Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Crit Happens

Let's discuss BB-9E (TLJ Spoilers)

21 posts in this topic

This little droid single-handedly foiled Finn and Rose's mission on Snoke's ship. Without BB-9E recognizing that an upside down trash can was running into everything, those Rebel Scum would have gotten away. 

BB-9E is clearly the hero of the First Order, and deserves a bit of recognition.

In game, I really hope we get him as a crew member soon. But what would the ability be? Something that disrupts the opponents plan I think. Maybe this:

Unique Crew, Empire only. 3 points. 

After an enemy ship declares your ship as the target of an attack, you may choose to discard this card. If you do, the attacker rolls 0 dice. 

This could be completely unbalanced, but I think it sounds fun, and infuriating. It could really mess with people's target priority. What are your thoughts? 

Let's hear your ideas for BB-9E in X wing!

I'm not going to lie, when watching the film I thought BB-9E was going to be the way the First Order were tracking the Resistance fleet; there were a couple of times we saw a dark-coloured BB-9E-esque droid hanging around in the background during key resistance scenes.  But then he turns up on the Supremacy.

As for in-game effects; haven't a clue.  Really you'd be looking for a mechanic representative of alerting your ships to the presence of enemy ships, but how to translate that into game terms?

15 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

I'm not going to lie, when watching the film I thought BB-9E was going to be the way the First Order were tracking the Resistance fleet; there were a couple of times we saw a dark-coloured BB-9E-esque droid hanging around in the background during key resistance scenes.  But then he turns up on the Supremacy.

i kept expecting to find out that the FO was actually following that beacon wristwatch thing.

but yeah, there was a dirty/darkish grey BB unit in quite a few background shots, and when i first saw it i had to wonder.. "wait, was that?"

16 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

As for in-game effects; haven't a clue.  Really you'd be looking for a mechanic representative of alerting your ships to the presence of enemy ships, but how to translate that into game terms?

well, the BB-9's are apparently used by the FO for maintenance stuff, but yeah BB-9E needs some sort of "if enemies are near" ability. perhaps if an enemy ship is within range 1-2, the ship he is on gains something? (focus, evade, not sure what would be thematic)

Crit Happens likes this

One thing I noticed while watching the film was that there only seemed to be BB units around, both for the First Order and the Resistance. I think the only R series astromechs were in the X-wings and R2 on the Falcon, but well all of those fighters in the hangar blew up. 

Crit Happens likes this

19 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

One thing I noticed while watching the film was that there only seemed to be BB units around, both for the First Order and the Resistance. I think the only R series astromechs were in the X-wings and R2 on the Falcon, but well all of those fighters in the hangar blew up. 

Well yeah. If we're honest, they are a better design in a lot of ways. They show a clear advancement in technology.

13 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Well yeah. If we're honest, they are a better design in a lot of ways. They show a clear advancement in technology.

Eh, definitely better than a R1 but I still think the main R series were better overall. Until I see a BB series droid going up on the hull of a ship I'll hold my reservations. And I have to imagine that they have an even harder time dealing with stairs than the R series. 

Captain Lackwit likes this

45 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

we saw more R series used by the Resistance in TFA, but i suspect that not many of them survived, given you had Starkiller base attack, then the battle over D'Qar, and the destruction of the main hanger (and all the ready fighters) on the Raddus.

1 hour ago, Animewarsdude said:

Eh, definitely better than a R1 but I still think the main R series were better overall. Until I see a BB series droid going up on the hull of a ship I'll hold my reservations. And I have to imagine that they have an even harder time dealing with stairs than the R series. 

With all the little arms that BB-8 has, I actually quite doubt stairs are much trouble. But it should be noted that BB units were PROBABLY made very specifically, with starfighters in mind.

As BB-9E is BB-8’s evil counterpart, I’d kinda like to see him with an ability that’s the inverse of BB-8’s:

•BB-9E

Crew. First Order only. 3 points.

When you reveal a red maneuver, you may perform a free boost action. 

It’s nothing to do with his in-movie role, but it would be very useful for keeping the Upsilon’s guns on target if you dialed in a 1-turn. 

PoorGreedo and Arma Quattro like this

I think he should definitely be dial manipulation. Maybe something like,

BB-9E: 4 points Crew: Imperial Only. At the start of the activation phase, choose an enemy ship within range 1-3. You may look at it's maneuver dial. Then choose one friendly ship within Range 1-3, you may rotate it's dial to another maneuver of the same color as it's previous maneuver.

PoorGreedo likes this

13 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

With all the little arms that BB-8 has, I actually quite doubt stairs are much trouble. But it should be noted that BB units were PROBABLY made very specifically, with starfighters in mind.

If R2 can magically fly, weighing at least 100 pounds, a ball can manage some stairs. I also agree it is a major upgrade to be able to lift and carry your nav computer. Luke could have easily got stuck on Degobah if R2 had been eaten by a fish, not to mention if an R unit is damaged you are fixing it right there not taking it to a workbench or fresh parts.

It also seems like the head of a BB unit can operate independently of it's body. As evidenced by BB-8 putting his head back on. So it's a little more resistant to getting knocked around, a BB unit also can't be knocked over and get stuck. It's a ball after all,

1 hour ago, Crit Happens said:

Also, it shows BB8 descending stairs in TFA. I'm sure they're designed large enough to ascend an average step. 

Yep, and he goes down a tricky spiral set in TLJ too.

19 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Yeah; missed opportunity there (the whole Funn-Rose story line was a waste; I'd rewrite the whole thing with a spy on the Rebel cruiser -- maybe BB-9E!)

For an ability -- 1 point crew, discard to discard a target lock!

Crit Happens likes this

23 hours ago, Crit Happens said:

... In game, I really hope we get him as a crew member soon. But what would the ability be? Something that disrupts the opponents plan I think. 

Let's hear your ideas for BB-9E in X wing! ...

How about something like:

During setup, after all ships are placed, you may discard this card and then select one enemy ship. You may move that ship up to range 2 from its current position. (probably no overlaps etc)

This could definitely disrupt the enemy's plans. :angry: