Sign in to follow this  
Blail Blerg

Who won the wave?

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Warlon said:

To be perfectly honest I think this ship just comes down to playstyle, obviously against turrets or hyper maneuverable ships it's going to struggle, but it can still hold it's own.

Therein lies the problem - the game is replete with hyper-mobile ships, ships with turrets, and hyper-mobile ships with turrets. It's not a good time to be an arc-locked ship with no tricks, and the Alpha-Class's tricks are poor.

5 hours ago, Warlon said:

Saying that the nostalgia from fans is what blinds them to liking the ship so much, I disagree. Most people, myself included, identify with the "cult" as a joke. The ship does seem "average", but I think that's what FFG was going for, it seems like, to me, that they're trying to keep the Jumpmaster from repeating.

Unfortunately for them, that 'joke' has become painfully unfunny by this point - like I said before, it is what turned me against the ship long before there was any notion of it actually being in the game. Wanting to avoid another Jumpmaster is one thing, but that can be done while maintaining an interesting ship with varied builds, multiple useable pilot choices and its own flavour - the Phantom II is a great example.

5 hours ago, Warlon said:

For it's points, however, I think it is much better than you give it credit. Harpoon missiles are one of if not the best missiles in the game, and it alongside LRS for 22 points gives you:

4 attack dice with full mods, 7 health (3 of which are shields) and 2 agility.

That's pretty good for what you get.

Obviously this is just your opinion, and I can't ask you to change it, but I disagree that it is the worst ship of the wave, the amount of raw firepower you get for the price is too much to be ignored.

That particular build is reasonable, yes - but it is one of only two viable ones, neither of which utilise what is supposed to mark the ship out as unique. I'm all for new ships not always needing new mechanics, but to include two that are all but useless is poor design, which is my core point. For something that (for some reason) has been desired by a vocal subset for so long to be so dull and unfaithful to even its own background is quite a disappointing reflection of FFG's designers.

5 hours ago, hawk32 said:

He's right, and everyone else is wrong.  Everyone takes the 0pt titles on other ships, so people not taking a 2pt title to trim points means it is bad.

No, people not taking the 1pt title for anything other than the cannon slots (at which point they should have been included at base for +1pt on the chassis) or the 2pt title AT ALL because the characteristic abilities on them are so poor, means they are badly designed cards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best ship?  Gunboat

Best faction? Imperial

Best 3 cards? Maul, Flight Assist Astromech, Trajectory Simulator

--

Worst ship:  Kimogila

Worst faction:  Scum

Most disappointing 3 cards:  Saturation Salvo, Linked Battery, Crossfire Formation

Most "ugh I cannot believe you did that and terrible game design" choices?  Kylo Ren's points cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best ship: Gunboat, because it's so versatile even if some of the builds are subpar 

Best faction: Imperial, because of the gunboat and Silencer

Best 3 cards: Jamming Beam, Scrambler Missiles (hey, I like jamming and these are cheap), and Flight-Assist Astromech (if I flew Rebels/Resistance I would have to buy at least 3 shuttles)

--

Worst ship: M12-L Kimogila (too expensive and clunky)

Worst faction: Scum

Most disappointing 3 cards: Linked Battery (I would have loved to use this on Imperial Boba...), Saturation Salvo (should have included cannons imho), *tie* the 2 Alpha titles (should have been 0 point cost).

Most "ugh I cannot believe you did that and terrible game design" choices: Bullseye arc, but not for the reason you might think. I took one look at it and thought "Why don't the TIEs with chin cannon have this?" Granted, its because the game was released years ago but now I want a Bullseye on my TIEs.

Edited by impspy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MalusCalibur said:

should have been included at base for +1pt on the chassis

Which makes the missile generics much less efficient.

I do think it would've been nice if the other title allowed you to equip an additional 0pt modification.  Gets you the little bit extra they might need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MalusCalibur said:

No, people not taking the 1pt title for anything other than the cannon slots (at which point they should have been included at base for +1pt on the chassis) or the 2pt title AT ALL because the characteristic abilities on them are so poor, means they are badly designed cards.

Amen. I like the Gunboat, but MAN are the titles terrible. It's a common theme with FFG- Imperial cards tend to be VERY conservative, very overbalanced, and generally bland (not much synergy or card combos outside of expansions). Gunboat is a perfect example- a ship that is decent but held back by either inflexibility or sheer overcost. All I'm seeing on tables is Nus with no title, LRS, and some ordinance (only ever Cruise or Harpoon)- and that's sad. Aces are way overcosted, titles are way too restrictive (really FFG I can't use Ions with XG-1?), and the ship just generally gives me a feeling of 'man this could have been so much more interesting'.

That being said, I think this wave opened up the meta quite a bit and I like the state of the game a lot more. Now if we could just get a wookie nerf, the game would really shine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think everybody crapping on the OS-1 title really need more practice time with the ship, and a change in play style. You cannot knife fight with these ships, hit and run. Yes, with slam you can absolutely outrun even fat turrets. No formation either.

If you're not having success with them, you have to be flying them with an incorrect strategy. They fly very different from any other ship, you must unlearn what you think you know about the game with these guys. They are tricky for sure, its a higher skill requirement than simply getting stuck in the fur ball. But it is very rewarding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MalusCalibur said:

Therein lies the problem - the game is replete with hyper-mobile ships, ships with turrets, and hyper-mobile ships with turrets. It's not a good time to be an arc-locked ship with no tricks, and the Alpha-Class's tricks are poor.

Unfortunately for them, that 'joke' has become painfully unfunny by this point - like I said before, it is what turned me against the ship long before there was any notion of it actually being in the game. Wanting to avoid another Jumpmaster is one thing, but that can be done while maintaining an interesting ship with varied builds, multiple useable pilot choices and its own flavour - the Phantom II is a great example.

That particular build is reasonable, yes - but it is one of only two viable ones, neither of which utilise what is supposed to mark the ship out as unique. I'm all for new ships not always needing new mechanics, but to include two that are all but useless is poor design, which is my core point. For something that (for some reason) has been desired by a vocal subset for so long to be so dull and unfaithful to even its own background is quite a disappointing reflection of FFG's designers.

No, people not taking the 1pt title for anything other than the cannon slots (at which point they should have been included at base for +1pt on the chassis) or the 2pt title AT ALL because the characteristic abilities on them are so poor, means they are badly designed cards.

To be honest only 1 or 2 builds being viable in the meta is kind of the norm in X wing, unfortunately.

Ordnance in general is still pretty mediocre and I think that is one of my issues with the ship, not because of the ship itself but because it's held back by previous design choices.

Honestly I think if the Xg-1 title had allowed 3 cost cannons to shoot past the WD token this ship would be way better, I already think it is good, but I'm looking at it from a different view point.

Or even better, just get rid of SLAM entirely and give it a white 4 forward and a k turn, preferably 4-5 speed.

Against turrets though I think that comes down to the skill of the pilot behind the Gunboat, turrets can't stay out of your arc forever, and SLAM gives you a way to catch up or get out of the way.

Time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Favoritism Flight Games said:

Amen. I like the Gunboat, but MAN are the titles terrible. It's a common theme with FFG- Imperial cards tend to be VERY conservative, very overbalanced, and generally bland (not much synergy or card combos outside of expansions). Gunboat is a perfect example- a ship that is decent but held back by either inflexibility or sheer overcost. All I'm seeing on tables is Nus with no title, LRS, and some ordinance (only ever Cruise or Harpoon)- and that's sad. Aces are way overcosted, titles are way too restrictive (really FFG I can't use Ions with XG-1?), and the ship just generally gives me a feeling of 'man this could have been so much more interesting'.

That being said, I think this wave opened up the meta quite a bit and I like the state of the game a lot more. Now if we could just get a wookie nerf, the game would really shine.

“Overbalanced”? If it’s valanced how can it be over or under at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pooleman said:

“Overbalanced”? If it’s valanced how can it be over or under at all. 

I mean like they were REALLY concerned that things might be too powerful, and ends up they just end up being 'meh' and completely superfluous. Gunboat titles are a good example: they have many conditions designed to reign in their power level- to the point where they're just unnecessary. Maybe overbalanced is the wrong term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Favoritism Flight Games said:

I mean like they were REALLY concerned that things might be too powerful, and ends up they just end up being 'meh' and completely superfluous. Gunboat titles are a good example: they have many conditions designed to reign in their power level- to the point where they're just unnecessary. Maybe overbalanced is the wrong term.

In forum speak you make perfect sense with the term “overbalanced”. 

In non-forum speak, I think the word your looking for is “restricted”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Stay On The Leader said:

Most disappointing 3 cards:  Saturation Salvo, Linked Battery, Crossfire Formation

 

I've had good success with Linked Battery on the gunboats. Unless your disappointment is that it's an upgrade that's tied to the gunboats only. Which I totally understand that as a criticism of a card. 

As for the Crossfire Formation, agreed 100%. 2 points for gaining an eye on defense and maybe having a ship at Range 1 that may be a resistance ship. No thanks.

Edited by jwilliamson12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jwilliamson12 said:

I've had good success with Linked Battery on the gunboats. Unless your disappointment is that it's an upgrade that's tied to the gunboats only. Which I totally understand that as a criticism of a card. 

As for the Crossfire Formation, agreed 100%. 2 points for gaining an eye on defense and maybe having a ship at Range 1 that may be a resistance ship. No thanks.

It's disappointing mostly because it wouldn't be remotely unbalanced without the small ship only restriction.  Like, not even close.  The only ships that could mount it additionally are the Firespray, Lambda, YV, and Aggressor, and of those JUST maybe the YV gets a little concerning.

It feels to me (with no evidence at all but my gut) like they originally intended to price it as a fix at 0 points, which might just have merited the restriction, then forgot to remove the restriction when they bumped the price up to not-a-fix levels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best ship:  Gunboat

Best faction: Imperial

Best 3 cards? Advanced Optics, Flight Assist Astromech, Trajectory Simulator

Best Wave introduction: Reload action

--

Worst ship:  Kimogila

Worst faction:  Scum

Most disappointing 3 cards:  Saturation Salvo, Crossfire Formation, Scrambler Missles (no dmg)

Most disappointing Wave introduction: Bullseye arc (maybe on different ship would be better- on something with high PS and great dial but with only 2 red dices - this is perfect for a-wing-like ships not b-wing-like ones) and so outdated Kimogila stats - it lands in G1A bracket right away with only some edge, limited alpha strike use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bullseye just should have flatout denied green dice modification, not token use. Aside from the initial joust its REALLY hard to get it lined up and often the target has some other means to defend anyway.

Kimo is a lower tier ship of the wave but i wouldnt say its the worst. Thats the res bomber, its reeks of caution with both Jm5K and Sabine in mind (2die primary because they didnt want another 3die turret...well give it the mobile arc then? and no crew despite being massive because Sabine), its top pilot ability will never work more than once if that, has no special functions with action bombs, and reveal bombs can easily tag itself while the mod to be saved from that goes away the first use almost every time.

I still say the Bullseye should have been the silencer's thing (obviously not the silencer we got with bullseye slapped on heck no that'd be op) because its silencing the target akin to old rpgs - You're silenced, you cant cast spells! (use tokens)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this