Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Blail Blerg

Who won the wave?

Recommended Posts

Best ship?  GUNBOAT

Best faction? Imperial 

Best 3 cards? Advanced Optics, Flight Assist Astromech, Chopper

--

Worst ship Kimogila

Worst faction Scum

Most disappointing 3 cards Maul, Deflective Plating, Crossfire Formation

Most "ugh I cannot believe you did that and terrible game design" choices? The entire dumb Resistance Bomber 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Javelin said:

Best ship?  GUNBOAT

Best faction? Imperial 

Best 3 cards? Advanced Optics, Flight Assist Astromech, Chopper

--

Worst ship Kimogila

Worst faction Scum

Most disappointing 3 cards Maul, Deflective Plating, Crossfire Formation

Most "ugh I cannot believe you did that and terrible game design" choices? The entire dumb Resistance Bomber 

How have you played Maul? He hasn’t been disappointing at all in my set up. He’s been one of the most surprising cards for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best ship: Silencer

Best faction: Imperial

Best 3 Cards: Advanced Optics, Flight Assist Astro, Autothrusters (because we finally have another expansion with them in)

I actually quite like all the ships in this wav for one reason or another. X-Wing feels like it's in a great place right now. The Silencer feels really powerful but also rewards good play and the Gunboat is so flexible. The Phantom II feels like a good support ship without being overpowered. Not 100% sure about the Kimo but I think it might turn out to be a decent filler ship for Scum builds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Tbetts94 said:

How have you played Maul? He hasn’t been disappointing at all in my set up. He’s been one of the most surprising cards for me.

from a Scummish perspective, Maul is just a bad dengar. Dengar can give you 1 or 2 rerolls with... wait... 0 stress! It would be interesting if some Scum pilot in a ship with crew have an Stress-related ability, but the only one is 4-Lom and... He never has been very competitive. The only option to use him is just if you are already playing Dengar as pilot. 

The only place I see him really is in a CROC with Zuckuss, but Epic format has never been a reference of consider cards. 

So, in conclusion, Maul is disapointing to scum.

 

Best ship? Gunboat

Best faction? Imperials: Best looking ships and best ships, upgrades and mechanics.

Best 3 cards? Crossfire Formation (not the best, but the most interesting and original), Advanced Optics, R5-TK (Not the best but very fun to make a list around it.) Now being serious, Flight Assist Astromech. I don't fly rebels, but I want to try some day Wedge with him.

Special Mention. Best looking ship: Silencer. 

--

Worst ship: Kimogila or Resistance bomber, not sure. Kimogila is not so good (we scum deserved not a clearly OP ship), but I'm sure is fun to play with.

Worst faction: Rebels, I think. A lot of stuff, but very repetitive in most cases.

Most disappointing 3 cards: Maul (from scum perspective), Silencer Title (I just hoped something more aggresive, I think), Kylo having the same ability.

Most "ugh I cannot believe you did that and terrible game design" choices? Linked Battery small ship only.

Special Mention. The ugliest: The Ghost II.

 

 

 

 

Edited by Erion_Fett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best ship: hate to admit it, but gunboat seems undeniably funny.

Best faction: imperials, by a long shot. Two cool options.

Best 3 cards: adv optics, threat tracker, flight assist astro (not counting titles)

 

Worst ship: the duck. Looks ridiculous.

Worst faction: scum. Only getting one ship...

Most disappointing cards: linked (small ship only), deflective plating, scrambler missiles

Ugh choice: the bomber. It should be 3 attack dice in arc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Oh I’m going to get grief for this but, this is still from an early perspective so thoughts could change. And the grief coming as I play primarily Imperial/First Order.

 

Best Ship: Sheathpede. Every pilot offers something, you have an inexpensive carrier for a crew, and coordinate action and some of the pilot skills are just awesome really. It comes with a solid set of upgrades to boot, value in that entire pack.

Best Faction. Rebels again the bug is solid. Oh look mom another Turret and bomber, that throws bombs as well, and large base on top of it all!  With a low price to pair with it all it looks ugly, but in the hands of a capable player that thing should wreck some list single handedly. 

Best 3 cards, Advanced Optics, Fenn Rau, and honestly, chopper. FAA remains to be seen though so far reviews have been positive if not a bit limited. 

Worst Ship: Alpha Class Star Wing: I know a lot f hype and praise has been made about this Ship, it’s nostalgia but that’s all I’ve seen it be. Very much over hyped and under delivered in my opinion. 

Worst Faction, Imperial. Both the Silencer and ACSW are leaving me going they look pretty, but what else? Silencer, Amazing dial! Pricing at a Defender and flying like an Intercepter, but I have Intercepters already that are about as effective in the role. The ACSW, I’m stuck in neutral going what the **** is it’s roll? I have bombers for missle carriers that have as good or better pilot abilities. Cannons, OKay is it going to survive enough to use those cannons? Can it get more than one or two shots off? Currently the answers have been probably not, Again time will tell, my initial reaction though is no. I would have preferred something more akin to a real small base support ship that didn’t cost 1/3 to 1/2 my list to be effective at what it does. Bombers in the roll have not really cut it.

Most disappointing cards, Threat Tracker, if that cost wasn’t there to spend the Target Lock it would be amazing. Debris Gambit. Too situational. Saturation Salvo, but mainly because it’s another anti-swarm item out there.

The I cannot believe they did that? Bullseye Arc, Don’t get it or like it, going to find a way to be abused and broken by someone at some point.

Edited by Ronu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Erion_Fett said:

from a Scummish perspective, Maul is just a bad dengar. Dengar can give you 1 or 2 rerolls with... wait... 0 stress! It would be interesting if some Scum pilot in a ship with crew have an Stress-related ability, but the only one is 4-Lom and... He never has been very competitive. The only option to use him is just if you are already playing Dengar as pilot. 

The only place I see him really is in a CROC with Zuckuss, but Epic format has never been a reference of consider cards. 

So, in conclusion, Maul is disapointing to scum.

 

Best ship? Gunboat

Best faction? Imperials: Best looking ships and best ships, upgrades and mechanics.

Best 3 cards? Crossfire Formation (not the best, but the most interesting and original), Advanced Optics, R5-TK (Not the best but very fun to make a list around it.) Now being serious, Flight Assist Astromech. I don't fly rebels, but I want to try some day Wedge with him.

Special Mention. Best looking ship: Silencer. 

--

Worst ship: Kimogila or Resistance bomber, not sure. Kimogila is not so good (we scum deserved not a clearly OP ship), but I'm sure is fun to play with.

Worst faction: Rebels, I think. A lot of stuff, but very repetitive in most cases.

Most disappointing 3 cards: Maul (from scum perspective), Silencer Title (I just hoped something more aggresive, I think), Kylo having the same ability.

Most "ugh I cannot believe you did that and terrible game design" choices? Linked Battery small ship only.

Special Mention. The ugliest: The Ghost II.

 

 

 

 

Maul's edge over Dengar is that you can reroll as many dice as you want and even if you don't use his rerolls he let's you remove stress by attacking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Ronu said:

Oh I’m going to get grief for this

Uh...yeah, yeah you are. ?

Cmon, you don’t like an Interceptor with a better dial and twice the health—something that doesn’t just fold to bombs? You don’t like a SLAMing, reloading, missile firing bad-*** mother ******* gunboat? Git gud. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Erion_Fett said:

from a Scummish perspective, Maul is just a bad dengar. Dengar can give you 1 or 2 rerolls with... wait... 0 stress! It would be interesting if some Scum pilot in a ship with crew have an Stress-related ability, but the only one is 4-Lom and... He never has been very competitive. The only option to use him is just if you are already playing Dengar as pilot. 

The only place I see him really is in a CROC with Zuckuss, but Epic format has never been a reference of consider cards. 

So, in conclusion, Maul is disapointing to scum.

The best thing about Maul is that his name isn’t Dengar. Maul also has the ability to remove stress. If you don’t remove stress have something that benefits having stress on the ship. 

 

Right now I have Wired/Maul/Contraband Cybernetics on my Dengar. I have a completely opened dial, I don’t get screwed by Black One or Countermeasures, have offensive mods and many times I hit and leave a stress there for Wired on defense. With a dial like the Jumps I ain’t worried about leaving 1 stress token. Also with Wired if you roll average Focus/Hit/Blank. You Maul the Blank, if it’s a hit you spend your Focus, if it’s a Blank you Wire the Focus and save the token for Defense. 

 

Maul just isnt an autoinclude like Dengar or K4, it’s a card where people have to actually think with list building.

 

To put that Dengar build in perspective (Dengar/Fenn/Inaldra), the only lists I’ve lost to in about 15-20 Games has been Whisper/Kylo (1 Loss) super close game still and Miranda/Low/Ezra(1 Loss), however, if the game was timed I would have the win condition of running with Fenn and Inaldra since they were worth more than Miranda. Every other match I’ve won and every time I’m more impressed with Wired/Maul/Cybernetics on Dengar.

Edited by Tbetts94

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gunboat and Silencer are my favorites from this wave and probably the best ships. I hate to say it, but kimogila is probably the worst. The bomber is also kinda meh.

advanced optics is my favorite card because of how I can throw it on Poe and he is really happy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Erion_Fett said:

from a Scummish perspective, Maul is just a bad dengar. Dengar can give you 1 or 2 rerolls with... wait... 0 stress!

I think you missed the paragraph break between the "Dengar-like" phrasing and "After performing an attack that hits, you may remove 1 of your stress tokens."  If you don't use the first part of the ability, the second still triggers when you hit. This means Maul could let the YV-666 take stops every round as long as it keeps hitting, among other uses (stop, take stress, shoot, hit, remove the stress...repeat). Other uses, with Inspiring Recruit, you could also use Rage every round and have no stress.

Unless I understand this card wrong, that seems pretty useful.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gunboat

Imperial

FAA, Rho Squadron Veteran, Nu Squadron Veteran

 

Phantom II

Scum

Dunno, don't really have an opinion on the rest.

The XG-1 title with it's 2 point restriction, I REALLY wish it was 3 point so I could use Ion Cannons...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The generic gunboat pilots are great

Flight-assist astromech & advanced optics are great

Reload action & bullseye arc are both interesting additions to the game. Jam tokens are interesting, but they were way to conservative with the jam cannon and jam missiles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Knave Squawk said:

I think you missed the paragraph break between the "Dengar-like" phrasing and "After performing an attack that hits, you may remove 1 of your stress tokens."  If you don't use the first part of the ability, the second still triggers when you hit. This means Maul could let the YV-666 take stops every round as long as it keeps hitting, among other uses (stop, take stress, shoot, hit, remove the stress...repeat). Other uses, with Inspiring Recruit, you could also use Rage every round and have no stress.

Unless I understand this card wrong, that seems pretty useful.

 

Nope, you got it right. Maul is actually pretty good since the two halves of his ability trigger independently.

Maul is a stress fixer who also can give you rerolls for stress.

Try Maralo Eval with a HLC, Maul, and Inspiring Recruit. Reroll up to two dice for two stress, and if your attack hits you remove 2 stress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't speak for the whole wave but I'm in love with the Star wing! Two Nu squadron pilots with HLC, title, LRS and Linked coupled with My Dormitz, Weapons Engineer, Rec Spec and FCS was FRIGGIN AWESOME! Going to try to swap Dormitz for a Silencer build for the extra agility.

Watched Vynder in another game with Cruise Missiles. Adding another green die with weapons disabled was great! 

In the coming week trying out the other ships. I've got an idea for the "Manila Gorrilla".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the gunboat was going to be great, and it has not dissapointed. Imperials really needed something that (a) wasn't a TIE,  and (b) had a cost/hitpoint ratio that actually allowed it to tank a shot or two. Needless to say, the gunboat pulls this off. And as a bonus it plays like nothing else in the game right now. (The k-wing is the closest thing,  and those two have more differences than similarities.

 

I was expecting the resistance bomber to be a bit of a dud, but i placed my faith in it and bought one; flying it has been one of the most pleasant surprises from this wave. I can see a lot of people being put off by the aesthetics and the lack of primary firepower, but the ability of this thing to control the area of engagement is phenomenal. Even if you rarely connect with a bomb (which can sometimes be the case) you're dictating where the enemy can and cannot go. As often as not you're causing the enemy to give up shots and/or spend their actions to reposition rather than modify dice. Crimson specialist is the man as far as i see it, his ability just gives you so much potential area which you can bomb.

 

I haven't had much chance to play around with the sheathipede yet. It feels like a decent support ship in the limited flying i've been able to give it, and it's very competitively costed,  so i know it will find a place.

 

I have mixed feelings about the silencer; it's undeniably a very powerful ship, but i worry that it's eating too many points in a faction that is used to havine aces cost 10-15 points less than it does. Sure it's more maneuverable than an interceptor, and just as tough as a defender. But it doesn't hit any harder than either of those things,  and costs way more; meaning it has to do a lot more work to earn back it's points.

Don't get me wrong,  it's a  beautiful ship,  and an absolute headache to fly against. I'm just not sure if it's overcosted.

 

The kimogila is the one ship from the wave that does not excite me at all. Not sure if the problem is looks or mechanics; I dislike both. No solid reasoning behind it other than thinking that the kimo will melt just like most 1 agi 8 hp ships. Like i said; no solid reasoning behind not liking it... i just don't.

 

Not really managed to form an opinion about tbe upgrade cards yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×