesy and the CGI is a warcrime, but it definitely feels like it at least tries to be an engaging experience with the other prequels didn't and it has the fewest "oops I fell asleep, what did I miss?" moments of all the prequels...and you might actually have missed something to boot.  On the edge of watchable.

#8-  Phantom Menace:  The dialogue is bad, the CG is bad, the second act comes to an unrelenting crawl where you could be forgiven for going to sleep and boy would you not miss much.  also "Midichlorians" or whatever they're called that the rest of the prequel seems to immediately forget as I wish I could.  There are at least some bright spots, the Darth Maul fight was good and Duel of the Fates is an awesome score and it has at least some good moments beyond that.  Sinks just below the watchability line for me.  I'll occaisionally look up from whatever else I'm doing and be like "oh, it's star wars", but I'd have problems if you made me sit down and watch it while doing nothing else.

#9-  Attack of the Clones:  I cannot watch this movie.  It's like 2 hours of nothing happening and one of the most cringe-worthy romantic subplots ever put to film.  Even the snails pace second act of TPM has more going on.  Literally the only reason to watch this is for the battle of geonosis which still ranks as moderately cool, but it's a lot of work to get there.

1: Rogue One, because it's awesome that everyone sacrifices themselves for the cause and space battle land battle.

2: Return of the Jedi, because space battle and Anakin's redemption.

3: Empire Strikes Back, because snow battle and Luke can't do anything right.

4: The Last Jedi, because spoilers spoilers spoilers the most unpredictable Star Wars movie ever.

5: The Force Awakens, fun characters and great lightsaber battle.

6: A New Hope, because it's part two of Rogue One.

7: The Revenge of the Sith, super long lightsaber battle.

8: The Phantom Menace, one of the best lightsaber battles in all of Star Wars.

9: Attack of the Clones, the fight between Obi-Wan and Jango Fett was cool.

19 minutes ago, MasterShake2 said:

To put a little more verbiage behind the choices:

#6- Return of the Jedi:  This film, in my opinion, gets some serious mileage out of nostalgia goggles.  Going back now, I kind of dread it when it does come up as something to watch.  The whole movie basically builds to the battle of Endor, but that isn't even mentioned until like halfway through and there's a legendary amount of messing around between Jabba, Dagobah, the Ewoks.  You could trim the runtime by a lot and not miss much, but it still has some really great scenes.

Oof.  I wonder just how much Lucas' goddamned tinkering has affected this one, because I'm old enough to rememebr ROTJ's cinematic release and I loved it then, and still love it now.

This was before CGI alien song and dance routines, CGI intergalactic celebrations and disrespectful Hayden force ghost substitution.  Is it the weakest of the Original Trilogy?  Probably, but it still comes out ahead of anything else released since in my opinion, with the possible exception of Rogue One.

1 minute ago, FTS Gecko said:

Oof.  I wonder just how much Lucas' goddamned tinkering has affected this one, because I'm old enough to rememebr ROTJ's cinematic release and I loved it then, and still love it now.

This was before CGI alien song and dance routines, CGI intergalactic celebrations and disrespectful Hayden force ghost substitution.  Is it the weakest of the Original Trilogy?  Probably, but it still comes out ahead of anything else released since in my opinion, with the possible exception of Rogue One.

So am I, I had it on VHS...and fast forwarded through a lot of parts.  Parts of it just drag way too much for me and the final lightsaber battle overstays it's welcome a lot.  It has good moments, but is way longer than it should be.