Sign in to follow this  
Direach

Expanded Fantasy Armour and Special Materials

Still working on adapting my Swords of Blackwater setting to Genesys. Below is my expanded armour table, and some special materials (rarely) found in the setting. You are welcome to use any/all of this if you like it.

Reinforced Leather is the only wholly new armour type here, though I have made some changes to different armour values for my campaign.

ARMOR

TYPE

DEFENSE

SOAK

ENCUMBRANCE

PRICE

RARITY

SPECIAL

Breastplate

+2

1 Setback on Stealth checks while worn

Chainmail

+2

1 Setback on Stealth checks while worn

Heavy Robes

Leather

+1

Plate and Chain

+2

2 Setback on Stealth checks while worn

Reinforced Leather

Breastplate: Typically consists of a breastplate with faulds, pauldrons, vambraces, and greaves worn over sturdy leather. Commonly worn by elite soldiers, officers, and other successful professional warriors.

Chainmail: A full suit of chain armour, including coif, providing substantial full body protection. Chain is somewhat noisy, and incurs a Stealth penalty when worn.

Heavy Robes: Whether finely made or coarse, heavy robes have the benefit of partly obscuring the wearer from weapon attacks, offering some defense.

Leather: This covers many types of leather armour. It is the most common form of armour in Swords of Blackwater.

Plate and Chain: The heaviest armour normally available in Swords of Blackwater. This armour consists of a full body chain suit fitted to the wearer, with custom plate armour pieces to protect all major areas. It is very heavy and noisy, and incurs a Stealth penalty when worn.

Reinforced Leather: This represents various types of brigandine armour, as well as leather reinforced with pauldrons and armoured sleeves. Also covers leather armour made from particularly thick or scaled hides.

SPECIAL MATERIALS

The use of any of these materials automatically makes the item crafted Superior. In addition, the item may not be further modified with attachments except with the GM's approval. No prices are listed; these materials are extraordinarily rare, and nearly beyond price. Obtaining even the raw materials should be a lengthy undertaking.

Adamant: A very hard, lightweight, non-magnetic metal. Adamant is found very deep in the earth, especially near volcanoes. Though it is extremely difficult to work, when forged into metal armour (breastplate, chain, or plate and chain), it grants the Reinforced quality, and reduces encumbrance by three (to a minimum of zero).

Bloodsteel: This magical metal is created through a bloody ritual dedicated to Morgan, the demon goddess of war and slaughter. It must be used only to create weapons; otherwise, it will lose its power, and Morgan will become angered. Weapons crafted from bloodsteel always have a sinister crimson sheen to them. Bloodsteel grants a weapon Vicious 3 (or adds +2 to its existing Vicious quality), and reduces its Crit Rating by two (to a minimum of one). If damaged, bloodsteel can be repaired by immersing it in the fresh blood of slain humans or humanoids (10 Wounds' worth of blood per step of damage).

Orichalcum: Also known as “the king of gold” or “imperial gold”. This very rare metal was created by Entaren sorcerers in the ancient days of their empire to cement their rulership over the world. It can be found in very small amounts wherever gold is found. Orichalcum is not itself used to make armour or weapons, but when it is used as a component in such gear, or when crafted into jewelry, it grants its wielder subtle but significant power. A character openly wearing an item crafted from (or with) orichalcum adds one Success to any Charm, Coercion, Leadership, or Negotiation check that they make, and subtracts two Setback from any such rolls. This is not cumulative; the effect is the same whether they wear a single ring or a full orichalcum panoply.

Starmetal: This very dense metal is only found in fallen meteorites, and is highly prized by the dwarves. They will kill without hesitation to obtain it. Starmetal is used almost exclusively to craft weapons, against which armour is all but useless. Starmetal grants a weapon the Breach 1, Reinforced, and Sunder qualities, but its unnatural density also adds the Cumbersome 3 quality (or increases a weapon's Cumbersome quality by +1). The Breach quality replaces any Pierce quality the weapon may have otherwise had.

Thronewood: Thronewood trees grow deep in the Mordevuld, and are protected by the Forest Folk, and often by spirits of the woods themselves. If successfully harvested, the dense, dark thronewood can be used to make remarkable weapons and magical implements. A wand made from thronewood grants two different effects rather than one, and increases the damage of Attack spells by four, but its encumbrance increases to 2. A staff made of thronewood allows its user to add two Range effects without increasing the spell's difficulty, and increases the base damage of Attack spells by five, but its encumbrance increases to 3. Bows, staves, and crossbows crafted of thronewood add +2 to their damage, but also gain the Cumbersome 3 quality.

Edited by Direach

Yeah, when I have everything pulled together, I'll make it available. I don't typically work on stuff in a super-organized fashion, more like "oh, that's a good idea, let's write that down", so it may be a while before it's all done. Writing down all the stuff about the world (lands, cultures, gods, monsters) is what I look forward to the least, since I know it all in my head, but writing it down is a chore. :)

A few quality-of-life suggestions on the materials:

Adamant: Division is rarely found in this system, so rather than 50% encumbrance, I'd suggest -1 or 2 encumbrance to a minimum of 1. If you want to leave it at 50%, make a note of which way you should round a half. I also wonder if this can be used with any armor or it needs to be metal ;)

Bloodsteel: Is this supposed to work with any type of weapon? If so, getting straight to Crit rating 1 on a bludgeoning weapon is absurd. I suggest either specifying it can only be used to create bladed weapons or changing the Crit part to Crit rating of -2 to a minimum of 1.

Starmetal: Similar question to bloodsteel, is this intended on all types of weapons or no? And does anything happen to a weapon's pierce quality when it gets this or does it get to keep pierce? (Not that ignoring 10 soak is all that different than ignoring 11+ on personal weapons, but a weapon having both sounds a little messy.)

7 minutes ago, Doctor Xerox said:

A few quality-of-life suggestions on the materials:

Adamant: Division is rarely found in this system, so rather than 50% encumbrance, I'd suggest -1 or 2 encumbrance to a minimum of 1. If you want to leave it at 50%, make a note of which way you should round a half. I also wonder if this can be used with any armor or it needs to be metal ;)

Bloodsteel: Is this supposed to work with any type of weapon? If so, getting straight to Crit rating 1 on a bludgeoning weapon is absurd. I suggest either specifying it can only be used to create bladed weapons or changing the Crit part to Crit rating of -2 to a minimum of 1.

Starmetal: Similar question to bloodsteel, is this intended on all types of weapons or no? And does anything happen to a weapon's pierce quality when it gets this or does it get to keep pierce? (Not that ignoring 10 soak is all that different than ignoring 11+ on personal weapons, but a weapon having both sounds a little messy.)

Adamant: I wrote 50% when I did my notes, I'd just subtract 2 or 3 from the encumbrance of the armour. Yes, it must be metal armour.

Bloodsteel: It can work with any type of weapon, yes, though Morgan favours edged weapons, and it would be significantly harder to make a bloodsteel hammer or mace (or she might not permit it). I think your suggestion is cleaner though, I will write it that way.

Starmetal: It can be used for any type of weapon that is primarily metal, but typically edged. Breach 1 replaces any Pierce quality a weapon might have.

I don't anticipate my players getting their hands on many, if any, weapons like these. If they do, it paints a big ugly target on their backs, because others want those powerful items as well. Life in a sword and sorcery setting can be very tough if you have something everyone wants without the strength to keep it!

Thank you for the suggestions!