Baltanok

Regionals data Dec 16, 2018

Six admirals from Omaha came down and we took first, second, fourth, and the rest were in the top 16.  

First Place;

SHIP: Victory I 73
UPGRADES PTS
Admiral Sloane 24
Flight Controllers 6
Expanded Hangar Bay 5
External Racks 3
TOTAL POINTS: 111

SHIP: Gladiator I 56
UPGRADES PTS
Ordnance Experts 4
Engine Techs 8
Assault Proton Torpedoes 5
Demolisher 10
TOTAL POINTS: 83

SHIP: Gozanti Cruisers 23
UPGRADES PTS
Comms Net 2
TOTAL POINTS: 25

UPGRADES PTS
TOTAL POINTS: 23

UPGRADES PTS
TOTAL POINTS: 23

SQUADRONS 
Colonel Jendon 20
Maarek Stele 21
Saber Squadron 12
Major Rhymer 16
Mauler Mithel 15
Howlrunner 16
TIE Fighter Squadron    × 2 16
TIE Defender Squadron    × 1 16
TOTAL POINTS: 132

Second;

SHIP: Imperial II 120
UPGRADES PTS
Admiral Motti 24
Skilled First Officer 1
Gunnery Team 7
Reinforced Blast Doors 5
Leading Shots 4
XI7 Turbolasers 6
Relentless 3
TOTAL POINTS: 170

SHIP: Imperial II 120
UPGRADES PTS
Agent Kallus 3
Gunnery Team 7
Reinforced Blast Doors 5
Leading Shots 4
XI7 Turbolasers 6

TOTAL POINTS: 145

UPGRADES PTS
Slicer Tools 7
TOTAL POINTS: 30

UPGRADES PTS
Slicer Tools 7
TOTAL POINTS: 30

UPGRADES PTS
Comms Net 2
TOTAL POINTS: 25

Fourth place was a double Liberty Madine list with some transports.  I never got a close look.  

Well Rieekan aceholes wasn’t first or second, so this is clearly an indication that the 300+ post thread about Rieekan is irrelevant. 

But on a serious note, congratulations to the winner (forumite?). Literally nothing about that list outside of Demolisher and Relay has ever been seriously complained about on this forum. And he/she won with a Victory without using Jerjerrod or a Vic II with disposable capacitors. To me, that indicates a very high level of skill and objective play (without strategic, nonetheless!). 

3 minutes ago, Parkdaddy said:

Well Rieekan aceholes wasn’t first or second, so this is clearly an indication that the 300+ post thread about Rieekan is irrelevant. 

But on a serious note, congratulations to the winner (forumite?). Literally nothing about that list outside of Demolisher and Relay has ever been seriously complained about on this forum. And he/she won with a Victory without using Jerjerrod or a Vic II with disposable capacitors. To me, that indicates a very high level of skill and objective play (without strategic, nonetheless!). 

It’s a variation of Norm Wier’s Gencon/Canadian Nationals list.

2 minutes ago, Brikhause said:

It’s a variation of Norm Wier’s Gencon/Canadian Nationals list.

Who? 

Jk. I completely missed the boat on that one. Just like FFGs shipment of wave 7. And the articles

But my comment still stands. Norm understands the game, and not just anyone is capable of modifying a top list and taking a regional with it. 

Edited by Parkdaddy
But my comment...

I was fourth place at Independence regional.  While I do run double liberty cruisers with Madine. This one was a double Liberty with Leia. 

Author: Adm_Stinger

Faction: Rebel Alliance

Commander: Leia Organa

Assault Objective: Targeting Beacons
Defense Objective: Planetary Ion Cannon
Navigation Objective: Minefields

MC80 Star Cruiser (96 points)
-  Skilled First Officer  ( 1  points) 
-  Gunnery Team  ( 7  points) 
-  Nav Team  ( 4  points) 
-  Quad Battery Turrets  ( 5  points) 
-  H9 Turbolasers  ( 8  points) 
121 total ship cost

GR-75 Medium Transports (18 points)
18 total ship cost

GR-75 Medium Transports (18 points)
18 total ship cost

[ flagship ] MC80 Battle Cruiser (103 points)
-  Leia Organa  ( 38  points) 
-  Mon Karren  ( 8  points) 
-  Skilled First Officer  ( 1  points) 
-  Gunnery Team  ( 7  points) 
-  Nav Team  ( 4  points) 
-  Spinal Armament  ( 9  points) 
-  Overload Pulse  ( 8  points) 
178 total ship cost

1 VCX-100 Freighter ( 15 points) 
1 Shara Bey ( 17 points) 
3 A-Wing Squadrons ( 33 points) 

I took third, my list

Imperial II-class Star Destroyer (120 + 55) + Admiral Sloane (24) + Wulff Yularen (7) + Flight Controllers (6) + Electronic Countermeasures (7) + SW-7 Ion Batteries (5) + XI7 Turbolasers (6)

Quasar Fire I-class Cruiser-Carrier (54 + 10) + Flight Controllers (6) + Boosted Comms (4)

Gozanti-class Cruisers (23 + 4) + Admiral Titus (2) + Comms Net (2)

Maarek Stele (21)

Colonel Jendon (20)

"Howlrunner" (16)

Zertik Strom (15)

Tie Advanced Squadron (12)

Saber Squadron (12)

2 x Tie Interceptor Squadron (11)

2 x Tie Fighter Squadron (8)

Solar Corona

Planetary Ion Cannon

Most Wanted

4 hours ago, Parkdaddy said:

I'm a little worried about imperial dominance of the field. we had 25 players total, 7 of which were rebel. I complain but as you can see from my list above I'm just as guilty. 

Edited by dominosfleet

12 minutes ago, bleachorange said:

Honestly I just think people like flying angry space triangles more given equal opportunity. That said, yes lots of imperials at regionals so far.

Yeah, I was very surprised about how Imperial-heavy the field was.  My plan in all three games (I faced ISD + other stuff in every game) was to kill fighters and support ships and run the **** away from any ISD flying my way.  It worked 2/3 times, but in game two I could NOT kill the Interdoctor and ended up only killing Bossk the entire game.  I managed to get my Ackbar Assault Frigates into close range and kept getting Targetting Scrambled.  One more turn and the Interdictor would have gone down, but hey, this is a 6 turn game.

32 minutes ago, JauntyChapeau said:

Yeah, I was very surprised about how Imperial-heavy the field was.  My plan in all three games (I faced ISD + other stuff in every game) was to kill fighters and support ships and run the **** away from any ISD flying my way.  It worked 2/3 times, but in game two I could NOT kill the Interdoctor and ended up only killing Bossk the entire game.  I managed to get my Ackbar Assault Frigates into close range and kept getting Targetting Scrambled.  One more turn and the Interdictor would have gone down, but hey, this is a 6 turn game.

Why not kill the ISDs? 

Maximum points and much justice!

11 minutes ago, Matt Antilles said:

Why not kill the ISDs? 

Maximum points and much justice!

Well, I suppose it would vary on the loadout of the ISD, but I have enough experience trying to kill a Motti ISD that I'd rather just kill the other ships (Vics, in this case) and fighters and not try spending three turns beating through what feels like infinite shield/hull points.  I probably could kill the ISD if I focused on it, but the Vics et al just die so much easier!

dominosfleet, 

Just wanted to say thanks for the dice/range stick trade we did, and also glad you made it home safe.

I was 5th (tied with 4th place for points but he had a better MOV than me)

I ran:

ISD II: Motti, gunnery teams, ECM, leading shots, Avenger, Intel Officer

VSD I: Minister Tua, ECM, gunnery teams, leading shots, disposable capacitors

Gozanti 23 version plus repair crews x 2

Fighters: Dengar, Tie advanced, Tie Fighter, Mauler Mithel

Only change I'd make to this list is subbing Strom in for the TA, dominosfleet pointed that out and it was something I really should have done prior.  This was by far the best regional I've been to, dominosfleet was a fun opponent to fly against.  The entire atmosphere was pretty relaxed from what I experienced.  Hopefully I can come back next year.

Game cafe responded, sorry for the repeat. Deleted names because reasons

First Place
Objectives: Most Wanted / Solar Corona / Contested Outpost
Faction: Imperial
Commander: Sloan
Ship 1: Victory 1 w/ Sloan, Flight Controllers, Expanded Hangar Bay, External Racks
Ship 2: Glad 1 w/ Demolisher, Engine Techs, APT, Ord. Experts
Ship 3: Gozanti Class Cruiser w/ Comms Net
Ship 4: Gozanti Class Cruiser
Ship 5: Gozanti Class Cruiser
Fighters: Maarek Steele, Colonel Jendon, Saber Squadron, Major Rhymer, Mauler Mithel, Howlrunner, Tie Fighter x2, tie defender

Second Place: 
Objectives: Most Wanted / Contested Outpost / Solar Corona 
Faction: Imperial
Commander: Admiral Motti
Ship 1: ISD 2 w/ Admiral Motti, Relentless, Skilled First Officer, GUnnery Team, Reinforced Blast Doors, Leading Shots, XI7 Turbolasers
Ship 2: ISD 2 w/ Agent Kallus, Gunnery Team, Reinforced Blast Doors, Leading Shots, XI7 Turbolasers
Ship 3: Gozanti Class Cruiser w/ Slicer Tools
Ship 4: Gozanti Class Cruiser w/ Slicer Tools
Ship 5: Gozanti Class Cruiser w/ Comms Net

Third Place: you

Fourth Place: 
Objectives: Targeting Beacons / Ion Cannon / Mine Fields
Faction: Rebels 
Commander: Leia Organa
Ship 1: MC80 Battle Cruiser w/ Leia Organa, Mon Karren, Skilled First Officer, Gunnery Team, Nav Team, Spinal Armament, Overload Pulse
Ship 2: MC80 Star Cruiser w/ Skilled First Officer, Gunnery Team, Nav Team, Quad Battery, H9 Turbolaser
Ship 3: GR75
Ship 4: GR75
Fighters: VCX100, Shara Bay, A-wing x3

9 minutes ago, klyver said:

klyver you were awesome to play against too. It's the first regional I've been to and I had a great time, Game Cafe was a great place to play and the TO did an amazing job. Like Klyver said, super relaxed atmosphere and everyone I spoke with were very friendly. 

Well that seals it, Rieeken aces is OP.  Time for the next nerf!

On a more serious note, we had a higher turnout of imps and it looks like most events are seeing similar results, but honestly that's been most of my time playing this game from the beginning.  I just accept that I'll have to fight angry triangles as the emperor intended.

56 minutes ago, MasterShake2 said:

Well that seals it, Rieeken aces is OP.  Time for the next nerf!

On a more serious note, we had a higher turnout of imps and it looks like most events are seeing similar results, but honestly that's been most of my time playing this game from the beginning.  I just accept that I'll have to fight angry triangles as the emperor intended.

Good, good... give in to your - wait! You're supposed to be angry!

I was the 2nd-place-r. Honestly, I was just taking what I thought was the best list that had ZERO squadrons in it and wanted to do a respectable job. I did see some very fair matchups (except having to face the eventual winner... we're sparring partners, we grind each other to close games every time), but I'm still pretty happy with what that list can accomplish.

For the record, I still think Aceholes (one of the many variations) is still the "best" list in the game. I just also think it's very, very boring. There were a couple Yavaris's (Yavarii? Yavarises?), but no actual builds I'd call Aceholes.

4 hours ago, IronNerd said:

I was the 2nd-place-r. Honestly, I was just taking what I thought was the best list that had ZERO squadrons in it and wanted to do a respectable job. I did see some very fair matchups (except having to face the eventual winner... we're sparring partners, we grind each other to close games every time), but I'm still pretty happy with what that list can accomplish.

For the record, I still think Aceholes (one of the many variations) is still the "best" list in the game. I just also think it's very, very boring. There were a couple Yavaris's (Yavarii? Yavarises?), but no actual builds I'd call Aceholes.

As far as your list, I faced an almost exact replica during worlds with my Rieekan aceholes list. Dual ISDs with slicers does such a complete 180 on Rieekan’s aceholes. The dual slicers would have hurt most Squadron players, even those using Leia. But SFO is a much harder counter to Slicers.   

Only difference was he used Quad turbo turrets instead of title stuff to help with anti squadron, and it worked. I could only take out 1 ISD because all of my squadrons would have died if I tried getting the other one. That was definitely the toughest Imperial matchup I’ve faced. Barely eeked out a 6-5 (I believe he went on to finish top 20). 

6 hours ago, Parkdaddy said:

As far as your list, I faced an almost exact replica during worlds with my Rieekan aceholes list. Dual ISDs with slicers does such a complete 180 on Rieekan’s aceholes. The dual slicers would have hurt most Squadron players, even those using Leia. But SFO is a much harder counter to Slicers.   

Only difference was he used Quad turbo turrets instead of title stuff to help with anti squadron, and it worked. I could only take out 1 ISD because all of my squadrons would have died if I tried getting the other one. That was definitely the toughest Imperial matchup I’ve faced. Barely eeked out a 6-5 (I believe he went on to finish top 20). 

Agreed, the list is more or less tailored to put a hard stop to Yavaris. I've yet to face a Yavaris that actually got a proper squadron command off using double Slicers. Leia can fix problems for the opponent, but running with two really messes up the timing and makes it tough. SFO is a great choice, but there is often a "better" choice for the officer slot. 

I'm more scared of Sloane, depending on the variety. Losing defense tokens EARLY (both my brace and my contain were gone turn 2) hurts ISDs, especially when a Demolisher is coming in after the squadrons. 

Do we think that Raddus might be a possible counter to 2-3 Rebels by allowing something like the Slicer Tools approach but instead delivering Mr. Sundalla?  I think it will at least be worth trying.  Glad to see slicer tools working out well for someone.

My theory on Imperial popularity is that in all the movies, the Imps dominate the ship to ship combat for the most part.  You will never see an MC80 jump in out of hyperspace and immediately vaporize a Nebulon like we saw that ISD do in Rogue One.   People like the mystique of the ISD.

I keep recruiting people to learn to play armada and all they ever say when discussing the game is "can I fly a Star Destroyer and is it any good, if it's good I might get into the game,"  :-(

Any idea on the community data indicating what % of player main rebels vs main Imperials?

I really think you see a lot of Imps because more people main Imperials.

Edited by Space_Cowboy17

21 minutes ago, IronNerd said:

SFO is a great choice, but there is often a "better" choice for the officer slot. 

The beauty of SFO on a Command 2 ship like Yavaaris is that Slicer tools can’t counter it. Because in the round that you use it, there is no dial for them to manipulate with a Slicer. They have to wait until the next round AND have a first activation where the Gozanti can land in range of Yavaaris a second time around (which would be impressive, if it somehow managed to survive the previous round). 

But I can definitely see where a Sloan list gave you much more trouble, particularly given the Imperial suite of Quasar Titles. I’d be wishing I had QLTs in that kind of matchup. The squads would not last long

5 minutes ago, Space_Cowboy17 said:

I keep recruiting people to learn to play armada and all they ever say when discussing the game is "can I fly a Star Destroyer and is it any good, if it's good I might get into the game,"  :-(

It shouldn't be hard to tell them yes, though.

They're not asking "do ISD lists win regionals?", they're asking "can I field an ISD and do well with it?" - and they totally can, yeah.