Omega Squadron Pilot (17)
Crack Shot (1)
Advanced Optics (2)

Crack Shot (1)
Advanced Optics (2)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I use to run these guys a ton. Still run them when I play Epic. Weapons Guidance was the tech of choice for 2 points at the time. Now Adv Optics is far better. 

How is do you think it will fair with the meta going forward?

Also, a local store has open up a painting studio? Any idea on how I should get these guys painted? I’m thinking subtle 1-5 red stripes on the side.

The only concern I’d have is keeping that token for more than one turn. @Biophysical mentioned it’s a boon to help with some action economy, for second turn or rounds where you are not getting a shot or shot at. From the list itself. 

Things outside the list are a bit different and you may find it flying very different from how you have in the past.

1 hour ago, Biophysical said:

I'm very interested to try this list.  I've tried Optics with Epsilons and found they did a lot more work because they could get a lot of quality shots with TL/Focus.  

It's just a shame they're a fraction too expensive to fit in 6 ships all with optics.

Crack Shot and Optics looks like a nice 20 point unit. As noted, Weapons Guidance/Crack Shot worked well, but I think Optics/Crack is probably better as you can open with TL/Focus

I am really interested in trying out this list too. I am thinking it will be an improvement on the list I was trying before ("stay on the leader's" slaughterhouse), since the slaughterhouse list doesn't seem to be able to compete in the PS race right now. And, as noted by others, this Omega list seems to be able to withstand some early heavy fire if needed.

Edited by Hotziggety
Autocorrect

7 hours ago, Hotziggety said:

I am really interested in trying out this list too. I am thinking it will be an improvement on the list I was trying before ("stay on the leader's" slaughterhouse), since the slaughterhouse list doesn't seem to be able to compete in the PS race right now. And, as noted by others, this Omega list seems to be able to withstand some early heavy fire if needed.

Definitely. TIE/fo with an evade and focus token are pretty much identical in toughness to TIE Advanced, but 5-to-a-list, not 4

8 hours ago, Eyegor said:

I enjoy most variations of “TIE All-Stars” but I’m still not sure 5 TIES is enough. But this is all theory. I’ve only flown Imperial a handful of times.

4 definitely isn't (which is what you get with the named 'ace' and 'leader' TIE/fo). 

6 works, even with generic epsilons, but you lack the massive increase in capability of crack shot and advanced optics. I'm hoping 5 might be a sweet spot. It certainly works for heavy swarmers like TIE strikers.

3 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

4 definitely isn't (which is what you get with the named 'ace' and 'leader' TIE/fo). 

6 works, even with generic epsilons, but you lack the massive increase in capability of crack shot and advanced optics. I'm hoping 5 might be a sweet spot. It certainly works for heavy swarmers like TIE strikers.

I was comparing Optics FOs to Strikers, and point for point, the FOs are a lot better.  Way tougher, almost as much damage due to easy Target Lock access, more controllable, easier to play without mistakes.  Crack Shot even overcomes the initial damage output disadvantage. 

1 hour ago, Biophysical said:

I was comparing Optics FOs to Strikers, and point for point, the FOs are a lot better.  Way tougher, almost as much damage due to easy Target Lock access, more controllable, easier to play without mistakes.  Crack Shot even overcomes the initial damage output disadvantage. 

Definitely agree on the toughness - especially at long range (where agility 3/focus/evade should stand up to anything short of a missile or cannon alpha strike) - but then Range 3 is a fairly bad place for both a Striker and a First Order TIE to be; the former because it's still vulnerable and the latter because it hits like a wet lettuce (moving before your opponent there's little chance of focus/lock at long range).

I'm less sure about the damage - yes, you get target lock/focus more easily, but if you're doing that you don't get focus/evade, so you're little tougher than a TIE/sk at medium range. I agree with Crack Shot - it's surprisingly effective, even against agility 1 targets.

More controllable - yes and no. The compulsory move does cause collisions a-go-go, but it's also reassuring being able to 'shimmy a bit' - bank one way, bank the other is broadly the same as a straight but with a lateral off-set and I can't count the number of times that's let me 'skin dance' an obstacle that was in my way. On the other hand, the TIE/fo can do speed 1 snap turns and slower speed 2 straights, so it probably balances out in practice. The TIE/sk's much more impressive red dial and the TIE/fo's much more impressive green dial are probably worth flagging up, though.

My main issue with the TIE/fo is speed in manoeuvres. in a dead straight run, it keeps pace with the TIE/sk happily, but it's in long, sweeping turns it falls behind. This is mostly an issue when dealing with boost-capable large ships and SLAM-capable ships like the K-wing.

Still, you have the practice with them, and I'm just speaking from guess-work.

I'm going to give them a try, and I imagine they'll do well.

It'll largely boil down to how often Advanced Optics triggers. Obviously it's a free focus token in the first pass (great and definitely worth 2 points). The likelihood of spending it in the first shot is somewhere between 45 and 60% depending on the range, and you can probably figure the same on the defence rolls for the ship which gets shot at (if it's focus/evaded, you would obviously spend the evade first but if a ship is being shot at it's probably being shot several times). It feels like after the first pass, you should only have focus on about half your TIEs at the start of any one turn.

What proportion do you actually get in practice?

Edited by Magnus Grendel

While I'm still building a more solid body of work with the Optics FOs, I'd guess I carry a Focus using Optics at least half the turns.  You get it on the first turn, then when you move to block you can reload (or if you decided to disengage).  Once the scrum really forms, there's so many guys blocking or cutting off angles to catch quicker ships that won't get shots that a lot won't get shots.  Add that to a stored Target Lock and all of a sudden your suite of maneuvers that leave you with quality shots goes way up.

14 hours ago, FalleenDown said:

Thanks to this thread, I may have bought 2 more FOs, 5 Advanced Optics, and an extra Crackshot, when I was supposed to be buying Xmas presents. :rolleyes:

Also thinking I might need to track down another Primed Thrusters, so I can try running 2 with Snapshot and Primed Thrusters....

Try Zeta Ace in that role.

Zeta Ace with Snapshot and Primed Thrusters is very much "where the [censored] did he come from?"

Or alternatively, Zeta Ace with Intensity and Threat Tracker for "where the [censored] did he go?"

4 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Zeta Ace with Snapshot and Primed Thrusters is very much "where the [censored] did he come from?"

Or alternatively, Zeta Ace with Intensity and Threat Tracker for "where the [censored] did he go?"

This sounds very intriguing for MARIO Kart!

22 hours ago, FalleenDown said:

Thanks to this thread, I may have bought 2 more FOs, 5 Advanced Optics, and an extra Crackshot, when I was supposed to be buying Xmas presents. :rolleyes:

Also thinking I might need to track down another Primed Thrusters, so I can try running 2 with Snapshot and Primed Thrusters....

Hahahaha awesome! Keep me updated on how you like the list! 

13 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Think the second build is getting a bit pricy for a 5 FO list, but will definitely have to try out the first.  Sounds fun. :)

5 hours ago, Tbetts94 said:

Hahahaha awesome! Keep me updated on how you like the list! 

One of my New Year's Resolutions is going be to find more people to play against.  But when I do, this'll be my first list.  And will do...

On ‎22‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:44 AM, Magnus Grendel said:

When I'm practiced with the generics, I'm thinking of trying something like:

"Zeta Leader" (20)
Wired (1)
Advanced Optics (2)
"Zeta Ace" (18)
Snap Shot (2)
Primed Thrusters (1)
Crack Shot (1)
Advanced Optics (2)
Crack Shot (1)
Advanced Optics (2)
Epsilon Squadron Pilot (15)
Primed Thrusters (1)
Total: 100

Zeta Leader can be swapped out for Omega Leader with A Score to Settle and Advanced Optics, and dropping Zeta Ace to an Omega frees up a point to give the Epsilon Advanced Optics instead of Thrusters.

Dropping a second Omega to an Epsilon would free up more points for aces, but I'm thinking 4 ships with a bit of punch are better than 3.

Been playing the list some more recently. It is so much better than the original Weapons Guidance list. Going into the first round with a guaranteed focus and either evade/tl/good reposition is so good. 

I want ant to try it versus the Ghost/Fenn list and see how it fairs. 

With HSCP and Fenn’s ability if I get everyone in Range 2 I expect 8.125 damage into the Ghost. Where if I shoot at Fenn I expect to kill him pretty easily. 

Edited by Tbetts94

On 2/22/2018 at 3:24 PM, Tbetts94 said:

With HSCP and Fenn’s ability if I get everyone in Range 2 I expect 8.125 damage into the Ghost. Where if I shoot at Fenn I expect to kill him pretty easily. 

Would you mind showing us the math for that? It does not sound right to me.

Let's assume all five of your ships get a shot at range 2. A good Ghost player will not allow that to happen, but let's assume. Remember, HSCP will take away one focus token, and Fenn will shut down another. So only three of your ships get to use it. And you can most definitely not count on having any target locks for the first engagement, since the Ghost player will use his PS11 boost to control range.

1 hour ago, MrAndersson said:

Would you mind showing us the math for that? It does not sound right to me.

Let's assume all five of your ships get a shot at range 2. A good Ghost player will not allow that to happen, but let's assume. Remember, HSCP will take away one focus token, and Fenn will shut down another. So only three of your ships get to use it. And you can most definitely not count on having any target locks for the first engagement, since the Ghost player will use his PS11 boost to control range.

Been awhile since I did that. I’ll see if I can recreate it when I got some time. 

Against a Ghost (with Sensor Jammer) I get an expected value of 1.5 damage with a focus and 0.39 without. That's 5.28 damage, assuming the above scenario.

Against Fenn, though, it looks better. And I agree that your chances of killing him in one round are good. But then what? Chasing down the Ghost with 5 (or possibly only 4 at this point) arced ships that only have 4 hit points each and need to spend their focus on offense to do any real damage. I don't like your odds.